Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Common Sense makes sense

Options
  • 30-11-2009 1:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Seriously, I'm actually sick of left wing guilt ridden people. I used to consider myself a left winger (And still have an automatic liking for say Democrats in USA or Labour in UK) but after alot of thinking questioning and reading (Andrew Anthony's The Fallout etc) I can't escape the fact that I strongly disagree with many Left wing ideals.

A small example is in the thread about the Swiss banning minarets, somebody mentioned the fact that Saudi Arabia bans synangogues and someone else mentioned the disgusting Sharia laws yet as usual they are ignored by the pinko liberals.

And while we're on the subject of Islam which to clarify I have nothing against, I want to ask said lefties how would they feel honestly if Ireland we're to go the way of the UK, by which I mean a multicultururist overload.

It would be a sad day if we ended up like the UK, a divided, untrusting, suspicious mixture of communities. Lets discuss this question without labelling me as a Racist, Xenophobe etc because that would be the easy way out again!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

They say you get more rightwing the older you get.

However over the centuries.. we've all become much more lefty..

The hardcore religious right in the States are absolute utter pinkos compared to the rightwingers about 100 years ago.. and so on.

However, things are changing now, you have media pundits, watched by many, who basically just rile up the nation with their ****e, Pakistan TV is packed with them spewing rubbish, same with Egypt recently, and more so in the US. They are really polarising people. I'd like to think I am somewhere just left of middle, still with some of those right wing tendencies (always the easy answers)

Also left v right is the eternal battle between idealism and reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,452 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

And while we're on the subject of Islam which to clarify I have nothing against, I want to ask said lefties how would they feel honestly if Ireland we're to go the way of the UK, by which I mean a multicultururist overload.

I don't think your initial question is phrased in a way that encourages debate :)

Edit : Serious answer so as not to get banned.

Having lived in the UK a few times I've never seen this 'multiculturialist overlord' that you talk about in action. Its a free society, without doubt one of the very best countries in the world in which you could choose to live.

It's not perfect by any means, buts its a very good template for any budding new country.

I could eat and drink what I wanted when I wanted, wear what I wanted within the parameters of decency, travel freely and cheaply, worship whatever religion I chose, be comfortable in my sexuality, follows various sports, buy a newspaper which supported my ever changing political outlook, and not be discriminated against because of my colour.

Good country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭aftermn

Common sense is a strange term. It suggests a static reality, a basis on which other realities can be built.

It is no such thing, of course. What is common in one society might be totally uncommon in another.

The real discussion here is whether, and to what degree, we should accept multi-culturalism.

Logic would suggest that in a multicultural society, common sense does not exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

A small example is in the thread about the Swiss banning minarets, somebody mentioned the fact that Saudi Arabia bans synangogues and someone else mentioned the disgusting Sharia laws yet as usual they are ignored by the pinko liberals.

Yes, how dare people stick to the topic of a thread.

I would also like to point out that the Saudi Arabia you dislike are ultra right wing conservatives, so I don't see why you have issues with them, why can't they ban what they want and have any kind of laws they want like the Swiss? You seem to have a bit of a double standard here, where only some countries can do as they please, but others can't.

Also, Saudi Arabia is very much against multiculturalism, hence there ban on Churches and Synagogues. Why do you have a problem with that, as you seem to be against multiculturalism? Why can't the Saudi's be against multiculturalism?

Now me personally I think the Saudi governments are nuts, but they are against multiculturalism like so many here, but people seem to complain about them for having the same views on multiculturalism that they have, which is really odd to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭legal-eagle

I believe in Democracy and common sense!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I believe in Democracy and common sense!

Ok, so can you please explain to me how a decision to ban minarets, when they were already largely banned due to planning permission law qualifies as common sense?

Seems to me that the common sense position would be to not bother, as the whole minaret thing is largely a non issue due to planning permission laws, and a ban will risk 14.4 billion dollars of trade with Muslim majority states, for no other reason than to tell a minority to f*** off? Seems the opposite of common sense to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

@legal-eagle.
    How many more threads are you going to start on the subject of the Swiss minarets? Were the existing ones not enough without starting two new ones under different guises?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055755253

There's a hint of trolling about all this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

A small example is in the thread about the Swiss banning minarets, somebody mentioned the fact that Saudi Arabia bans synangogues and someone else mentioned the disgusting Sharia laws yet as usual they are ignored by the pinko liberals.!

I believe we were pointing out that banning various things is not the way to go....
    And while we're on the subject of Islam which to clarify I have nothing against, I want to ask said lefties how would they feel honestly if Ireland we're to go the way of the UK, by which I mean a multicultururist overload..!

...rather presumes that the UK is in "multiculturlist overload".....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭jackthekipper

wes wrote: »
    Yes, how dare people stick to the topic of a thread.

I would also like to point out that the Saudi Arabia you dislike are ultra right wing conservatives, so I don't see why you have issues with them, why can't they ban what they want and have any kind of laws they want like the Swiss? You seem to have a bit of a double standard here, where only some countries can do as they please, but others can't.

Also, Saudi Arabia is very much against multiculturalism, hence there ban on Churches and Synagogues. Why do you have a problem with that, as you seem to be against multiculturalism? Why can't the Saudi's be against multiculturalism?

Now me personally I think the Saudi governments are nuts, but they are against multiculturalism like so many here, but people seem to complain about them for having the same views on multiculturalism that they have, which is really odd to me.

Hilarious isn't it, bet he wouldn't mind them getting their liberal on?

Advertisement