Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumbing Query

Options
  • 30-11-2009 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Im no plumber and havent the money to bring one in so im looking for a bit of advice. The water pressure in the cold taps upstairs in my house has died recently. There is literally just a dribble of water coming out any time i turn the tap on. Very annoying especially when trying to run a bath or wahs teeth etc. cold and hot Taps downstairs working perfect and hot taps upstairs perfect also.

What might be causing the pressure to die? Ive a suspicion the mother in law might have moved one of the handles in the hot press when she was 'sorting' it out for us the other week.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Bull76

Hi,

Sounds like you could have an air lock issue. Depends really. Have you or anyone done any work on the cold water tank in the attic? Firstly check the tank and the outlet for the cold water taps for your bathroom. Ensure it is not blocked in any way.
    Then if okay, connect a piece of hose between the cold water tap and the hot water tap. Open the cold water tap and then the hot water tap. Idea been the pressure from the hot water tap forces the air out of the cold water line. Shouldn't take to long for it to work either.
    Also, valves in the hotpress are usually for the hot water system. Make sure everything is as it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

Bull76 wrote: »
    Hi,

Sounds like you could have an air lock issue. Depends really. Have you or anyone done any work on the cold water tank in the attic? Firstly check the tank and the outlet for the cold water taps for your bathroom. Ensure it is not blocked in any way.
    Then if okay, connect a piece of hose between the cold water tap and the hot water tap. Open the cold water tap and then the hot water tap. Idea been the pressure from the hot water tap forces the air out of the cold water line. Shouldn't take to long for it to work either.
    Also, valves in the hotpress are usually for the hot water system. Make sure everything is as it should be.

Thanks Man. Ive to get up into the attic tomorrow for the xmas deco's so i'll have a look to see is there anything blocking the outlet pipe when im up there.

This is going to sound incredibly stupid but is there an easy way to connect a bit of hose to the two taps without having to go out and buy the correct hose fittings? Will i need to do this with all of the cold taps? The pressure seems to be gone with them all.

On a seperate note the shower seems to be on its last legs. Heat and pressure turned up full but water is trickling out with very little heat. Serious limescale issues down this way - could that be causing the problems?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Bull76

Rob113 wrote: »
    Thanks Man. Ive to get up into the attic tomorrow for the xmas deco's so i'll have a look to see is there anything blocking the outlet pipe when im up there.

This is going to sound incredibly stupid but is there an easy way to connect a bit of hose to the two taps without having to go out and buy the correct hose fittings? Will i need to do this with all of the cold taps? The pressure seems to be gone with them all.

On a seperate note the shower seems to be on its last legs. Heat and pressure turned up full but water is trickling out with very little heat. Serious limescale issues down this way - could that be causing the problems?

I'm afraid you'll have to get the hose on some way, easiest is to get some fittings. Should only have to do it on one set of taps. When you say all the taps, this is all the cold taps in the bathroom and ensuite?

The taps and the shower should be on there own feed. The shower should have a seperate feed from the water tank in the attic. Taps should be on another feed from the waater tank.
    With limescale you'll need to clean the showerhead and possibly the internals of the shower.
    Has the shower pressure dropped off at the same time the pressure in the taps has? If so then they are linked together and more investigation is required.
    Hope this helps you...

Advertisement