Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I think we finally have a team

Options
  • 29-11-2009 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭

that can sustain a challenge on champions league qualification and maybe even sneek a domestic cup.

Other teams genuinely fear us. You can see it in their play, even away from home. Villa yesterday was a great example of this. It's great to see.

Exciting (and nervy) times ahead.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Let's just hope the Board keep the players we have and not cash in on the stars e.g. Defoe, Lennon, Modric etc.

Maybe if we're lucky Harry might do another bit a clever business come January. I reckon a goalkeeper will be a deffo but now we're being seen as a team that can challenge, we might also attract other top players. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭whitey21

RichMc70 wrote: »
    Let's just hope the Board keep the players we have and not cash in on the stars e.g. Defoe, Lennon, Modric etc.

Maybe if we're lucky Harry might do another bit a clever business come January. I reckon a goalkeeper will be a deffo but now we're being seen as a team that can challenge, we might also attract other top players. Fingers crossed.

Absolutely agree, think we took a good step on saturday and long may it continue! and hope we hang on to our better players...especially after reading this
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11675_5731282,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

our big players wont be sold unless they demand to leave. levy wants success

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Mullo76

that can sustain a challenge on champions league qualification and maybe even sneek a domestic cup.

Other teams genuinely fear us. You can see it in their play, even away from home. Villa yesterday was a great example of this. It's great to see.

Agree with you that we have a team to challenge Shane but the one thing we need to do is finish the games that matter. We dominated Villa in the second half so much that nothing less than 3 points should have done. Looking at the league table 3 points last sat would have made a huge difference and begun to lift us out of the mix. Hopefully we are sitting here in a few weeks after beating Everton, wolves and city. Other results have gone our way a lot this season, that wont keep happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Mullo76 wrote: »
    Agree with you that we have a team to challenge Shane but the one thing we need to do is finish the games that matter. We dominated Villa in the second half so much that nothing less than 3 points should have done. Looking at the league table 3 points last sat would have made a huge difference and begun to lift us out of the mix. Hopefully we are sitting here in a few weeks after beating Everton, wolves and city. Other results have gone our way a lot this season, that wont keep happening.

Spot On. As happy as I was with our performance, and as well as we played, we really should have picked up the 3 points. With Liverpool struggling, and the goons getting stuffed, it would have been a great weekend if we had of won.

Everton becomes an even bigger game now, they are really struggling, if we get the first goal, id fancy us bigtime.

But I agree with the OP, we are worrying teams a lot more than we have done in a long time.

• Advertisement

guys - i cant believe the pessimism here. a draw at villa park was a great result. end of story

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

mickman wrote: »
    guys - i cant believe the pessimism here. a draw at villa park was a great result. end of story

Your right, no pleasing me :D

Probably would have taken a point before the game, but having dominated it for long spells, we were very unfortunate not to have come away with 3pts.

yes we were the better team and murdered them but this time last year we woudlnt have even got the draw

harry was saying afterwards how good the team spirit is now. when villa scored robbie jumped off the bench saying i want to come on etc. this time last year harry said he wasnt sure if the subs were even watching the game :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

The only games I have to say that i have been dissapointed with is villa for not picking up the three points when we where by far the better side and stoke when the game should of been dead and buried by the time lennon went off injured but those games apart i think the team is playing well and its fantastic to see

the stoke one was a sickenere. i think it could haunt us yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭golfball37

Liverpool are having their worst run of form in 50 years lads and are only 3 points behind us. Lets not get carried away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

golfball37 wrote: »
    Liverpool are having their worst run of form in 50 years lads and are only 3 points behind us. Lets not get carried away.

True, and arsenal, utd and chelsea all gave us a good going over with little fuss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

our big players wont be sold unless they demand to leave. levy wants success

I wish I had your faith in him. When Man U comew calling for Modric or whoever he'll cave in just he always does.

spot on. we'd all have been happy before the game with a point and thats what we got.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭ohnoigotsick

i think we need to calm things down ourselves here. for every good result we've had this season, we've had others which have been equally dissapointing.

there is nothing worse , i'd follow the dubs each year and its a horrible feeling when the media build us up year on year after a few good results , when those in the know or follow the team, cringe when when this happens and then it all blows up in our faces.

a fellow yid where i work was saying that we were level on points with arsenal last week and everyone is banging on about their start to the season , i said let them go on about arsenal all day long, i'll gladly stay in 3rd or 4th till the end of the seaon with no one mentioning us

yiddo - levy has only cashed in when it made business sense. 35 million for berba was a great deal as was 18 for keane. i would have agreed with these sales at the time. if we got 40 million for modric then i would also sell him but only if the money was given to harry then of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭ohnoigotsick

yiddo - levy has only cashed in when it made business sense. 35 million for berba was a great deal as was 18 for keane. i would have agreed with these sales at the time. if we got 40 million for modric then i would also sell him but only if the money was given to harry then of course.

i think any player we have sold - carrick keane berba - were sold cos they wanted to go and levy cashed in as it was the sellers market for these players.

40 million for modric - while i dont see it happening would be good money but disasterous for the team and the club longer term

he sells berba and keane and we end up with pav and fraser campbell! Levy should grow a pair of balls and act like Lerner did with Gareth Barry at Villa. Tell them they're conracted and that they stay put til we have a proper replacement lined up. Levy did another great deal in getting 18m for Carrick but again while it was a good move money wise it was a bad one football wise!

i agree that we ended up with terrible players to replace keane and berba. he made a mistake here by drawing out the transfers. commoli was also at fault there in fairness, he probably told levy that he had adequate replacements lined up.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭gerkeo

yiddo wrote: »
    he sells berba and keane and we end up with pav and fraser campbell! Levy should grow a pair of balls and act like Lerner did with Gareth Barry at Villa. Tell them they're conracted and that they stay put til we have a proper replacement lined up. Levy did another great deal in getting 18m for Carrick but again while it was a good move money wise it was a bad one football wise!

What would have been Comolli's role though in all of these transfer though! Was it all levy???

• Advertisement

whitey21 wrote: »
    What would have been Comolli's role though in all of these transfer though! Was it all levy???

Levy has the ultimate yes/no on transfers. I'd say the only one Comolli was heavily involved in was Carrick one. He told Levy he had a quality replacement lined up in Zokora! By the time Berbs/Keane were leaving Comolli was a minor figure.

Levy has the ultimate yes/no on transfers. I'd say the only one Comolli was heavily involved in was Carrick one. He told Levy he had a quality replacement lined up in Zokora! By the time Berbs/Keane were leaving Comolli was a minor figure.

A minor figure??? He was still the director football though...responsible for the transfer of players!
    i know levy is the man doin the bargaining over the price etc but i still think comolli had a bigger role and it was him, who saw how much money he could make from them so he could 'make the bigger signings' from that money made...

i would think that levy does all the hard dealing over money etc but he dosent know anything about players and i wouldnt say he thinks he does either. commolli would have been his adviser and levy did the rest but he was going to listen to commollis advice about players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭StillRickyVilla

Yes I believe this too. If anything the Villa performance was more pivotal than the Wigan one.

To go to Villa Park and completely play them off the park takes some doing and shows we are much tougher mentally these days and have great confidence in our ability.

Hope it continues like it is. We are now into December after-all!

whitey21 wrote: »
    A minor figure??? He was still the director football though...responsible for the transfer of players!
    i know levy is the man doin the bargaining over the price etc but i still think comolli had a bigger role and it was him, who saw how much money he could make from them so he could 'make the bigger signings' from that money made...

by the time Berbs went Comolli had been sidelined. Levy had seen through him and had taken charge himself.

i would think that levy does all the hard dealing over money etc but he dosent know anything about players and i wouldnt say he thinks he does either. commolli would have been his adviser and levy did the rest but he was going to listen to commollis advice about players

berbs leaving on the last day and being replaced by fraser campbell wasn't down to commolli.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I think Campbell was down to the fact they didn't think the transfer would go through untill the last minute

I think Campbell was down to the fact they didn't think the transfer would go through untill the last minute

Levy's fault. he should have done the deal earlier in the window or else make Berbs stay just like Villa done with Barry.

gareth barry was / is a lot more professional than berbatov. if we had made him stay then he would have gone on strike and would be just costing us money while sitting on the bench drawing his wages

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

yes we were the better team and murdered them but this time last year we woudlnt have even got the draw

Last year we beat them at Villa Park...just sayin'
    he sells berba and keane and we end up with pav and fraser campbell! Levy should grow a pair of balls and act like Lerner did with Gareth Barry at Villa. Tell them they're conracted and that they stay put til we have a proper replacement lined up.

Here here Pat, I might finally start to believe we are going places if that were to happen.

Comolli was middle management, and like all middle management he would have been given a brief by his superior (Levy). Comolli's brief was to generate cash through player trading, he would not have sold any of our big names off his own bat without general approval from the board.
    by the time Berbs went Comolli had been sidelined. Levy had seen through him and had taken charge himself.

Not so sure about that chaps, Comolli was instructed to have alternatives lined up in case the Berbatov deal went ahead, and he had made contact with Wigan and Reading re. Heskey and Doyle respectively. Levy closed the Berbatov deal late in the evening but when Comolli tried to open up negotiations with the other clubs Steve Bruce refused to talk and Reading DOF Nicky Hammond told him he was taking the piss renewing contact so late in the window (publicly confirmed by Hammond)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

gareth barry was / is a lot more professional than berbatov. if we had made him stay then he would have gone on strike and would be just costing us money while sitting on the bench drawing his wages

We replaced him with Campbell...other than the wages would it have made a difference?

We should have laid down a marker, we should not be a selling club.

Advertisement