Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a USB to update Garmin satnav?

Options
  • 29-11-2009 11:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭

hi

i have to register and update my garmin satnav. Does this require a USB cable to connect the device to the PC?

i cant seem to find the box but i cant seem to remember ever getting a USB cable at all/

Thanks in advance for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

If it's a car sat nav, then you do need a usb cable, with a mini usb plug. It's the only way to connect the sat nav to a PC.

Some older model hand-held units used a serial cable, but that's not very common.

Some models didn't come with a cable as part of the pack, so if you can't find one, you'll probably pick one up, cheap, in a euro2 or somewhere similiar. A mini usb cable is very common, and used for Motorola mobile phones, most digital cameras, mp3 players, even some external hard drives use them.

If it's the first time you've connected your sat nav to a pc, if the device is not automatically recognised, you may need to go to the garmin web site, and download their usb driver file.

Remember, you have 60 days, from the first time you get a satellite signal, to register for a free update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭jph100

hi thanks a million.i used the cable from my external hard drive thanks after your suggestion.

i registered and i think the satnav is updated,not 100% sure.is it the software edition thats updated? do you know what the current edition is?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

A few things:

a). did you download/install Garmin Communicator, as part of your registration process? You need to do this to allow the unit to communicate with your PC (fancy new process to install the needed drivers)?

Garmin Communicator Link

b). the software version will depend on the model you have. Not all software can be put on each model; so what model do you have? Did you download/install Garmin Webupdater? This app. will keep you units operating software up to date.

WebUpdater Link

You may also find voice updates, or other minor updates, using WebUpdater.

c). you are entitled to one free map update, but this must be done within 60 days of getting your first satellite lock. This ensures that people who buy a unit, which may have been in a shop for 10 months, get the latest maps with their sat nav.

More later .....

.... to continue :)

If you're entitled to a free map update, you'll see an update link on your Garmin myMaps tab, when you login to myGarmin. If you don't see the link, you don't have a free update. :(

HTH

Advertisement