Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

becoming a web designer

Options
  • 29-11-2009 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,503 ✭✭✭✭

hi all!
    I was wondering if anyone had some advice on a good web design course in and around the tallaght area.
    It would have to start with the basics as i have no web design skills at all and the course would have to be at night as i work during the day.
    My computer skills would be up to ecdl level but thats about it.
    I was also looking at the itt course for web design but it seems a bit pricy!
    Any help you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Brady

Hey, just noticed no one has replyed... thought id chip in. Are you looking to design websites as a hobby or as a potential career? Two very different paths!

Anyway If you are looking to get into website design i would suggest looking into a multimedia course or graphic design.

Most if not all decent websites these days are designed in Photoshop, then sliced up into smaller images for linking etc, there are millions of Tutorials out there to be honest id recommend spending a few months at least learning the basics yourself using tutorials, Then spend money if you would like to hone in your skills.

Step one would be to get your hands on the basics:
    • Photoshop (or GIMP which is free) Phoshop is handy because it has image ready which slices the images up.
    • Dreamweaver (this helps with Coding and Linking) there are loads of free ones also just google HTML editor.

What can be done with photoshop:

click.jpg

63.jpg

24.jpg

All of the websites above have very detailed step by step guides of how they are created, if you have photoshop you can do it yourself!

Photoshop tutorials for above websites: http://psd.tutsplus.com/category/tutorials/

Hope this helps.

tom1ie wrote: »
    hi all!
    I was wondering if anyone had some advice on a good web design course in and around the tallaght area.
    It would have to start with the basics as i have no web design skills at all and the course would have to be at night as i work during the day.
    My computer skills would be up to ecdl level but thats about it.
    I was also looking at the itt course for web design but it seems a bit pricy!
    Any help you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisement