Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early payment of loan

Options
  • 29-11-2009 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭

I've been paying off a bit extra on a variable term loan, anytime I can. Is this actually saving me anything as the monthly repayments include interest which was calculated on the 5 year re-payment plan or will it just mean I pay the original amount agreed but quicker?
    I've been trying to calculate what the interest added every 3 months would be if I just made the scheduled payments vs the actual interest added with the payments I am making but there doesn't seem to be a handy formula out there and I am completely lost.
    It seems very complicated to calculate interest on an account. All the financial advisors say check your statements but I wouldn't have a clue if interest had been calculated correctly or not.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Poochie05 wrote: »
    It seems very complicated to calculate interest on an account. All the financial advisors say check your statements but I wouldn't have a clue if interest had been calculated correctly or not.:confused:

It is very complicated and the financial advisors who say this probably dont have a clue themselves.

The interest is calculated on a daily basis basis on the amount owed on the loan and the interest rate. The interest is then added every three months based on these calculations. Because its a variable loan the interest can change all the time.

It is possible to work it out but as I said its very complicated.

Also note that the more you pay off the better as the interest added every three months will be less.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Thanks - I suspected as much!

Advertisement