Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unsure about going to the gaelteacht!

Options
  • 29-11-2009 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

I really wanna go to a gaelteacht this year but none of my friends will go...is it hard to make friends?Im really shy I dont wanna go there for weeks and be a total loner...Im afraid I wont be able to talk to anyone since Im not brilliant at irish...has anyone here gone on their own before?
    Which ones would you reccommend?Ive never been to a gaelteacht before either so Im afraid of bein thrown in at the deep end. Im a fifth year btw.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

uniquechic wrote: »
    I really wanna go to a gaelteacht this year but none of my friends will go...is it hard to make friends?Im really shy I dont wanna go there for weeks and be a total loner...Im afraid I wont be able to talk to anyone since Im not brilliant at irish...has anyone here gone on their own before?
    Which ones would you reccommend?Ive never been to a gaelteacht before either so Im afraid of bein thrown in at the deep end. Im a fifth year btw.

• It's only three weeks
    • You're thrown into a house with a few other random people your age; it's impossible not to get to know them very well very quickly
    • They do loads of different group things during the day and make sure that everyone gets to know each other
    • Your level of Irish is totally irrelevant, there will always be better and worse Irish speakers than you. And believe me, if you go to a decent Gaelteacht, your standard will improve a serious amount over the three weeks.
    • Since you're in fifth year, this is probably your last chance ever to go! You could really end up regretting not doing it. Even if you end up hating it (and I doubt you will), at least you know that you gave it a go, and at worst at least your Irish will have improved. What else are you going to be doing for the three weeks like?
    • I would definitely recommend Spleodar, they have a website, google it. I went there three times, after second, third and fifth year, didn't know anyone else going each time and I loved it - and am still in touch with some of the people I met there.
    • Finally, just do it! :) You're really lucky to have parents who (presumably!) are willing to pay for you to go, it's an incredible opportunity and a lot of craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

Went between 6th class and first year. Knew no one, but there were loads of other people in the same boat. Made loads of friends at the time, the landlady was sound out, as were the housemates. The one i went to was near feothnach outside dingle. The class rooms were a bit of a kip but didnt really bother me. As for the learning, i didnt feel as if i was learning much while i was there, but when i got back to school, my conversational irish had massivly improved. (Went to all irish secondary school from english primary school).

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

• It's only three weeks
    • You're thrown into a house with a few other random people your age; it's impossible not to get to know them very well very quickly
    • They do loads of different group things during the day and make sure that everyone gets to know each other
    • Your level of Irish is totally irrelevant, there will always be better and worse Irish speakers than you. And believe me, if you go to a decent Gaelteacht, your standard will improve a serious amount over the three weeks.
    • Since you're in fifth year, this is probably your last chance ever to go! You could really end up regretting not doing it. Even if you end up hating it (and I doubt you will), at least you know that you gave it a go, and at worst at least your Irish will have improved. What else are you going to be doing for the three weeks like?
    • I would definitely recommend Spleodar, they have a website, google it. I went there three times, after second, third and fifth year, didn't know anyone else going each time and I loved it - and am still in touch with some of the people I met there.
    • Finally, just do it! :) You're really lucky to have parents who (presumably!) are willing to pay for you to go, it's an incredible opportunity and a lot of craic.

i think chatterpillar summed it up better than me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

I went to the Gaeltacht and there were loadsa people there who went o their own. Dont worry, everyone is in the same boat thanks to our education system.(Most people there will also suck at Irish)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Mary007

I went in 2nd and third year and loved it! I regret not going back but too late now! You will make some great friends, honestly! To be honest the first 3 days are awful, you feel lonely etc but once you're over them it's great. I cried coming home both times, you won't want to leave. And, the old irish does see a great improvement! I'd recommend Camus, like actual Camus not Ros a' mhil or Tulach, because thats where I went and I really liked it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭uniquechic

thanks for helping everyone!
    just need to bite the bullet and book it now!:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭KateC92

If you're anyway talkative you'll make friends really easily. I went with friends before but there was a girl who came on her own and she fit right in with us and we had a great time!!! You don't need to be good at Irish to make friends, usually we only spoke Irish while the Cinnire were around, and we still learnt loads. As has been said already, you won't realise how much you'll have learnt until you get back, and you'll be saying "sha" instead of "yeah"!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Baile an Locha

Hey OP,
    I know exactly what you mean i was like that the first time i went but after a few hours i made loads of friends and my personality can't be described as accessible so if i can make friendships,anyone can!!!
    I'd really recommend going to a strong gaeltacht where you'l learn loads of irish, i'd recommend any of the Spleodar camps,they last 3 weeks and you're not allowed speak a word of english....i know,OMG. But after the first hour of speaking bits of irish,it falls together,you'l get more confident with every word and they'l correct any grammar mistakes really soon so "bad habits" like saying instead of Bhí and other small but important things are sorted out.
    Any questions you can PM me but i'd 100% recommend it
    http://www.spleodar.com
    -John

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

OP, I'm in the same boat as you. Fifth year, my irish really needs it but I'm nervous about so much stuff.

Anyone I know has said the gaelteacht is pretty clique-y. Is that really the case? I don't fall in to cliques easily and I don't want to spend the best part of three weeks on my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭uniquechic

Aoifums wrote: »
    OP, I'm in the same boat as you. Fifth year, my irish really needs it but I'm nervous about so much stuff.

Anyone I know has said the gaelteacht is pretty clique-y. Is that really the case? I don't fall in to cliques easily and I don't want to spend the best part of three weeks on my own.

Thought I was the only one that worries about being on my own :D
    Which one are you thinking of going to? I found out that a couple of the girls in my year are going to n-oilean but I hear that not that good and I dont want to waste the best part of 100 euros and not learn that much...but it is tempting me that I would at least know some people...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

i couldnt (still cant) speak a word of irish and i went to the gaelteacht for two years when i was in secondary school. it will be fine, there are loads of people who wont know anybody. it is a total laugh, you will love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

Went to Carraroe gaeltacht by myself the year before my leaving and I'd make the following observations:
    - if you're a guy, being good at footie or other sports is a big help with mixing. (although I was useless)
    - try and make sure you're in the same house as your classmates (for various reasons I wasn't, but that wasnt a big problem)
    - if you play a guitar or another cool instrument bring it with you, this is your time to shine!
    - get your mam or dad to visit you halfway, its nice to see a familiar face after a week or so.

I'd say more people go there with their mates than without, but there are will be a good few in the same boat as yourself.
    Overall it was a great experience and I wished I'd done it earlier. So go, and I bet you'll be blubbing with the rest of them when its time go home at the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

uniquechic wrote: »
    Thought I was the only one that worries about being on my own :D
    Which one are you thinking of going to? I found out that a couple of the girls in my year are going to n-oilean but I hear that not that good and I dont want to waste the best part of 100 euros and not learn that much...but it is tempting me that I would at least know some people...

I have no idea. I've only just thought about it, tbh. I still haven't decided if I want to avoid half my year or be in the same place as them for three weeks.

I know this sounds quite stupid, but how bad is the food? I'm pretty concerned because I'm a wheat-intolerant vegan, so finding food in Dublin is a bitch, never mind anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

Lurgan do a two-week course in August for TY-5th-6th only, and it's a good Gaeltacht

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

The gaeltacht was one of the funnest experiences of my childhood. I went twice and it was the best fun I had ever experienced. You get to know everyone really well and by the end of it, it's very sad having to depart from them.

Advertisement