Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naas or Celbridge

Options
  • 29-11-2009 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

Any general opinions on which would be a better place to live in terms of:
    • Value
    • Traffic
    • Commute to Dublin
    • People and neighbours

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

censuspro wrote: »
    Any general opinions on which would be a better place to live in terms of:
    • Value
    • Traffic
    • Commute to Dublin
    • People and neighbours
    Celbridge for three reasons:
    1. It's closer
    2. There is a decent bus service from Celbridge to Dublin
    3. The train only takes about 30 minutes to get to Heuston Station.
    Other than that, meh. Naas is a big enough town, so you'd get more facilities there, but it's about 21KM to Dublin from Celbridge, versus 38KM From Naas. What time do you start work? Best thing is to see how long it takes you to drive in/get the bus/train into work in the morning.

Also, there's a regular nightlink at the weekends to Celbridge, from Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SueWho

Value

If you mean house price value I'd guess Naas is dearer but that's cos it has more to offer- it's more complete with sports clubs & facilities, options for nightlife, restaurant choice, shopping etc

Traffic

I've always found Celbridge to be a bit of a bottleneck as there's just the one main street. Naas is bigger and has a ring road which means you've a a few options for getting around the town if it's busy on the main st.

Commute to Dublin

Where in Dublin do you work and how do you intend to travel?

Obviously if you want to get to the Heuston area Celbridge train service would be handier than Salllins cos you have to drive to Sallins from Naas, realistically.

I drive to the Red Cow from Naas (20-25 mins at peak times) and get the Luas to the IFSC. Takes about 1 hr 5 mins or less depending on how quick you can do the drive.

Naas bus service is good but it tends to take more than an hour with Bus Eireann or less depending on where exactly you're going to in Dublin. The JJ Kavanagh private bus from Naas is much faster and cheaper than Bus Eireann though you've less choice off peak. There is also a nightlink/ night rider service to Naas.

People and neighbours

I've lived in Naas since April and find people are perfectly normal, nice and friendly. There's loads in Naas in terms of sports clubs: gaa, rugby, athletics, tennis, soccer, swimming, triathlon... The new council owned gym K Leisure is really nice and very reasonably priced. There are also other private gyms. There's a great choice of restaurants in Naas, about 4 really decent pubs and lots of others I haven't been in and there's two nightclub choices. You've also got Naas racecourse and Punchestown too which brings lots of activity and business to the local area.

I guess to sum up if you still want to base your whole life (work AND social life, sports etc) around Dublin then Celbridge is a bit closer to Dublin. BUT, if you want to just work in Dublin but do pretty much everything else in your home town then I reckon Naas has more to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭censuspro

Thanks for the info. I was in Naas at the weekend and thought it was a very, busy town with alot of local business which is good to see.

Whats the traffic like for getting out of Naas in the morning?

Does anyone know what the traffic is like a Newlands Cross?

I work in Dublin City Centre btw.

I leave my house (Craddockstown area of Naas, near hospital) at 7.45am and get to the Luas P&R at 8.05/8.10am most mornings. The odd time I bother to leave before 7.30am the traffic is much much lighter. Newlands Cross: it takes about 8 mins (when I leave Naas at 7.45am) maybe more to get from Junction 2 Kingswood through Newlands Cross and into the Luas P&R. It's very much the same everyday, rarely any nasty surprises traffic-wise. I wouldn't recommend driving all the way in the Naas road though cos once you cross the M50 there's only 1 lane for cars. The Luas runs every 4 mins though so that's a no brainer for me.

You're right that Naas is very busy on a Saturday but there's plenty of parking around and Lidl is on the outer ring road so for supermarket shopping the traffic doesn't have to bother you too much. There are lots of nice boutique clothes and shoe shops in Naas (think ladies day at the races!!) and then 6 miles away in Newbridge you have all the big highstreet names (Debenhams, Topshop etc)

I really like that Naas is a bustling busy town. Even though lots of people commute from Naas (making it a "commuter town") it doesn't have that souless feel that some of the new commuter towns have as it thrived as a little economy long before this whole commuting thing started.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Just like to ad: there's no swimming pool in Celbridge, but there is one in Naas. Was in the "old" one, but I believe the "new" one (on the same site) is very nice.

• Advertisement

Yeah K Leisure is the new one on the Newbridge side of town and it certainly is a great facility. You can pay as you go or get annual membership. There's also astro soccer pitches and an indoor sports hall.

I guess it all depends on your interests and hobbies and how much time you intend to spend in Dublin. I know a girl who lives in Celbridge (mid twenties) and she would say that she would never even go to the pub in Celbridge because it's so quiet so you have to go out in Maynooth instead. I quite like being able to walk into Naas town to go out and a taxi home is only €6-€10.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭niamh4626

I'd vote for Naas too, it is a great town and there is a night link service home at the weekends too, think there's a bus that leaves Bus Aras at 12.20 and 3.30. In saying that though, if there are 4 of you the taxi trip is never more than €50 so we'd generally get a taxi home rather than waiting on the bus.......

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Straffan1979

NAAS,
    no comparison.
    Good public transport and Schools
    better nightlife..Great quality old pubs Fletchers,Mccormacks. Theatre and Nightclubs etc
    Racetrack Punchestown- festivals etc
    Better quality of life in generel IMO
    Train service to Dublin up the road sallins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

Hi I live in prosperous, and have kind of an odd question but does any one know the phone number of the warehouse clearance store in Newhall industrial estate?
    I need to contact them, o even if anyone works aroudn there maybe have a look on the shop window, would really appreciate it

Sorry for going off topic but really need this number
    Thank you:)

Advertisement