Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blatter fails to Condemn Henry

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Why would he or should he!? Shoud he condemn Eamon Zayed for unsportingly getting a peno in the FAI Cup Final last week (see link)?

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/csi-delaney-is-on-the-spot-for-sligo-1957967.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

To be expected from him. Basically he blames the ref, would be better if he offered help to match officals with video assistance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Time to drop this now lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

I've been living in England for three months now and the people here are have been laughing at us Irish. I had no problem with Henry handballing, because I know that most Irish players would do the same. Those 'thickos' at the FAI shouldn't have supported the notion of getting a replay, and neither should Cowen. I was appaled by it all, and then pleased at how Roy Keane put it.

....Adémas/also, the reason why the French all of a sudden starting 'agreeing' to a replay was because they knew UEFA/FIFA would never sanction it.

It's football; not life.

DigiJem wrote: »
    To be expected from him. Basically he blames the ref, would be better if he offered help to match officals with video assistance.

Im against it; but Im all for promoting honesty at grass roots level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

So he should come out and condemn every player who does what they have to to win a match?

Move on already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Kevster wrote: »
    I've been living in England for three months now and the people here are have been laughing at us Irish. I had no problem with Henry handballing, because I know that most Irish players would do the same. Those 'thickos' at the FAI shouldn't have supported the notion of getting a replay, and neither should Cowen. I was appaled by it all, and then pleased at how Roy Keane put it.

....Adémas/also, the reason why the French all of a sudden starting 'agreeing' to a replay was because they knew UEFA/FIFA would never sanction it.

It's football; not life.

I didn't want a replay but tbh the English are no people to talk about taking football too seriousely. If it had happened to them they would have done the exact same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Why would he or should he!? Shoud he condemn Eamon Zayed for unsportingly getting a peno in the FAI Cup Final last week (see link)?

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/csi-delaney-is-on-the-spot-for-sligo-1957967.html

How in the name of fúck can you manage to turn a thread about Sepp Blatter and Thierry Henry into you having another petty little dig at Sporting Fingal? According to the completely impartial article you linked to Zayed was "clattered" by the goalkeeper. How exactly is what Zayed did unsporting? Pathetic tbh!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

It's football; not life.

Cue a "hilarious" Billy Shankley quote by some awful pleb now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

An Citeog wrote: »
    How in the name of fúck can you manage to turn a thread about Sepp Blatter and Thierry Henry into you having another petty little dig at Sporting Fingal? According to the completely impartial article you linked to Zayed was "clattered" by the goalkeeper. How exactly is what Zayed did unsporting? Pathetic tbh!:rolleyes:

Go youtube the incident.

Totally agree with podge018, imagine replaying every match with a bad call, etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Go youtube the incident.

Totally agree with podge018, imagine replaying every match with a bad call, etc...

I saw it at the time. Neither he nor the keeper made any contact with the ball and he then collided with the keeper. It was a debateable peno but I don't see how it was in any way unsporting of Zayed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

flahavaj wrote: »

Hahahahahaha - I loved this below the post:

Thanks from:
    keane2097

... Well, he would like it, wouldn't he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

I'd prefer he didn't. No football fan cares to listen to what aul Sepp has to say for himself.

themont85 wrote: »
    I didn't want a replay but tbh the English are no people to talk about taking football too seriousely. If it had happened to them they would have done the exact same thing.

True, I suppose. Still, I honestly didn't expect the Irish to go so overboard about this thing. I think that what helped it gain momentum in Ireland was Sky Sports' reporting of it, combined with the FAI and 'Biffo' (Cowen) supporting the movement too. They should have just stayed quiet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

While the S*n might make a dartboard out of a players head, at least the English don't go on a march for a replay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

It IS a big deal that he hasnt condemned Henry. Not for the sake of Ireland, but for the sake of football in general. By basically blaming the ref he is condoning cheating (if you can get away with it) and as a result will do nothing to ensure the same thing doesnt happen again.

This isnt about Ireland, this is about the stupid reluctancy of FIFA to move with the times and introduce Video Technology. Football is living in the stone age. No other sport would allow such things happen. Football cant learn from its mistakes, and Blatter doesnt seem interested in sorting it out.

We've gotten over the loss so stop starting arguments all you Roy Keane lovers. This is primarily about the future of football , which appears to be in a bad way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Outrage: The Sequel.

Coming to a forum near you - forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

04072511 wrote: »
    It IS a big deal that he hasnt condemned Henry. Not for the sake of Ireland, but for the sake of football in general. By basically blaming the ref he is condoning cheating (if you can get away with it) and as a result will do nothing to ensure the same thing doesnt happen again.

This isnt about Ireland, this is about the stupid reluctancy of FIFA to move with the times and introduce Video Technology. Football is living in the stone age. No other sport would allow such things happen. Football cant learn from its mistakes, and Blatter doesnt seem interested in sorting it out.

We've gotten over the loss so stop starting arguments all you Roy Keane lovers. This is primarily about the future of football , which appears to be in a bad way.

So you're complaining for the good of football so that it doesn't happen again, it not that you're bitter about losing? Should ask FIFA to look into the FFFs accounts for the last 5 years imo.

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    who cares what a bunch of dumb huns think anyway.

Possibly a forum where the overwhelming majority of posters support a "hun" team?

bohsman wrote: »
    So you're complaining for the good of football so that it doesn't happen again, it not that you're bitter about losing? Should ask FIFA to look into the FFFs accounts for the last 5 years imo.

I'm over the loss. But that doesnt mean I cant criticise FIFA for being incompetent and backwards.

Saying that its the refs fault in this incident while at the same time preaching about fair play is nothing but hypocrisy. Blatter is condoning cheating and is not doing anything to implement its "Fair Play" campaign.

Nothing will be learned from this incident and it will happen again and agan and again, and the sport will continue to be made to look like the embarrassment that it is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Possibly worse. Their hardcore supporters may not have exactly left quietly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I wouldn't tar all the English with the same brush,

I've been living in England now for a good while too, and i've had nothing but support, nobody laughing at the actions of the FAI.

The same as on here, not everybody is going to be for or against it.

I wouldn't tar all the English with the same brush,

I've been living in England now for a good while too, and i've had nothing but support, nobody laughing at the actions of the FAI.

The same as on here, not everybody is going to be for or against it.

The people who are moaning at the FAI asking for a replay are the same people who would moan if the FAI did absolutely nothing regarding the incident. These are people who moan for the sake of it. We Irish seem to enjoy a good moan.

The FAI were right in what they did. It didnt work out, so be it, but at least they tried to stick up for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

04072511 wrote: »
    The people who are moaning at the FAI asking for a replay are the same people who would moan if the FAI did absolutely nothing regarding the incident. These are people who moan for the sake of it. We Irish seem to enjoy a good moan.

The FAI were right in what they did. It didnt work out, so be it, but at least they tried to stick up for us.

And now it turns out they asked FIFA to allow them be an extra team in the WC:eek:(Blatter reveealed, awaiting links online). Don't think they understood the concept of how it worked, cos Ireland weren't in a guaranteed position to be going to SA. Now its embarrassing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

thought i'd put this here...it's from the IRN website...

It's claimed the Republic of Ireland have asked to be included in next year's World Cup - expanding the tournament to 33 teams.

World football boss Sepp Blatter says the proposal will be discussed this
    week.

The Republic were eliminated from qualifying by France after Thierry Henry
    handled the ball just before France scored their winning goal.

i've no source apart from IRN, so apologies.

if true, how embarrassing are we becoming?

edit: sorry Mushy, you seem to have mentioned it already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

also, it seems FIFA will entertain the idea of more match officials, but still no mention of video technology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,2483_5734141,00.html

Heres what Team talk said

FIFA president Sepp Blatter has claimed the Republic of Ireland asked to be included in next year's World Cup finals as an extra team.
    Trapattoni: Saw his side unfairly beaten in Paris Send to friend

The Republic lost to a play-off extra-time goal against France in Paris, scored by William Gallas after Thierry Henry handled the ball in the build-up.

Blatter has admitted for the first time the World Cup play-off system must be examined as a result of Henry's handball and the controversy which surrounded the match.

But he ruled out the Republic being added to South Africa 2010 as team 33.

FIFA are holding an extraordinary executive committee meeting on Wednesday to deal with a number pressing issues, with fair play at the top of the agenda following Henry's infamous extra-time handball.

Speaking at the Soccerex conference in Johannesburg two days before the Cape Town meeting, Blatter said the current rules would have to undergo serious examination.

"On one match it is decided if you are in or out and this is not the spirit behind this World Cup," said Blatter.

"We must have a look at this. There is so much at stake."

With a replay ruled out, Blatter claimed the FAI had subsequently requested to be included as an extra country at the World Cup.

"Naturally they were unhappy with what happened and asked very humbly whether they could be team number 33," said Blatter.

"I will bring it to the attention of the executive committee but if we do that, we will also have to bring in Costa Rica."

The Costa Ricans believe they too were eliminated unfairly - this time by an offside goal scored by Uruguay - but Blatter's tone suggested it was inconceivable FIFA would add any more countries to the 32-team finals next year.

Blatter also gave the broadest hint yet the use of two extra officials behind the goal , currently being trialled in the Europa League, could be introduced in time for the World Cup.

"It's possible we will make additional officials for the World Cup but we have to see if it is feasible or realistic. Something has to be done in terms of match control."

If Wednesday's meeting gives this the green light for any rule change, it will have to go the International FA Board's annual meeting in March for final approval.

"How can it happen that all over the world, through tv cameras, we have seen through a cheating handball that a pass was given for a goal?" said Blatter.

"Everyone is asking what is and what isn't fair play. The highest crime in football is touching the ball with the hands."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

SlickRic wrote: »
    thought i'd put this here...it's from the IRN website...

It's claimed the Republic of Ireland have asked to be included in next year's World Cup - expanding the tournament to 33 teams.

week.

i've no source apart from IRN, so apologies.

if true, how embarrassing are we becoming?

edit: sorry Mushy, you seem to have mentioned it already!

Oh dear god, no :eek:

While I'm still annoyed at how we got knocked out, its time to just leave it. Fook Blatter and Platini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Blatter fails to Condemn Henry

OP FYP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

SlickRic wrote: »

week.

:o

Although in that case I claim joint ownership of this years FAI cup for Sligo Rovers and the FAI have to accept going by their own logic

I expect the winners cheque first post this Friday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

In fairness, thats a bit rich coming from a fellow Liverpool fan.

How often is the same ground thread everyweek (if not day) in the various pool threads regarding transfers, owners, Lucas?

Why bother even posting that if that is all you are going to say?

'In the specific case of the Henry handball, the referee should have taken the time to reflect rather than immediately awarding the goal.'

This to be honest. It all could have been avoided if the Referr didn't feel the need to act in a split second.

Such drama here... and all over a group of footballers who are overpaid, spoiled brats who will make much more money than you, I, and anyone else here. I'm glad that Ireland haven't qualified. If they had, I wouldn't have been entertained watching all you guys here gettig so excited about nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Such drama here... and all over a group of footballers who are overpaid, spoiled brats who will make much more money than you, I, and anyone else here. I'm glad that Ireland haven't qualified. If they had, I wouldn't have been entertained watching all you guys here gettig so excited about nothing.

Aw man, man man man man. It really isn't nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

I've been living in England for three months now and the people here are have been laughing at us Irish.

I'm not anti-English in any way at all, but thats a bit pot & kettle, considering they are still talking about 1986. What English kid hasn't seen "that" goal?

We shouldn't "drop it" until they actually introduce video tech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Fook, the glass is really half empty with you. "What's the point of it all?!"

Why did you even bother posting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

I've been living in England for three months now and the people here are have been laughing at us Irish.

:eek: Jesus, we really should shut up now, so that English will think better of us!...
    Why would he or should he!?

Because every player who breaks the rules or deceives the referee at this level should be Reprimanded publically for unsporting behaviour. Why wouldn't you do it if you know you won't be punished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I just watched Blatter on the 5.30 News , he turned a press conference into a laughing stock with a quote ( whilst giggling) "yes they (Irish) have asked to go to South Africa " .
    The whole room laughed .
    His behaviour is a disgrace , I know the request from the FAI is an ridiculous suggestion , but surley a matter for Wed FIFA meeting should not be discussed at an open press conference and mocked in such a manner, no matter how silly the request.

FIFA are the joke !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    I'm not anti-English in any way at all, but thats a bit pot & kettle, considering they are still talking about 1986. What English kid hasn't seen "that" goal?

We shouldn't "drop it" until they actually introduce video tech.

And we have been laughing at them over the Maradona incident for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Why because that's what FIFA and the money men want?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

mixednuts wrote: »
    I just watched Blatter on the 5.30 News , he turned a press conference into a laughing stock with a quote ( whilst giggling) "yes they (Irish) have asked to go to South Africa " .
    The whole room laughed .
    His behaviour is a disgrace , I know the request from the FAI is an ridiculous suggestion , but surley a matter for Wed FIFA meeting should not be discussed at an open press conference and mocked in such a manner, no matter how silly the request.

FIFA are the joke !

here's a hint, the whole room laughed.

• Advertisement

Sorry guys, I was just joking around with what I said. I will say this though: Incompetence permeates all levels/hierarchies of organisations. This is quite apparent in such organisations aas the FAI, the FA (...England), FIFA, and UEFA.

Kevin

Bandit12 wrote: »
    Why because that's what FIFA and the money men want?

Because its BORING, totally pointless and all in vain.

Nobody can honestly believe anything can come of all this whinging for f*cks sake. Theres more important things going on in the country than some pathetic campaign to become the 33rd team at the World Cup. Its preposterous.

noodler wrote: »
    In fairness, thats a bit rich coming from a fellow Liverpool fan.

How often is the same ground thread everyweek (if not day) in the various pool threads regarding transfers, owners, Lucas?

LOL.:pac:

So just because the Liverpool is boring repetitive and tedious beyond imagination (by your estimation btw) every other thread should be equally mind-numbing as well?

Oh come on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,517 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Never mind the exact same thing.
    They be pulling out of Afghanastan and lining the troops up to head to Calais.
    The English can laugh at us all they want, but they're ten times worse when it comes to the sore loser stakes. At least Irish fans aren't feared all over the world, and don't get me started on the weirdness that is Roy Keane, I'm pretty sure he released a statement saying that the world is flat and that he's sent the FAI on a boat to fall off the edge for what "they put him through". Poor little darling, must be a hard life being rich beyond your wildest dreams doing what you always wanted to do and begrudging your country a fiar shake of the stick because of something which you have yourself said is ancient history, what a ......

Glazers Out!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

dont see why he should. it happens week in, week out across the world. does he have to apologise about every cheater just because?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Sepp Blatter takes the piss out of the FAI's request to be the 33rd team at the world cup.

How is this man the President if FIFA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Lads im sure there are plenty off laughs to be had down the years from other countries football organistations. Dont get me wrong FAI are bunch of clowns but Blatter had no right to have said what he did and it should have been kept behind close doors.

I like the Fiver quote. Something to the effect of now we can add 90 minutes to that 800 years. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

This is a bit more like it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

deadhead13 wrote: »
    Sepp Blatter takes the piss out of the FAI's request to be the 33rd team at the world cup.

Ask a stupid question...

• Advertisement
Advertisement