Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

using reclaimed railway sleepersin the garden

Options
  • 29-11-2009 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

we are making a vegable garden and we were going to use reclaimed railway sleepers. hasanyone used these before and is it dangerous. we were talking to a horticulterist and he said it was fine

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I don't think you can use reclaimed railway sleepers for a veggie garden because they're impregnated with creosote which is extremely poisonous. You can buy mock sleepers which are of a similar size and shape and look great but are safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 treesireland

use away , for god sake , common since is in short suply, yes it has that stuff in them. and thats where it is, is in them. i think the plants hav more breans than us. to the best of my understanding the sleepers are being used to contain the soil and not grow the veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

We've had them in both front and back gardens for years. The stuff does leach outa them and they get lighter in colour but takes a long time for this to happen. I wouldn't be worried about it anyway.

Only grow a few berry plant but never had an issue with them near the sleepers, plus their a very handy and nice looking border.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Used them for years & never had a problem. Just don't use them where anyone might sit on them especially on a hot day !

Oh & there are a lot of telegraph/ESB poles around which are also excellent. Drill a hole vertically through the wood & drive a length of rebar through the wood & into the ground to lock the sleepers/poles together.

The only disadvantage with used sleepers or poles is that cutting them wrecks your chainsaw chain !.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

I would not use the old railways sleepers as they are full of cresote see the HSA link http://www.hsa.ie/eng/FAQs/Creosote/. As far as I am aware you can use the new railway sleepers that are on the market.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

What me and the missus did,with reclaimed sleepers.Missus is a botanist and works/maintains large vegetable gardens too for the OPW.

Great for plants,shrubs and also ok to use if you want to grow some veg,simply just line the insides of the raised sleep bed with sheeting before you back fill to keep the soil nice and healthy,also mix in loads and loads of manure.

Also if you have any grass to dig up,then turn the sods upside down and place in in the half way down in the raised sleeper beds and then mix in compost,top soil and lots of manure.

This gives very good soil and growing for plants,shrubs and also veg in a raised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 treesireland

nice job i hope you will show the finished project:)

Advertisement