Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does my video cut it ?

Options
  • 29-11-2009 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi everyone,

I appreciate you guys taking your time to look at this thread. :)

I have put together a short video as a part of a marketing/communications class in order to promote our college. I have uploaded this video onto Youtube in order to get feedback from good people like yourselves. This has been done so that i can make any changes before i have to submit the final production(After Christmas). Basically we are getting graded on creativity, editing skills as well as effective communication. So any feedback would be great (good or bad)

The idea is based around a young guy leaving home for the first time in order to attend college in the "big smoke" (Dublin). In the video he plays hard, studies hard and comes out as a successful CEO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-g7XqJpmZE

Thanks again.

Dave :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭James G

It'll be hard to give feedback on something I can't see. :D

Mind posting a link to the video?

edit: Looks like you edited it in; I'll have a look at it and post some feedback when I get some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 dave_live

Yes sorry i realised i forgot post the link. My bad.

Thanks for taking a look,

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

the actor's follow-up to his starring role in Springboard The Movie ? Thought it was good but would avoid some of the zooming in/zooming out

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

Couple of things, in the opening section (b&w part), little bit hard to make out any details - of the person and all you see is a dark blob sitting on the couch, could be that the monitor your on has the contrast whacked way up so you can see everything.

Less Zooms, whip-pans, a slow gradual zoom can work better, but if you insist on faster camera movements, stabilisation on the shots and a faster track. You do a pan of the helix, practically crash zoom into the logo and cut away before you can see the end effect of the zoom. The shot of the hub, where you go from the sigh, pan around the door and there appears to be someone cleaning in front of the door, (black bag/bin...? )

I'd loose the static image for the sports centre/hub details and the one at the end for the helix...

less cheesy transistions.

Will the final version have all the frame drops as well?

reece wrote: »
    the actor's follow-up to his starring role in Springboard The Movie ? Thought it was good but would avoid some of the zooming in/zooming out

I realise all of the zooming in and out is a tad irritating. I will do my best to minimize this. I kind of felt there may be too much of a 'fast forward' effect also , whcih makes things worse?? Maybe not?

Thanks a lot for the feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

decob is spot on. You did a good job. With some tweaks it will look really good

decob wrote: »
    Couple of things, in the opening section (b&w part), little bit hard to make out any details - of the person and all you see is a dark blob sitting on the couch, could be that the monitor your on has the contrast whacked way up so you can see everything.

Less Zooms, whip-pans, a slow gradual zoom can work better, but if you insist on faster camera movements, stabilisation on the shots and a faster track. You do a pan of the helix, practically crash zoom into the logo and cut away before you can see the end effect of the zoom. The shot of the hub, where you go from the sigh, pan around the door and there appears to be someone cleaning in front of the door, (black bag/bin...? )

I'd loose the static image for the sports centre/hub details and the one at the end for the helix...

less cheesy transistions.

Will the final version have all the frame drops as well?

Thanks for the input. I see where you are coming from alright. It seems like after some work that you mentioned the video will be a success (hopefully)!!
    Thanks again for your input. It's all a great help.:D

Dave

ps. Im not sure why the frame drops are there because before i uploaded it there were none. Maybe this is a youtube problem or i uploaded it in strange format or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 webmatrix

nice job

• Registered Users Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭afatbollix

dropped frames.... sort it out it looks like ya fecked up...

and buy a tripod, handheld is crap and looks terrable... there 25 euro for a cheap one in argos...

afatbollix wrote: »
    dropped frames.... sort it out it looks like ya fecked up...

and buy a tripod, handheld is crap and looks terrable... there 25 euro for a cheap one in argos...

Will do .. thanks for the input. i know it looks shakey as hell.. looks worse when its sped up too.

cheers anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Great job, except, as already pointed out, the lighting/lack of detail early on. The in/out is a little bit irritating, but I can see you're attempting the whole 20s 'silent movie' theme.

It's worth pointing out that people don't realise how much work goes into compiling, producing, and editing a clip of this length. Take a bow, my friend.:)

dave_live wrote: »
    Maybe this is a youtube problem or i uploaded it in strange format or something?

I noticed those, but assumed it was an upolad issue/YouTube problem, or both.

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Great job, except, as already pointed out, the lighting/lack of detail early on. The in/out is a little bit irritating, but I can see you're attempting the whole 20s 'silent movie' theme.

It's worth pointing out that people don't realise how much work goes into compiling, producing, and editing a clip of this length. Take a bow, my friend.:)

Thanks Freddie. It did indeed take a long time to do even though it may not look like it. I suppose the more videos you make the easier it gets :D

Cheers mate

dave_live wrote: »
    Thanks Freddie. It did indeed take a long time to do even though it may not look like it. I suppose the more videos you make the easier it gets :D

Cheers mate

Any time Dave.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 alexnikle

great work, i like the first part of the video, i can find [SIZE=-1]Charlie Chaplin's style in it.
    [/SIZE]

Advertisement