Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jimmy Magee- time to retire?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I reckon Jimmy isn't able for the commentary these days. Bring back 'Know Your Sport', he was in his element there.

They had a section in it where someone nominated a topic at random and Jimmy had to talk about it for 60 seconds. He would still be brilliant at that.

Jimmy your subject is: Franz Beckenbauer - " Ah, who could forget Franz, or "Der Kaiser" as he was known, I had lunch with Franz a few years back, I reminded him about his goal against Ireland in 1966 in Dalymount...."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Jimmy Magee was always a sh!te commentator!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

I don't watch the premiership on RTE so i have not heard him commentate on football since the Euro's, but i watch all the boxing on RTE and the man is beyond awful. Really fúcking shít. He picks who thinks should win (the irish guy) and then despite of how his pick is fighting he tries to reason how his pick is winning. Ignores absolutely everything the non Irish guy does.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Borat_Sagdiyev

monkey9 wrote: »
    Jimmy Magee was always a sh!te commentator!!

Back in 1994, Champions league final, Barcelona V Milan.

Milan were 3-0 up and were absolutely dominating. They had a glorious chance and hit the bar with it.

A few minutes later, Desailly was put clean through on goal, Jimmy's commentary:

"Desailly is in, is it five? YES IT IS!! Its four."

Any time RTE show highlights of that game, they blank out the "is it five?" bit, which makes it even worse:

"Desailly is in. YES IT IS!! Its four."

This situation could only happen in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Nothing is worse then that guy (Tim/Tom something or other) who did some commentating during the Beijing Olympics. I think he's some sort of basketball commentator. Cringeworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

peabutler wrote: »
    WC Final

*Messi gets the ball

JM: Lionel Messi... Many people say eh is the best Argentinian since his manager Maradona, I once had the honour of meeting Mr.Maradona in 1982

*Messi is one on one with the keeper

JM: He didn't have great English but as they say football is a universal language so we discussed everything from Fidel Castro to Neopalitan Ice Cream...

*Messi Scores

JM: Oh and Messi has SCROED!!

:pac:

Brilliant.

Jimmy is a legend, his fcuk ups are quality. Remember him during the Holland vs Italy Euro match

"The crowds are out in force here in this, the second largest city in the Netherlands" :D

Back in 1994, Champions league final, Barcelona V Milan.

Milan were 3-0 up and were absolutely dominating. They had a glorious chance and hit the bar with it.

A few minutes later, Desailly was put clean through on goal, Jimmy's commentary:

"Desailly is in, is it five? YES IT IS!! Its four."

Any time RTE show highlights of that game, they blank out the "is it five?" bit, which makes it even worse:

"Desailly is in. YES IT IS!! Its four."

This situation could only happen in Ireland.

When Bernard Dunne became World Champion last year, he was commentating on it. In the 5th round, Dunne got knocked down twice. Jimmy didn't seem to notice this and kept on rabbiting!!

I'm just thinking to myself, 'Jimmy, Dunne is on the canvas. You do know that, right?'

Whenever a Jimmy Magee thread is created, i always, always have to put the following quote in. It's my favourite post ever on Boards. Someone posted it during the European Championships in 2008 when Mark Kinsella was co commentating with Jimmy. Gogglebok was the poster. This is sheer genius!!

Jimmy Magee maykes the odd mistake, but it doesn't taint the essence of the man. Other pundits commentate on the match. Jimmy commentates on the cosmos, and lets the match unfurl behind him. Yesterday he gave us a little discourse on hot dogs on trays, and how they seem quintessentially American even in a European's hand.

"As we sit there's a fly buzzing out his melodies near the window. The shafts of sunlight falling on its back lend it a shimmering beauty, Mark, that truly belies its reputation as a noisome pest, the carrion crow of the insect world. Houseflies are bigger here than at home, Mark, did you notice that? I wonder is it a matter of nutrition, or is there some Darwinian principle of selection at work."

"Holland have scored, Jimmy."

"So they have, my boy, so they have."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

Jimmy at half time on the West Ham v Sunderland game: "it wasn't exactly an anaemic first half but the blood count was certainly down"!

WTF :eek:!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Can someone forward this thread on to RTE?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Dave! wrote: »
    Can someone forward this thread on to RTE?

You can't do that to The Memory Man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

My life wouldn't be complete without Jimmy Magee.

I <3 you Jimmy!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Iago wrote: »
    Unlike say Martin Tyler who called Carvalho "Ivanovic" 3 times today.

Or maybe Andy Gray who reckoned that "Gibbs was unlucky to be booked" despite the fact that Gibbs is nursing a broken metatarsal and Traore was playing left-back for Arsenal.

Every commentator is the same, I'm often shocked at how poorly their initial view of any given incident is never mind their ability to keep track of which player is on the ball/had the shot etc.
    I always liked Brian Moore. An absolute legend. This from 79. Well worth looking at. Stapleton, O Leary and Brady for Arsenal, Probably the best liverpool team ever on the other side. Dalglish, Sounness, Ray Kennedy, McDermott, Sammy Lee. Arsenal of course won this semi in the end. Think Brian Talbot got the winning goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

ARsenal and Pool played that game 5 times I believe as back in the day you just kept having replays.

peabutler wrote: »
    ARsenal and Pool played that game 5 times I believe as back in the day you just kept having replays.
    Yes the seventies were tough. Still remember Jimmy Greenhoffs goal against us when United edged us out in another semi. Listened to it on the radio. the Legendary Peter Jones described the action. Wasnt any easier seeing the highlights either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Yes the seventies were tough. Still remember Jimmy Greenhoffs goal against us when United edged us out in another semi. Listened to it on the radio. the Legendary Peter Jones described the action. Wasnt any easier seeing the highlights either.

How old are you?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

flahavaj wrote: »

I'm guessing 47-55.

Jimmy, is that you???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

I don't think I could say much against Jimmy Magee. The man has a vast sporting knowledge across a number of different sports, soccer, GAA, athletics, boxing, rugby, horse racing etc etc. He has seen and attended more major sporting events than any of us could ever hope to. Might be getting a bit long in the tooth now alright, but always a solid professional broadcaster who learned his trade long before the days of Dunphy sensationalism or Sky Sports Grand Slam Sunday or any of that nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

If the man is part of the Irish heritage of sorts...fair enough. But as a nowadays commentator he surely must live off that alone cos he's awful. He's like some relict from the radio commentary days with the over-picturesque lingo and has obviously become senile too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

After reading this thread, I hope he is commentating on the upcoming World Cup games.

flahavaj wrote: »

What has that got to do with the thread Flah?
    baz2009 wrote: »
    I'm guessing 47-55.
    I started supported Liverpool in the late seventies. So outside that bracket. John Peel was still DJing in his sixties by the way and yet no issue was made of it.
    Magee is getting a bit old but for all that he should be commended for plugging away. He was ill awhile back so he is if anything to be applauded for sticking with something he loves.

Advertisement