Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet not working on gfs laptop

• 29-11-2009 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

My gf recently reinstalled vista on her laptop and since then can't access the internet on it. She has tried both with ethernet and a 3g mobile broadband dongle and neither work. Both of these work fine on my computer. It's not a hardware issue as I booted with a linux live cd on her laptop and the net worked fine.

Here are two screenshots of ipconfigs from connecting to the net over ethernet cable. The first is when using my computer, which works fine. The first is when we connect from her laptop, which doesn't work and which gives an "Unable to connect" page on Firefox.

So any ideas what could be going wrong, and how to fix it? Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Can You ping the router (gateway in ipconfig)?
    Can You ping your isp's dns servers (in ipconfig)?
    Can You ping www.boards.ie or 89.234.66.107?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 BurningMoney

OK, i pinged each of them and they all worked.

OK, i pinged each of them and they all worked.

Then Your browsers not working, try Firefox without addons and Internet Explorer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,334 ✭✭✭Quandary

Check to make sure she doesnt have a proxy set in internet explorer.

this should give you an idea of how to check it...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/135982

If your version of internet explorer is different then just google how to check it.

best of luck

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Then Your browsers not working, try Firefox without addons and Internet Explorer

The problem exists in both IE and Firefox. There are no addons in Firefox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

What is the setup - switches, routers, VPN, etc?
    What error do you get when you try to access a web page? (Check the browsers are not in Offline mode since previous failed attempts?)
    Does Skype or email (POP3, etc.) work?

Also noticed you had Norton Security installed. Sometimes these security suites can have settings which can limit/disable internet browsing. I recommend disabling all the norton related services in your services list and then try.

Be sure to make a note of the services you changed so that you can can change them back later if need be...

Quandary wrote: »
    Also noticed you had Norton Security installed. Sometimes these security suites can have settings which can limit/disable internet browsing. I recommend disabling all the norton related services in your services list and then try.

Thats more like it, I've seen this happen before with customers, POS software

Yep, uninstalled Norton, working fine now, cheers for the help.

Ah good stuff, be sure to install another antivirus program though, otherwise you'll be coming back looking for advice on removing viruses :D.

you could try reinstalling just the antivirus component of the norton suite or otherwise maybe something like AVG - i have used this for years and never had a problem!

here is a link to it + its free.

http://download.cnet.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition/3000-2239_4-10320142.html?part=dl-10044820&subj=dl&tag=button&cdlPid=11014801

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

I cant believe that people actually pay for Norton-and to think it was the problem in this case blocking internet access. Funny.

Advertisement