Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD & The Spanish Civil War

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Very good. I always find it mad the Ireland was I think the only nation that had more volunteers on the side of Franco. In fact in the garda museum in Dublin Castle somewhere in there is a either a letter or plaque from General Franco thanking An Garda Siochana for their assistance in the Civil War :)

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

I always find it mad the Ireland was I think the only nation that had more volunteers on the side of Franco

True but as Behan said they "had the notable distinction of being the only combatants in the Spanish Civil War who returned with a larger number than they had when they set out."

Apparently quite a few Irish volunteers who were in The Spanish Legion (?) jumped on board with O'Duffy and the rest of his Irish Brigade when they were sailing home!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Were not the blueshirts entirely useless as their trademark cotton garments were no match for the cold spanish winter. Should have done your research boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Very good. I always find it mad the Ireland was I think the only nation that had more volunteers on the side of Franco. In fact in the garda museum in Dublin Castle somewhere in there is a either a letter or plaque from General Franco thanking An Garda Siochana for their assistance in the Civil War :)

Germany and Italy had "volunteers" on the side of the Falangists in great numbers :p!!

I was lucky enough to count as friends and comrades a number of Brigadistas from the Connolly Column and others from Germany, Italy and Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gingy

Both of whom get an honourable mention in Christy Moore's 'Viva la quince brigada';

This song is a tribute to Frank Ryan
    Kit Conway and Dinny Coady too
    Peter Daly, Charlie Regan and Hugh Bonar
    Though many died I can but name a few

Danny Boyle, Blaser-Brown and Charlie Donnelly
    Liam Tumilson and Jim Straney from the Falls
    Jack Nalty, Tommy Patton and Frank Conroy
    Jim Foley, Tony Fox and Dick O'Neill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I though Charlie Donnelly was shot in the back while running away?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

If so, thats not a great chap to name the UCD labour branch after:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

I don't think this is the case at all. I'll check over Joseph O'Connor's book again, next time I'm in the library.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

As far as I can recall from the documentation, he was shot in the head while taking cover in an olive grove from intense machine-gun fire. This was during the Jarama Front campaign in 1937, where the International Brigades fought with great distinction and bravery. A number of Irish Brigadista were killed or badly wounded in this campaign.

Advertisement