Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jimmy Magee- time to retire?

• 30-11-2009 12:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭

Don't get me wrong, Ive a ton of respect for the man, he's an absolute walking encylopedia of sporting knowledge and has always been most professional.

But am I the only one who watches the Premiership on RTE who thinks that maybe it is time for Jimmy to retire. He often shouts out the name of a wrong player when a goal has been scored and all too often reckons something is/isnt offside only for the cameras to prove him wrong. Then the general tone of his commentary leaves a lot to be desired, he just doesn't get me excited when there is goal mouth action, its all very stand-offish.

He's had a glittering career but is it time he stepped aside and let some new blood come through- Im sure there's plenty out there that would love the job.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You're not the first to raise this, it was done last year

I was post no 2 again :cool:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055392017&highlight=magee

A man deserves a peaceful retirement, yes time to go.
    He does boxing too afaik so with the soccer that's a hefty workload

Give it a rest memory man, you deserved it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Should've gone years ago tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

RATM wrote: »

But am I the only one who watches the Premiership on RTE who thinks that maybe it is time for Jimmy to retire. He often shouts out the name of a wrong player when a goal has been scored

Unlike say Martin Tyler who called Carvalho "Ivanovic" 3 times today.

Or maybe Andy Gray who reckoned that "Gibbs was unlucky to be booked" despite the fact that Gibbs is nursing a broken metatarsal and Traore was playing left-back for Arsenal.

Every commentator is the same, I'm often shocked at how poorly their initial view of any given incident is never mind their ability to keep track of which player is on the ball/had the shot etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Iago wrote: »
    Unlike say Martin Tyler who called Carvalho "Ivanovic" 3 times today.

Or maybe Andy Gray who reckoned that "Gibbs was unlucky to be booked" despite the fact that Gibbs is nursing a broken metatarsal and Traore was playing left-back for Arsenal.

Every commentator is the same, I'm often shocked at how poorly their initial view of any given incident is never mind their ability to keep track of which player is on the ball/had the shot etc.

ohhhhhhhhh its there..........tbh:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I dont mind him so much on the football but with the boxing it is cringworthy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

The memory man's days are over. What a legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yeah, 5 years ago please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

It was over for Jimmy after the commentating he did for Iran -v- Mexico in the WC years ago. Pathetic tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    It was over for Jimmy after the commentating he did for Iran -v- Mexico in the WC years ago. Pathetic tbh.

would anyone like to be given that job TBH.

In saying that , rte need to pull the plug.

Sarge wrote: »
    would anyone like to be given that job TBH.

In saying that , rte need to pull the plug.

He got the team names wrong and no-one pulled him up on it. I don't mean the player's names, I mean the actual team names i.e. calling Mexico Iran and vice versa.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Your country no longer needs you Jimmy but we thank you for your service. Next...

We don't need ya for the boxing either. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

I agree 100%. Time to go for sure.

I've lost count the amount of times Jimmy has described the weight and height of a football player, and then says:

"If he was a boxer he'd be a middleweight" etc etc.

FFS man we're watching football, not boxing, don't be comparing them:rolleyes:

I no longer watch the highlights on RTE now when he's on. He just annoys me

He's a fool, I was listening to the radio a few weeks ago and he was on as the "Boxing expert". He was asked who we should keep an eye on and says Manny Paciquao. Really? No **** Jiimmy. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Hes still better than Ger Canning. He is just shocking. Oh look he has a nickname ! Im gonna keep saying his nickname as much as I can .... STFU Canning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

The man is like a bad smell you cant get rid of. All respect to him for what hes done with RTE etc etc bla bla.... but FFS MOVE ON. RETIRE.

Nobody can post hear and tell me they actually enjoy listening to him now... NOBODY.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    He got the team names wrong and no-one pulled him up on it. I don't mean the player's names, I mean the actual team names i.e. calling Mexico Iran and vice versa.

Lol did that actually happen?! Classic!

In answer to the OP's question, Yes.

He can still be good for a laugh though, and in that respect he's comparable to Dunphy/Giles who will make at least as many mistakes as McGee when it comes to players names/knowledge of teams outside the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Thanks for everything Jim but it's time to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Everton v Liverpool yesterday was spectacular.

Jimmy Magee pronounced Bilyaletdinov in 4 different ways. Whats amazing was that he got it right the 1st time, but then proceeded to say "Billy-a-wanuf" "B-eye-nana" and "Billyatna..." He just gave up on the last one.

After Reina nearly scored an OG when he dropped it behind his legs, he described Pepe Reina as "Dead cool man." I laughed so hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

you want a man who gave us such gems as,
    when andy lee fought willy gibbs
    "in these politically correct days Andy Lee is the white man".

In fairness to Jimmy he commentates on everything RTE have on. Its brilliant during the olympics when he commentates on athletics quickly followed by judo etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Jesus lads, he commentates on the odd boxing fight and 5 minutes of highlights match maybe once a week.

If it annoys ye so much, I don't think it's Jimmy that needs the break tis the highly strung on here.

Jimmy is a true gentleman and well respected legend in his field. I associate him with some the great sporting moments of the last 25 years.

So what if he finds things hard to pronounce or gets the odd name wrong, guarantee if it came down to a sports quiz he would wipe the floor with some of the smart arsés on here.

"A legacy would be to leave something of which people might say: 'He didn't do anybody any harm and he did some people a lot of good.'" - Jimmy Magee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

He should retire and take George Hamilton with him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Jimmy pronounced Thierry Henry, "Hen-ree" for years. Haven't taken him seriously since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

I like him around he's good for an oul laugh just like Dunphy & Giles.

It was great when he pointed out the Ivory Coast flag as the Ireland flag at the last World Cup. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    After Reina nearly scored an OG when he dropped it behind his legs, he described Pepe Reina as "Dead cool man." I laughed so hard.

That was so funny! He said 'dead cool' and then kinda paused before adding in the 'man'. Cringeworthy but hilarious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Yes he sounded a bit under the weather for pool game yesterday. Not his usual energetic self

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

BOOOOO to this thread, I still love you Jimmy.
    I hate watching boxing on Sky because I miss Jimmy's giving out about political correctness and the likes.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

He probably has retired but freelances a bit, to be honest anything is better than Stephen Alken. "And it's there... and it's... number 9... and it's (whatever name he has just spotted on the back of the jersey, two minutes after the goal has been scored)"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Jimmys a legend. He can keep goin til he dies at the mic as far as im concerned.

Ok he makes afew mistakes and talks about boxing abit but sure hes not RTE's no 1 commentator. Hes just fills in on the dross matches at world cups and does the bit of highlights. Hardly like we have to listen to him that much. Unlike......Trevor....Welsh.....Whos the only commentator TV3 will ever employ it seems. :mad:

"Thank you very much indeeeeeeeeeed, Paccccckkkiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeee!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Ah how could you get rid of a man with such a genius quote:
    "Ardiles strokes the ball like it was a part of his anatomy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭ccosgrave

Yeah, I would really like Jimmy to quit commentating on football games, I hate listening to the man. He's grand for boxing though.

He'll be commentating on next years WC not doubt.

Can't wait..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

rarnes1 wrote: »

Can't wait..

No doubt commentating on everything but the match. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

Jimmy Magee pronounced Bilyaletdinov in 4 different ways. Whats amazing was that he got it right the 1st time, but then proceeded to say "Billy-a-wanuf" "B-eye-nana" and "Billyatna..." He just gave up on the last one.

Haha I was wondering did anyone else notice, by half time he'd taken to just calling him the russian :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

BolBill wrote: »
    Hes still better than Ger Canning. He is just shocking. Oh look he has a nickname ! Im gonna keep saying his nickname as much as I can .... STFU Canning.
    Ger Canning is a fooking gah commentator, he should be nowhere near Soccer, I once heard him call a Throw a Sideline Ball ffs. Hate the bloke.

rarnes1 wrote: »

Can't wait..

Jimmy Magee + Vuvuzela :eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

I still get goosebumps when i hear his commentary on Maradona's wonder goal in the WC... "A different class...... A different class............. A DIFFERENT CLAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSS!!!!!"

I think that even though we give out about Magee, Giles, Dunphy and even Bill, it'll be a sad day when they retire and we get generic's like Lampard, Keys and co on Sky who are afraid to rock the boat in their assessment of the game.... i mean when was the last time one of them had anything even slightly controversial to say?

Keep going for as long as possible Jimmy, i for one enjoy your commentary, even if you do get it wrong at times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

simonw wrote: »
    Haha I was wondering did anyone else notice, by half time he'd taken to just calling him the russian :D

In fairness guys, can either of ye pronounce his name? I know for a fact that i can't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bump! Please RTE just put him and us out of our misery....his "commentary" on the West Ham - Sunderland game was the ramblings of an old man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

I'll replace him, I have decided I'd love to be a commentator, It will involve getting a 1000 euro loan and offering to pay my way for a few games if they give me a chance.
    :D:p

I hope he does the WC final.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

WC Final

*Messi gets the ball

JM: Lionel Messi... Many people say eh is the best Argentinian since his manager Maradona, I once had the honour of meeting Mr.Maradona in 1982

*Messi is one on one with the keeper

JM: He didn't have great English but as they say football is a universal language so we discussed everything from Fidel Castro to Neopalitan Ice Cream...

*Messi Scores

JM: Oh and Messi has SCROED!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Seriously, if he packs it in, who will give us gems of quotes like these:

“Craig Gordon has been fingered and dropped.”

“Ahh, denied by the upright. Or maybe he denied himself.”

"Straight down the middle with power… and then into the corner.”

“It’s like Hull are in a lift descending so fast and stopping at no floor and heading towards… the next storey of their hotel.”

"The symbol of peace, the pigeon!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

I'd love to go on the lash with Magee. Imagine the craic you'd have.

My favourite was when he was commenting on a fight between a white fighter and a black one.
    The white guy was wearing red I think and the black lad was wearing white, I think, not sure.
    We'll call the white lad X and the black Y.
    It went something like:
    "It's easy to differentiate between the two, but we're not allowed to that anymore, which is a bit stupid."

Go on Jimmy.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

He should have retired over a decade ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

Could get Abe Simpson to replace him:pac: Would we notice the difference:eek:

Could get Abe Simpson to replace him:pac: Would we notice the difference:eek:

If Germany or France were to play America, commentry from Abe Simpson would be a-may-zing.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

If Jimmy was 109, I'd still have him over Ger Canning or Peter Collins. Would still do a better job :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

The worst thing is, I'd listened to the commentary on Today FM today of the West Ham v Sunderland, and it sounded good, so couldn't wait for the highlights tonight.

So then, just sat down at 8pm, beer in hand, watching it on RTE, then I heard the magic words from Daragh Maloney..... "West Ham v Sunderland, and Jimmy Magee was there for us".....

Fcuk it anyway:mad:

I just changed channel right there and then. I can't watch him anymore. He's gone past the stage of cringing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Thing is, I don't think he was there.

He put his commentary over a tape in Montrose as far as I can make out. As they all usually do on the Premiership.

You can't hear any crowd noise on his mic feed. It's all background on the tape itself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement