Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ping, ipconfig, etc... not working

• 29-11-2009 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

These command line tools are not working for me on my Windows xp pc. I get the following message for example -

'ipconfig' is not recognized as an internal or external command.

If I navigate to the C:\windows\system32 folder and type them they work fine. So it looks like its something to do with the PATH variable. My path variable is -

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;

Any ideas what could be going wrong?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Have you tried it using each of command.com and cmd.exe? My PATH variable has the same value, by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Click start, run, type %SystemRoot% and then OK and see where you end up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 BurningMoney

Kevster wrote: »
    Have you tried it using each of command.com and cmd.exe? My PATH variable has the same value, by the way.

It doesn't work in either.
    testicle wrote: »
    Click start, run, type %SystemRoot% and then OK and see where you end up?

I get 'C:\WINDOWS' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

The TCP/IP stack is busted.

You'll need to re-install it I think.

edit: The protocol stack, not the OS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Weird. Your path seems to be OK. What happens when you open a command prompt and rather than navigating to the system32 dir and running the progs, type:

c:\windows\system32\ipconfig.exe

?
    vinylbomb wrote: »
    The TCP/IP stack is busted.

If that was the case, ipconfig etc still wouldn't work when run directly from the containing dir.

• Advertisement

Found the problem. XP wasn't evaluating %SystemRoot% to C:\WINDOWS. I just deleted the %'s from the %SystemRoot% entries in the path variable, saved it. Then put them back in and saved it again and it works.

That's weird... Any idea what actually caused the problem? It sounds as if you didn't actually change any setting, right?

I can't recall changing any setting so I have no idea what caused it.

hmm, interesting. Does anyone know if the location on the hard disk either occupied or referenced by the SystemRoot variable could have somehow become corrupt? That would explain why simply resetting the variable would work.

Kevin

Advertisement