Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discussion on The Boards.ie Top 100 Must Have Metal Albums

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Where do I start, the following bands should not be on that list (non-metal bands);

Guns n Roses
    Dream Theater
    Alice Cooper
    Alice in Chains
    Nince Inch Nails

Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti should be out and replaced by Led Zeppelin II (which practically invented metal)

Black Sabbath - Paranoid should be out and replaced with Technical Ecstasy.

SOAD - Toxicity should be out and replaced by the self-titled first album.

Both Slipknots first album and The Subliminal Verses should be there are some of the most innovative metal albums of the last decade.

Deep Purple need to be in there at least once.

sorry but what? Dream Theater arent metal but Slipknot are innovative?? where would they be without Alice Cooper?
    think you need to educate your self buddy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I'd consider Alice in Chains metal, they have a certain metal vein to them. Putting Slipknot in the list? bah!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Kaiser, I mostly agree with you.

I think Subliminal Verses is a beautiful album. Merely because it's different and softer to their old stuff. I'm disappointed it's not on the list. Self Titled is nothing special...

Johhny Crash, AC/DC have their roots in metal. But essentially are rock. Rubbish band though. :D

I know they're rock but I would class G n R as "heavy metal" having hair metal influences... Any one else agree?

Dream Theater are progressive metal so belong in the list. Not sure about 4 albums though. :p

And yea, I already said I don't know why Deep Purple weren't in there. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

I'd consider Alice in Chains metal, they have a certain metal vein to them. Putting Slipknot in the list? bah!

Alice in Chains are definately metal, just because they were from Seattle they got labelled "grunge" but they really werent..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

I think the guy who posted it was trollin' :p

I wasn't, I think it's a savage album. It's possible to like a Metallica album other than Justice ye know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Gerard.C wrote: »
    I wasn't, I think it's a savage album. It's possible to like a Metallica album other than Justice ye know

Apologies then, I didn't mean to come across as an elitist but I thought it strange that out of every album you could have recommended you chose that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Apologies then, I didn't mean to come across as an elitist but I thought it strange that out of every album you could have recommended you chose that one.

Well you could argue that every metal fan should have it, for good or bad reasons, as there is usually a lot of discussion about it :)

Gerard.C wrote: »
    Well you could argue that every metal fan should have it, for good or bad reasons, as there is usually a lot of discussion about it :)

Good point actually, it is a must have. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

I would have thought that Deliverance would have been on this list.
    Who are these guys. Never heard of them. I've heard of Mike Patton from Fantômas, but not these guys.
    (62) Cynic - Focus
    Excellent. If I'd have seen the original thread in time, I'd prob have posted these guys. They're not for everyone, and are pretty out there, but they're brilliant nontheless.
    I might have put Wrath in, but only maybe. I prefer Wrath over Ashes for the production quality in Wrath.
    Not quite sure what these guys are doing here either.
    Personally, I wouldn't put Vai on here as what he doe is more like experimenting with stuff stuff that just happens to kinda sound like metal. The same way I wouldn't have put Satchrianni on here either.

Nirvana are grunge./end

ACDC. Really? In a Top 100 Metal Albums. ACDC are not metal. They're rock. If it was a Rock and Metal list, then yea sure, throw them up there. They're legends, and everyone seems to love them, I'm just not that into them. They've a few good catchy songs, but they all sound the same to me.

Rainbow? Never heard of em.

There are much better albums that these last slots could have been filled by. Another Pantera, Rammstein, Opeth's Deliverance, Chimaira, KsE.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

LD 50 wrote: »
    I've heard of Mike Patton from Fantômas, but not these guys.
    I always thought Mike Patton was more famous for being in Faith No More :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

My only input to the list was Opeth’s Blackwater Park. It’s not my favourite Opeth outing ,that belongs to My Arms Your Hearse, but I put in BP as I think that any metal fan must listen and enjoy the epic that is The Drapery Falls.

Def Leppard might now be coming out with cheesy pop/rock songs and singing with Taylor Swift but Pyromania definitely deserves a place on the list as a great metal album.

As said already,before the term grunge was penned what sort of music was AIC or Soundgarden.

There will be many arguments to this list as everything is now too genre defined.

Nea wrote: »
    There will be many arguments to this list as everything is now too genre defined.

I agree. Some people would claim that Trivium, Slipknot or Korn aren't metal out of genre technicalities. At the same time we do need genres, I find it annoying when people claim that they're not necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Malice_ wrote: »

Yeah and Mr. Bungle. Supposedly he joined Faith No More to promote Mr. Bungle!
    LD 50 wrote:
    Personally, I wouldn't put Vai on here as what he doe is more like experimenting with stuff stuff that just happens to kinda sound like metal.

I put Steve Vai on the list. I was thinking more along the lines that Passion & Warfare was an album that any metal/rock fan should give a listen to. IMO I think he's more experimenting with metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Come to think of it, I think Primordial should have at least one album on this list. Their albums are consistently brilliant and they are the best band to come out of Ireland IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

I might have put Wrath in, but only maybe. I prefer Wrath over Ashes for the production quality in Wrath.

the production quality is admittedly better on Wrath. And Wrath has some great songs, but i feel that Ashes is really when Lamb Of God stepped up to the plate as Pantera's natural successors.

Stanger 36:eek: No Celtic Frost, Testament or Exodus?:(

the production quality is admittedly better on Wrath. And Wrath has some great songs, but i feel that Ashes is really when Lamb Of God stepped up to the plate as Pantera's natural successors.

I wouldn't say successsors, Lamb of God have a more metalcore sound with Groove Metal.

And Lamb of God are alot better than Pantera.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Malice_ wrote: »
    Apparently.:D Not a big fan of FNM either.:eek: Shock, I know. I'm a big fan of Terry Bozzio, who was his drummer for a while, covering for Lombardo. Thats how I know of him.
    Notorious wrote: »
    Yeah and Mr. Bungle. Supposedly he joined Faith No More to promote Mr. Bungle!

I put Steve Vai on the list. I was thinking more along the lines that Passion & Warfare was an album that any metal/rock fan should give a listen to. IMO I think he's more experimenting with metal.
    It just sounds like wankery to me. Sorry.
    Stanger 36:eek: No Celtic Frost, Testament or Exodus?:(
    And no Meshuggah either.

And no Meshuggah either.

Chaosphere is up there. I would've put Destroy Erase Improve though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

That list filled up so damn fast. I'd say if everyone was restricted to 2 or 3 votes we might get a more thought out list.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I wouldn't say successsors, Lamb of God have a more metalcore sound with Groove Metal.

And Lamb of God are alot better than Pantera.

Plus, with LoG we don't keep hearing about one band member being shot. I hate when people keep bringing up Dimebag, he got so over-rated after death =/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Denny M wrote: »
    Plus, with LoG we don't keep hearing about one band member being shot. I hate when people keep bringing up Dimebag, he got so over-rated after death =/
    Oh you'd so better be trolling with that remark! :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Oh you'd so better be trolling with that remark! :P

oh god no, I hate Dimebag :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,008 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Some quick comments:
    - Happy to see Anthrax's Sound Of White Noise in there - it really is that good. Potter's Field has to be one of the most genuinely heavy album openers out there.
    - Another vote here for Steve Vai's Passion & Warfare. Not the heaviest work he's done (see Sex & Religion), but it's an education for any guitarist. (Can you make people smile when you play? Vai can, if he wants to.)
    - AC/DC might not be metal, but they had a major influence on metal. I'm just surprised that Extreme, Mr. Big and Van Halen aren't in there.
    - I think I get why Metallica's "Black Album" is not in there - too much of a departure from what they did before.
    - I'd take Dream Theater's Awake over any of their 5 other entries in the list. I liked them when you could whistle their tunes while moshing.
    - What, no Quiet Riot? :pac:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

+ 1000000000

all this "brother Dime" bull**** does my head in.

Mark Morton and Willie Adler write FAR better riffs and LOG write much better songs as a whole... Theres no Brother Mark, or Brother Willie :P

Dime had a good few good riffs and a few good solos, overall he was nothing special in my opinion. There's way too much fanboyism around Pantera in general, I find them to be very inconsistent.

Chuck Shuldiner is the best dead musician :p

Dime had a good few good riffs and a few good solos, overall he was nothing special in my opinion. There's way too much fanboyism around Pantera in general, I find them to be very inconsistent.

Chuck Shuldiner is the best dead musician :p

Chuck was an awesome musician indeed. I also loved Dead from Mayhem, and Euronymous too.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

Chuck was an awesome musician indeed. I also loved Dead from Mayhem, and Euronymous too.

Dont forget John from Dissection mofo

GrizzlyMan wrote: »
    Dont forget John from Dissection mofo

Silly me. I also forgot about Witold Kiełtyka, aka Vitek from Decapitated. This seems to be slipping further into talk of dead artists :P

• Advertisement

Silly me. I also forgot about Witold Kiełtyka, aka Vitek from Decapitated. This seems to be slipping further into talk of dead artists :P

So how 'bout that Mozart guy?

Advertisement