Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When are you going home?

Options
  • 30-11-2009 1:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭

For me it's the 10th of January after looking for a job in Brisbane for ages. Tickets booked so am just going to enjoy Christmas here. By and large I like Australia, but the weather is just ridiculously hot for someone like me who prefers the cold. Ireland's climate is much more interesting and varied tbh. The girlfriend is staying until her WHV runs out in June, she has a steady job so I wasn't expecting her to come back with me.

Anyone else going home soonish? Any reason besides your visa running out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Confab wrote: »
    Ireland's climate is much more interesting and varied tbh.

Not more than Melbourne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I would agree it does get cold here in Melbourne in winter.

In answer to your first question , sometime after hell freezes over

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Surprised u havent found a job in Brisbane, theres loads goin! Just blitz Seek and the CBD

I got here [Oz] in Sept

Hated Sydney so stayed here in Bris

I agree about the heat, it's woeful! But at least Bris has a bit of a breeze durin the day

Im in a flat with no aircon, so Im a hillbilly in front of a fan when Im at home!

Im stayin here til Feb, then hittin up Melbourne, work March > May, do some tours then home Mid June

I've no desire to live in Australia

and I have college to start back in Dublin so I'm actually lookin forward to headin home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Mr Yellow

If i could swap, i would gladly swap the sheer misery of IRELAND for Oz anyday.
    Offers open, please apply within" {yes had 2 years in Oz, dont know how ****ed up i acsually was to leave there PERIOD....illegal or NOT}

Good night & please stop depressing the f**k out of me.....i miss it!

Mr Yellow wrote: »
    If i could swap, i would gladly swap the sheer misery of IRELAND for Oz anyday.
    Offers open, please apply within" {yes had 2 years in Oz, dont know how ****ed up i acsually was to leave there PERIOD....illegal or NOT}

Good night & please stop depressing the f**k out of me.....i miss it!

How long ago did you leave?

There is always New Zealand mate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Never with the hope of god. Was very suprised to read in the echo that there were only something like 5000 Irish on 2nd year visas. This surely cant be right. I can only think of two people Ive known who have went home in their first year, and they only left because they were found out for lying on the visa. In fact i cant think of one Irish person i know who has any intention of ever returning home, the amount of illegals i know grows by the week. Id love to dip home for a fortnight and do some of the few things we have better than Oz but as for living, not a chance. Cant hack the weather, the high cost of living and the crap nightlife in dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Mr Yellow

Thanks my friend, great to hear optimism when i need it most.
    Got a kiwi friend so looking at it currently, got a degree etc but a bit hindered at the minute..explain to you again!

Left in february thia year - stupidity is choice of the beholder

PERSONAL ADVICE TO ANYONE - return to Ireland at your own demise...seriously :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

NEVAAAAAAH

Seriously, why would anyone want to go back to Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

Never

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'm a citizen so I'll just come and go as I please.

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I'm a citizen so I'll just come and go as I please.

You are lucky. I hope to become a citizen too someday. When I do im getting a ute and putting this sticker on it:

http://sheikyermami.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/****-off-we-are-full.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Ha, I have a Ute

and mine says

Lo and the Angel of the Lord Said onto the Shepherd
    "**** off, this is Cattle County"

and the other ute has

"John Gill is a Bollox"

scrawled on the back

:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

Probably go back to Ireland in the next 2-3 years, for a spell of 1-2 years, then to Australia permanently.

The last few recent visits to Ireland make it look pretty hard hit by the economy. Ireland definitely needed the shake-up because prices were just getting ridiculous. Recently, I did a shop at Dunnes and was surprised how cheap it was. Rent prices are 20 odd percent lower.

So once things pick up there (in how long.. who knows) then I reckon it will be better than it was 2 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Australia is hard to live in on the WHV. I was on Seek and every website under the sun, got an interview, had a total of three interviews with the same company and they've haven't come back to me at all despite calls and emails. They're utterly incompetent. My girlfriend is being paid under minimum wage, this country is not worth the effort. Living without air conditioning is a pain and I'm looking forward to going home, at least I can go back and get a job and an education. I'd never live here long term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

I wouldn't agree with people saying "I'd never go back to Ireland. Why would you want to live there!". True to a certain extent, but all well and good on your WHV, getting drunk, travelling and so on.
    Once you hit 30, you get a bit more cynical (I do anyways...).
    I;ve met folk who constantly go on about how better Aus is than Ireland, as if to justify their being there. Horses for courses. Personally, I'd take continental Europe or the med over Aus a lot of the time. Same weather, same outdoors lifestyle if you wanted, proper seasons, snow in winter, good summer, home is a short flight away and doesn't take 2 days, soccer, rugby...but that's just me.
    I would find it hard to ever think about settling anywhere at the moment. I'm in Ireland but won't settle here I'd say...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

shane86 wrote: »
    Never with the hope of god. Was very suprised to read in the echo that there were only something like 5000 Irish on 2nd year visas. This surely cant be right. I can only think of two people Ive known who have went home in their first year, and they only left because they were found out for lying on the visa.

I would believe it, to get the 2nd WHV you have to obtain 3 months of rural work..... not so easy when stuck in the Bondi trap.

The other 10000 probably tried to bodgy the 2nd year all using the same ABN number and DIAC have now caught on...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055740901
    shane86 wrote: »
    In fact i cant think of one Irish person i know who has any intention of ever returning home, the amount of illegals i know grows by the week. Id love to dip home for a fortnight and do some of the few things we have better than Oz but as for living, not a chance. Cant hack the weather, the high cost of living and the crap nightlife in dublin.

My friend returned to Ireland a few months ago after living 'Undocumented' for 6 years in order to go straight and return on an ENS, in his words "Ireland is like a 3rd world country, get me out of here"

What frightens me is the that Irish have such a poor sense of perspective and are so naive. Countries I've visited like Bulgaria are much, much worse than Ireland. We denigrate our own country out of some odd self-hating anti-Irish thing we have. Australia is not the perfect country and never will be. Ireland has come on hugely and is an excellent country in general. The problem is that Irish people believe what they here in the news. Be realistic. Recession is happening everywhere and Ireland is not the worst hit. The one criticism I would have of Ireland is that the education system does not encourage enough people to think independently.

Funny enough, one of the really poor things about Australia, it's media and TV, are the same things that Irish people love it Ireland. TV here is scarily racist. In fact a lot of Australians are scarily racist. I'll be glad to be out of here and back to a properly civilised country.

BarryCreed wrote: »
    I wouldn't agree with people saying "I'd never go back to Ireland. Why would you want to live there!". True to a certain extent, but all well and good on your WHV, getting drunk, travelling and so on.
    Once you hit 30, you get a bit more cynical (I do anyways...).
    I;ve met folk who constantly go on about how better Aus is than Ireland, as if to justify their being there. Horses for courses. Personally, I'd take continental Europe or the med over Aus a lot of the time. Same weather, same outdoors lifestyle if you wanted, proper seasons, snow in winter, good summer, home is a short flight away and doesn't take 2 days, soccer, rugby...but that's just me.
    I would find it hard to ever think about settling anywhere at the moment. I'm in Ireland but won't settle here I'd say...

Yup I'm just gone 30 as well, the Irish'll believe anything. Australia has been hyped up beyond belief considering the WHV is a tourist scam designed to get money into the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Confab wrote: »
    What frightens me is the that Irish have such a poor sense of perspective and are so naive. Countries I've visited like Bulgaria are much, much worse than Ireland. We denigrate our own country out of some odd self-hating anti-Irish thing we have. Australia is not the perfect country and never will be. Ireland has come on hugely and is an excellent country in general. The problem is that Irish people believe what they here in the news. Be realistic. Recession is happening everywhere and Ireland is not the worst hit. The one criticism I would have of Ireland is that the education system does not encourage enough people to think independently.

Funny enough, one of the really poor things about Australia, it's media and TV, are the same things that Irish people love it Ireland. TV here is scarily racist. In fact a lot of Australians are scarily racist. I'll be glad to be out of here and back to a properly civilised country.

Nail on the head!

Ireland is a great country, its the people and their attitudes that make it crap sometimes

We need to be more positive, and proactive
    And be a bit rebellious, like in France
    The health and work system there is fantastic, cos if the government tries to implement any unfair crap, the people take to the streets
    The motto from V for vendetta is so through, about how the government should fear the people, and not vice versa

Beside, the goverment needs an overhaul. It's their job to run the country efficiently, they're not doin that
    What happens if ur not doin your job? You get sacked!

I think Ireland could come a long way if people simply think more positivly, as cheesy as that sounds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

not wanting to generalise, but most of the lads I know who love Aus are tradies, so they would be stuck in Ireland pulling and dragging in sh1te, but they're doing it in the sun. They have mainly just gone from Ireland to Aus, so are basing their experiences on that. They didn't like Europe, as they didn't have the lingos..

I'm not saying you only get a certain type who will love Australia, but that has been my experience...

I was close to going there for good myself up until recently. In hindsight, I'm glad I didn't but I still do wonder what things would be like if I did go....

Again, a lot of it is down to what you are doing as a job (in no way at all related to a WHV life of "whooring and touring"). I could be living by the sea in Aus, and if I was in a job I hated and with a woman I didn't get on with, then what's the point being there at all....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Ireland is a very good country to live in.

I just don't want to live there.

seachto7 wrote: »
    not wanting to generalise, but most of the lads I know who love Aus are tradies, so they would be stuck in Ireland pulling and dragging in sh1te, but they're doing it in the sun. They have mainly just gone from Ireland to Aus, so are basing their experiences on that. They didn't like Europe, as they didn't have the lingos..

I'm not saying you only get a certain type who will love Australia, but that has been my experience...

Got it in one. They're grand lads but with a very blinkered view of a very big world

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

You are lucky. I hope to become a citizen too someday. When I do im getting a ute and putting this sticker on it:

http://sheikyermami.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/****-off-we-are-full.jpg

Do you know how idiotic and ironic that sounds? Whatever floats you boat I guess.

To the OP, OZ is not the be all and end all. Every country is different. If you dont like the heat perhaps NZ would be a better option or Canada?

I think that "Australia is not a Panacea" Thread should be sticky'd on this forum. The Irish do love to talk themselves down and talk any other country up. Australia is almost a myth at this stage but at the end of the day you get up go to work, eat your dinner etc etc. Life cannot be a party every day but you have to make the most out of it, learn to surf, go on a mountain trek, rock climbing etc etc. Doing that and not pissing your wages down an alley 4 nights a week you will see if a country is for you or not. As my Kiwi house mate said to me the problem with OZ is that its full of Australians ;)

The irony of all this is that I'm transferring to OZ with work on a 4 year work visa in the next few months but would love to stay in NZ. Still ill give it a go and by then residency should have come through for NZ by then so Ill have the option of going back.

Always keep your options open and never look a gift horse in the mouth.

jank wrote: »
    Do you know how idiotic and ironic that sounds? Whatever floats you boat I guess.

It was a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

jank wrote: »
    *facepalm* :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

It was a joke.

My apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I'm never moving back to Ireland. I haven't lived there in what will be eight years, as of July 2010. I was back in August/September this year, and had a lovely time, but I wouldn't go back to live.

Then again I'm on a permanent visa down here, with a view to citizenship, so I don't have the difficulties of WHVers and temp visa people. I bought a house that's twice the size of the one I grew up in, for about 1/3 the money I'd spend in Ireland. Got in before the crest of the wave too, so already have equity in the house. I prefer the weather - solar powered split system air conditioner being installed in seven days will mean I prefer it even more because I have a comfortable home.

There are things that piss me off about Australia, but that's the same as anywhere. It's worth noting that my siblings don't live in Ireland either. I miss my aging parents, but they're wonderful people who travelled the globe themselves before settling in their thirties, so they've never begrudged or guilted me into feeling bad about choosing to settle on the other side of the planet from them. Skype is a marvellous invention - we probably talk more now than we did when I lived on the other side of Dublin. :D

So I'm not going back, and I'm not sad about it either. Australia is a good spot for my lifestyle. I don't want to have kids either (in my thirties, so that's a serious decision made) and that makes a difference in not tying me here - so I can move interstate, or head back up to mainland Europe - world's my oyster really.

Nice way to be. :)

I'm never moving back to Ireland. I haven't lived there in what will be eight years, as of July 2010. I was back in August/September this year, and had a lovely time, but I wouldn't go back to live.

Then again I'm on a permanent visa down here, with a view to citizenship, so I don't have the difficulties of WHVers and temp visa people. I bought a house that's twice the size of the one I grew up in, for about 1/3 the money I'd spend in Ireland. Got in before the crest of the wave too, so already have equity in the house. I prefer the weather - solar powered split system air conditioner being installed in seven days will mean I prefer it even more because I have a comfortable home.

There are things that piss me off about Australia, but that's the same as anywhere. It's worth noting that my siblings don't live in Ireland either. I miss my aging parents, but they're wonderful people who travelled the globe themselves before settling in their thirties, so they've never begrudged or guilted me into feeling bad about choosing to settle on the other side of the planet from them. Skype is a marvellous invention - we probably talk more now than we did when I lived on the other side of Dublin. :D

So I'm not going back, and I'm not sad about it either. Australia is a good spot for my lifestyle. I don't want to have kids either (in my thirties, so that's a serious decision made) and that makes a difference in not tying me here - so I can move interstate, or head back up to mainland Europe - world's my oyster really.

Nice way to be. :)

Lucky man.

Do you think in the 8 years you have been here that it have become over populated or how long before you reckon it will be?

Where do you think will be the next Australia?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Only been here nearly three years - the five before that I was in SE England. (And female, not a bloke. :D) I've settled rural in Victoria so I have a different perspective on the overpopulation I hear all about on the news.

Between the town I live and Melbourne, it's an hour's drive - and I see plenty of featureless flatlands as I make that drive. Those flatlands are being sold off to developers hand over fist at the moment, with a view to new housing. There's certainly plenty of space. The infrastructure problems will be in terms of transport - but there's already a highly expandable road and rail network out this way, and some of the expansion is even happening BEFORE the houses are built.

Look, infrastructure pressure happens everywhere there is expansion - you can't expect someone to build a school in the arsehole of nowhere BEFORE a bunch of young families move in. One thing I'll say about Australia is that the infrastructure improvements happen more quickly than in my experience of Ireland and the UK - much of which may be because this place was founded, tabula rasa, a couple of hundred years ago, so the roads and rail networks aren't the descendents of 2000 year old donkey tracks.

I live 60km from central Melbourne and can drive it in one hour. The equivalent drive from a distance outside Dublin to its centre, or a distance outside London to its centre, would take far longer.

The Aussies need to calm down re overpopulation, but keep their strict migrancy laws. On one hand, they seem to stress about letting in too many people, but anybody I talk to has had to jump through flaming hoops for the visa they have, and I hope that continues. If you limit your migrants to educated, employable workforce, well then the migrants bring money, diverse skills, interesting food and broader traditions and they contribute to your taxation system.

For Kevin Rudd to be paying people to have babies on one hand, then saying the country will be overpopulated on the other - well that's really disguising the issue isn't it - Australia wants to make sure it's not overpopulated with non-whites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

much of which may be because this place was founded, tabula rasa, a couple of hundred years ago

Presume you mean terra nullius?? Not nitpicking, just confused! :confused:

Advertisement