Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Construction in Australia

Options
  • 29-11-2009 10:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭

Hi all
    Im just in my final year in quantity surveying and im considering goin to oz nxt yr! just wondering what the construction industry is like over there at the moment? is there many opportunities over there??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Mickeyie05 wrote: »
    Hi all
    Im just in my final year in quantity surveying and im considering goin to oz nxt yr! just wondering what the construction industry is like over there at the moment? is there many opportunities over there??

Not really for spring chickens tbh. I remember when i fist came out off college and started in a office I was of no use to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mickeyie05

i have two summers experience one of them being with a top 10 contractor in Ireland

i have two summers experience one of them being with a top 10 contractor in Ireland

Im sorry, I didnt realise you were associate or partner material :D

Give this one an email and she might be able to tell you were you stand,

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Teg Veece

Im sorry, I didnt realise you were associate or partner material :D

Give this one an email and she might be able to tell you were you stand, [/EMAIL]

You should probably remove the email link in your post or Tara will have half the construction engineer graduates in Ireland badgering her!

whos tara??

• Advertisement

Teg Veece wrote: »
    You should probably remove the email link in your post or Tara will have half the construction engineer graduates in Ireland badgering her!

Sh!t, you are right!

That was not a smart move.

lucky i made note of d email address any way! who is tara any way??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

lucky i made note of d email address any way! who is tara any way??

Mate seriously.... with respect you are trying to convince us here to give you an idea of work or possibly contacts within construction in Oz.

By typing like a teenager on a mobile I have already formed the opinion I do not wish to connect you with anyone who could possibly link you to me. I make this assumption (Right or Wrong) that as you cant be Arsed to type "The" and "d" will suffice.

When you leave Ireland and start networking from scratch every connection you have is important. Just something to keep in mind as you progress.

Best of luck with it, I would finish your degree and get at least a year solid work experience under your belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

OP I agree with Zambia ....maybe a year or two of experience before you set the world on fire

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

hate to butt in here, but does anyone know of an engineering consultant with openings at the moment? i have a years experience in transport planning/traffic engineering back home.

I have been talking to recruiters but they basically said it will be the new year at the earliest and im keen to get working as soon as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

uglyjohn wrote: »
    hate to butt in here, but does anyone know of an engineering consultant with openings at the moment? i have a years experience in transport planning/traffic engineering back home.

I have been talking to recruiters but they basically said it will be the new year at the earliest and im keen to get working as soon as possible.

were you a Lollipop man? seriously though everything shutting down in a few weeks time and late Jan till it starts happening again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

My 2 cents, Im a PM with a large national contractor. We are very, very quiet. The jobs we are currently on were won prior to the "GFC".
    The only new jobs we are on are due to the stimulus work and are small 2-4m school jobs, of which I am being kept gainfully employed by, thank Rudd.

In Brisbane some of the largest contractors are still "buying" work, perhaps to make smaller guys struggle and force a few more under and to keep decent workers and plant / machinery in work. We have lost out ob=n 10 - 20 m tenders by sums as much as 20% compared to the eventual winner!
    I have 1st hand knowledge of 5 sub contractors going bust and stories of many more in the last year also.

Having said all this we are currently seeing green shoots and some good work seems to be coming up, we just have to close out some deals, alot howeveer is regional. Again federal stimulus.

We laid a few off at the peak of the depression ( paradox :) ) but have remained stable for the last while. We are now recruiting a business development manager in what is an obvious sign the mgmt see the corner is being turned.

As far as graduates, with a whole 2 summers experience, are concerned, you have no chance. A mate of mine with 10 years experience has not found work in 5 months. I also know of many other in a similar position. The lack of a visa is the least of your worries when there are so many more experienced people who will work for less nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

myhorse wrote: »
    were you a Lollipop man?

do you honestly think i would have given up a cushy public sector job for life like that? :D

Diamondmaker im surprised things are like that in construction, the recruiter told me he had lots more jobs for contractors than consultants

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

uglyjohn wrote: »
    do you honestly think i would have given up a cushy public sector job for life like that? :D

Diamondmaker im surprised things are like that in construction, the recruiter told me he had lots more jobs for contractors than consultants

That would be true, alot of the stimulus work is D&C, hence builders who pick up a bit of it, may take some staff to manage consultants and the design process.
    Also

Im quite liking have the Architect working under me for a change from traditional contracting.

Advertisement