Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law Courses

Options
  • 30-11-2009 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I'm more than likely going to do a law degree after the leaving, but can't decide where to do it. Is it true that a degree from Trinity is much more significant than that of UCD or UL? I would love to go to UL and do law plus, but if it is a disadvantage compared to Trinity? How do i decide?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Mary007

It's just more prestigious really isn't it? I suppose it would be the same as someone in England going to Oxford or Cambridge opposed to someone who studied in Manchester. Even though the degrees are the same, the prestige of Oxford/Cambridge is more appealing. But, there are more 'up to date' courses offered by Universities these days like you said Law Plus in Limerick, so you just have to make the choice that's right for you ie. whether the prestige of where you study bothers you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

I do Law in UCD, and I really love the course. We have literally 12 hours of lectures a week, and 1-2 hours of tutorials every second week. In terms of lecturers, we've got some of the best, apparently (I can't really compare them to anything else because I've never had lectures with lecturers from other Universities, obviously...). In fact, my main complaint about the course is that I have to walk all the way down to Roebuck Castle which is like, a 10 minute walk from the main campus, which can be a pain if you're late/it's raining/you're just being lazy :pac: (Okay, so I only have to do it three times a week, as most of my lectures are in Arts/Science, but still!)

As for a Trinity degree being "more significant", I'm not so sure. I had Trinity as my first choice, but didn't get the points, but had always thought it would be slightly more recognised, if only marginally, than UCD's (I was never applying outside of Dublin so I didn't even know UL had a law degree...). Apparently UCD graduates are doing better, status-wise, than TCD grads. Something like 8 of the 9 Supreme Court judges are UCD graduates, along with the Attorney General, er, the Taoiseach, and some other people I can't for the life of me think of.

Basically, I don't think it really matters where you do it. If you want to do Law Plus in UL, it's not going to make you unemployable or anything in comparison to if you had done it in TCD. As eVeNtInE said, go with the course you think will suit you best.

If you've any questions about UCD Law, I can try to answer them (based on my er, 12 weeks here! :P).

• Registered Users Posts: 20 MarkDurc

ya it's just more recognised and prestigous isn't it? although more than likely il hope to move abroad after college so whether that makes much more of a difference or not i don't know? the only thing that concerned me about ul is the fact that the law course is only 445 points now? does that make a difference?

anyone have any recommendation where is the best place and course to get a law degree in the country, taking everything in to account?

in reply to SarcasticFairy, UCD is startin to become more popular. i am going to the open day this week to check the place out. is the law degree a bcl in ucd? compared to a ll.b in ul and tcd? is there a difference?

basically i'm a leavin cert student aiming for 500-550 points choosing between law and psychology(more fixed on law now obviously; unless anyone has any suggestions why psychology may be better?). this is the reason im considering law plus(with psychology). and just trying to find the best college to study it, looking towards the future.

If anyone can help me in any way id appreciate it. thanks

AFAIK BCL & LLB are pretty much the exact same thing. I thiiiiink BCL stand for Bachelor of Civil Law, and then LLB is just the Latin for that. (Very much open to correction though!)

No one is going to be able to tell you psychology is better than Law. You really have to decide that for yourself. It's not about which course is better, as such, it more about where your interests lie, and ultimately, what you want to do after college.

As I said before, there isn't really all that much difference between UCD and TCD anyway. UCD allows you have a Horizon module which is just a random module you pick from anywhere across all the courses in UCD, so you could have one psychology module that way, if you wanted. I don't know anything about LAw Plus, or what sort of opportunity that would afford you to study psychology, but really there's much of a muchness between all the law degrees from what I can tell, so if you think you would prefer the UL course, go for it! :)

EDIT: By the by, the fact the points were 425; 1) means nothing with regards to next year and 2) is solely dependent on demand. It doesn't mean the course is any worse than any other course at all. The way points are calculated is that the person with the most points gets in, and they work down the list of people with the highest points, and so the person who got the last place in UL last year got 425. (Sorry, that's phrased woefully. My head hurts. Do you sort of understand what I mean?)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

Anyone doing the new law course in DCU? Any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Anyone doing the new law course in DCU? Any good?

Talking to one of lecturers at higher options it seems to be ok but I think they are cramming the course into three years when BCL in UCD and TCD are four years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

unknown13 wrote: »
    Talking to one of lecturers at higher options it seems to be ok but I think they are cramming the course into three years when BCL in UCD and TCD are four years
    Then again I hear that in TCD there is only 8 hours of lectures a week.....

Then again I hear that in TCD there is only 8 hours of lectures a week.....

Thats ok but TCD have a few law courses with something else aswell as UCD

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

The letters you get for a degree mean close to nothing.....

You get a BA(mod) in TCD for doing Science while you get a BSc in UCD, both are degree, there's no difference!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Just to point out,you dont need a law degree to become a lawyer ;)

Some of the mostr succesful law firms in the country have none.

Thanks SarcasticFairy, helped alot. i'm going up to ucd and trinity open days in the next week, and iv already been to ul. so hopefully il get an answer by then. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

Seloth wrote: »
    Just to point out,you dont need a law degree to become a lawyer ;)

Some of the mostr succesful law firms in the country have none.

It would definitely help, though

Not to mention, you have three years to kill before you can get into this place

http://www.lawsociety.ie/Documents/education/Solicitor09.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 House9

Hey I'm in first year in TCD Law and loving it so far. We have 9 hours of lectures a week and 3 hours of seminars every two weeks.

As for workload it totally depends on how much you're willing to put in. So far I've done nothing (:() but we dont have exams at christmas like UCD so we have a little bit more time to get our heads round the subjects on the flip side the subjects you do from Sept- Dec arent tested until the summer so that leaves plently of time for you to become a bit rusty on the info.

As for UCD graduates holding more postions as judges that really has little relevance to the course as these positions are appointed by the government and is really more of a political matter and does little to reflect the teaching standard of either Law school.

When you're deciding what college to go to consider all the factors. For me the bus line into tcd was directly outside my house and takes 15 mins to get into coll (handy when your running late). But if i were to go to UCD id have a 20min walk to the bus which rarely ever comes anyway! If you're not from the city TCD is really handy for gettin buses/ trains home on fridays with Huston and bus depot lit on the door step of the coll.

Before I started the course I was quite intimidated by TCD. I kinda thought that everyone would be pretentious and arrogant ...I COULD NOT HAVE BEEN MORE WRONG, everyone is so so friendly and eager to make new friends.

It was mentioned above about UCD horizon from what ive gathered from UCD friends its not really all its pumped up to be. Yes you get to try out different subjects but I have a friend doing commerce and forestry which im fairly sure she'll never use. Trinity does offer extra language courses if you really want to 'mix up ' ur course a bit.

Hope that helps a bit. Defintly go to the open days but make sure u turn up ealry for the law talks last year there was a stampeed to get into the tcd one and UCD one was totally full.

ya it does thanks. il know more after the open days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bocadillojamon

thanks sarcasticfairy

House9 wrote: »
    Hey I'm in first year in TCD Law and loving it so far. We have 9 hours of lectures a week and 3 hours of seminars every two weeks.

As for workload it totally depends on how much you're willing to put in. So far I've done nothing (:() but we dont have exams at christmas like UCD so we have a little bit more time to get our heads round the subjects on the flip side the subjects you do from Sept- Dec arent tested until the summer so that leaves plently of time for you to become a bit rusty on the info.

As for UCD graduates holding more postions as judges that really has little relevance to the course as these positions are appointed by the government and is really more of a political matter and does little to reflect the teaching standard of either Law school.

When you're deciding what college to go to consider all the factors. For me the bus line into tcd was directly outside my house and takes 15 mins to get into coll (handy when your running late). But if i were to go to UCD id have a 20min walk to the bus which rarely ever comes anyway! If you're not from the city TCD is really handy for gettin buses/ trains home on fridays with Huston and bus depot lit on the door step of the coll.

Before I started the course I was quite intimidated by TCD. I kinda thought that everyone would be pretentious and arrogant ...I COULD NOT HAVE BEEN MORE WRONG, everyone is so so friendly and eager to make new friends.

It was mentioned above about UCD horizon from what ive gathered from UCD friends its not really all its pumped up to be. Yes you get to try out different subjects but I have a friend doing commerce and forestry which im fairly sure she'll never use. Trinity does offer extra language courses if you really want to 'mix up ' ur course a bit.

Hope that helps a bit. Defintly go to the open days but make sure u turn up ealry for the law talks last year there was a stampeed to get into the tcd one and UCD one was totally full.

I know there's a rivalry between UCD and TCD but I honestly wasn't trying to attack Trinity, but I can only speak for UCD, seeing as I have no experience of TCD Law :)

My point about the Supreme Court judges was more to dispel notions that Trinity's degree was 'more significant' as was originally stated. To be honest I'd put both Law Schools on an almost equal level (each has their strong points :)) - my main reason for having Trinity first was the fact it was about 30-40 minutes closer to my house than UCD. (Seriously, commuting makes me die a little inside each day. Please consider which college would be easiest to get to while you're considering things :P)

As for the UCD horizon thing, I'm not the best person to ask! I just chose another law elective. I only brought that up because the OP likes/wants to also study psychology, and that could be another option if they didn't want to go with Law Plus.

But House9 is right - the Law talks fill up fast, so do turn up somewhat early if you actually want to get in! :)

filled out cao, business and law in ucd no.1. picked it because i wasnt 100% sure if i was going down the barrister or solicitor track and thought it would keep my options open, and that i would be able to decide in a year or two maybe. but emailed ucd and found out that you get a blb, which if you decided to become a barrister or lawyer would not be sufficient or very difficult to pass the blackhall or kings inn exams, and that it would take a further year or two to get an bcl.

if anyone knows whether this is the case or know, or have any other significant info. about the course, i would much appreciate it, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Take a look at Corporate Law in NUIG? I've got that down as my number 2 I think, with Law in UCC and Law Plus in UL

I believe for Business and Law you do both for two years and then pick one of them which you do your degree in for the final two years.

I have pure Law in TCD down first because I prefer the final two year options because there is far more than UCD.

• Advertisement

yeah thats the way i thought it worked but i dont think it does like that. are you 100% sure? and if u do choose the law path do u come out with a bcl? and what do you come out with if u choose business?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 gingerbread

i have down civil law, corp. law, legal science through the arts, and law on political and social policy...all in NUIG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

For anyone interested in Law, I would look at the courses that do a joint program with a given language. That gives you a huge advantage when you finish to head off abroad somewhere, which in this current situation, is almost a given that emigration will play a factor!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭The___________

i have down civil law, corp. law, legal science through the arts, and law on political and social policy...all in NUIG.

You sound like one of my mates he has almost the exact same choices as you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Anyone else going for the BCL/Maîtrise in UCD? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 gingerbread

You sound like one of my mates he has almost the exact same choices as you.

maybe i am? ;)

felic wrote: »
    For anyone interested in Law, I would look at the courses that do a joint program with a given language. That gives you a huge advantage when you finish to head off abroad somewhere, which in this current situation, is almost a given that emigration will play a factor!

Law and German is #3 but in TCD you can do a language on the side with your course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 notsosure!

i have the same down 2,except i have corp law first! the more i read about law courses the more confussed i get!
    i thought law plus in UL wasnt a full law degree as such in that you have to do more exams once you finish in order to go blackhall or kings inn???anybody able to enlighten me on that???
    and comparing civil with corp law....is there an extra yr after you finish corp to get the llb which you get with civil or can you just go straight into blackhall or kings inn straight after finishing corp??im very confussed:S:S:S

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Flecktarn

Anyone else going for the BCL/Maîtrise in UCD? :)

Law with French Law in UCD :) The Maitrise is supposed to be a bitch work wise!! But go for it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement