Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can women play Premier League Football?

• 30-11-2009 12:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭

Hypothecially, of course :D

But say if a day comes when some chick is actually good enough to compete alongside the best of Premier League footballers is there any rule that can prevent her from doing so?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,465 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

RATM wrote: »
    Hypothecially, of course :D

But say if a day comes when some chick is actually good enough to compete alongside the best of Premier League footballers is there any rule that can prevent her from doing so?

Yes, women are not allowed to play competitive football with men over a certain age group. (U12's or somethign like that)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Of course!

From what little I know the USA have a cracking football team
    A few women from that league would easily have better fitness, technical ability and all around performance then many bench warmers in the Premier League

But it won't ever happen. In fact it was a huge controversy a few years ago when they let a women play on the mens golf tour. And there isn't even any physical contact in that sport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

In that case Id say that if the first woman to ever play in the Premiership is also a stunner she would be like a marketeers wet dream :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

While I'm sure all the women's libber's would demand that if some chick was good enough, they should be allowed, i wonder how they'd react to some 3rd division man joining one of the women's league teams and dominating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

In that case Id say that if the first woman to ever play in the Premiership is also a stunner she would be like a marketeers wet dream :D

If a stunner played in the Premier League, Liverpool players would demand that zonal marking be dropped and back to man marking.

There'd be a lot of jostling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I suppose I'd have to come out of retirement if that happened :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Never gonna happen. How would you ever explain the offside rule to her?:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭asdfgh86

mikemac wrote: »
    Of course!

From what little I know the USA have a cracking football team
    A few women from that league would easily have better fitness, technical ability and all around performance then many bench warmers in the Premier League

Not sure about this at all. USA do indeed have a good women's team but the gap between Women's football and Men's football is still huge. Im not sexist by any means but even women playing at the high end of women's football would struggle to get into League 2 sides. That said it's certainly not impossible that there would be a woman good enough for the Prem. I mean if Salif diao plays. If anyone is good enough it's Marta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Perugia tried to sign a Swedish bird a few years back as a marketing thing but it never happened. If it does then communal showers ftw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

asdfgh86 wrote: »
    Not sure about this at all. USA do indeed have a good women's team but the gap between Women's football and Men's football is still huge. Im not sexist by any means but even women playing at the high end of women's football would struggle to get into League 2 sides. That said it's certainly not impossible that there would be a woman good enough for the Prem. I mean if Salif diao plays. If anyone is good enough it's Marta

Or this bird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Yes, women are not allowed to play competitive football with men over a certain age group. (U12's or somethign like that)

There was a girl on our u-16s team and she was allowed to play in that group until she was 17 so its definetely not 12s anyway, think they get an extra year in mens age groups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Perugia tried to sign a Swedish bird a few years back as a marketing thing but it never happened. If it does then communal showers ftw.

This, around the same time they signed Gaddaffi's son they signed Ronaldo's girlfriend but unlike young Gadaffi she didn't get a game because she wasn't allowed to play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

No will never happen, A woman wouldnt be able to live up with the physical nature of the priemer league. And for anyone to say otherwise is having a laugh. Injury would be the main factor. Imagine vidic or alike going in on a crunching tackle it hurts the hardiest of players so how would a woman fair out. Not a sexest comment just realistic....

Or this bird.

I've found my new future wife.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I spent my childhood dreaming about playing in the premier league and genuinely thought I could do it! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Not until genetic engineering becomes an accepted part of society.

The physical differences between the sexes is just too much.

Didn't something similar happen in tennis a few years back? Serena Williams said she could beat any man outside the top 100, so someone challenged her and whipped her in straight sets.

Edit: It was top 200 - http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/serena-seeks-place-on-mens-tour-741861.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

elius wrote: »
    No will never happen, A woman wouldnt be able to live up with the physical nature of the priemer league. And for anyone to say otherwise is having a laugh. Injury would be the main factor. Imagine vidic or alike going in on a crunching tackle it hurts the hardiest of players so how would a woman fair out. Not a sexest comment just realistic....

i think if either of the williams sisters decided to play football, they'd be able to live with the physical nature

christ, if someone like arshavin or walcott can live with it, its a bit much to say no woman could ever stand up to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

event wrote: »
    i think if either of the williams sisters decided to play football, they'd be able to live with the physical nature

christ, if someone like arshavin or walcott can live with it, its a bit much to say no woman could ever stand up to it

See my above post for how well the Williams sisters live with the physical nature of competing with men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

I'm by no means a sexist but when it comes to sport women have millions of years of evolution running against them. Maybe in the distant future, now that there is equality, it may become possible for women to equal or better men in sport, but it's a pipe dream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Enough tits at the top level as it is, tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

to op

LOL NO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

But they let Ronaldo play,and I always thought Drogba was one of the Williams sisters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Can women play in the premier league?

If Shevchenko couldn't i very much doubt theres a woman who could

But they let Ronaldo play,and I always thought Drogba was one of the Williams sisters?

I still do

Soooo tempted to move this to the Ladies Lounge :pac:

PM me so i can remove my post before you do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Wait till it's absolutely brimming with chauvinistic pig-ism, THEN move it to TLL :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Not sexist but at the moment the current top level of womens Premier League soccer is nowhere near the mens equivalent.

There just isnt as much interest from girls at younger ages for soccer then there is for boys, but thats natural, girls have taken a bigger and greater interest in soccer in the last 2 decades but I highly doubt we will ever see a women play in the EPL, sure it would be nice to see a women come along and play at the top level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I've found my new future wife.

ha. get in line! some finish all the same! and when a guy celebrates a goal by just jumping up and down its lame, when a naked chick does the same its awesome!!! :D is that sexist of me???

• Advertisement

Not until genetic engineering becomes an accepted part of society.

The physical differences between the sexes is just too much.

Didn't something similar happen in tennis a few years back? Serena Williams said she could beat any man outside the top 100, so someone challenged her and whipped her in straight sets.

Edit: It was top 200 - http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/serena-seeks-place-on-mens-tour-741861.html

didnt she beat andy roddick once tho?? not sure if it was andy roddick but i couldve sworn she said in a interview during the last ozzie open that she beat one of the fellas in a semi serious parctice match...(unlike others i merely write about what i know in my own head, anyone can google facts to seem smarter than they are, i frown on this personally)

Yeah it was A-Rod that she beat.

Mia Hamm is the best women's player ever imo but there's no way she would have survived in the men's game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Wayne Rooney seems to think so.

A girl won his Street Striker thing this year.... She's better than Lucas. :eek::eek::eek:

this guy is my new hero;
    During the 1998 Australian Open, Serena and her older sister, Venus, boasted that they could beat any man ranked outside the world's top 200. Karsten Braasch, a German ranked No 203 (his highest ranking was No 38), accepted the challenge. Braasch, who was already out of the tournament, played a round of golf in the morning, drank a couple of beers, smoked a few cigarettes, and then played the Williams sisters for a set each, one after the other. He defeated Serena, 6-1, and Venus, 6-2.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/serena-seeks-place-on-mens-tour-741861.html

Yeah it was A-Rod that she beat.

Aye, She was 12 and he was 11 though, so it doesn't really count...

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Aye, She was 12 and he was 11 though, so it doesn't really count...

that one year of developement can make all the difference at that age! plus serena has probably been that size since she was 11!! unatural!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

no!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

No. Not even in darts can a woman compete with men. A Russian womens darts player, one of the best in the world iirc was knocked out in the early rounds, if not first to not such a good player. She was fine though. Dobromyslova(sp?) I think her name was.

Advertisement