Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When are you going home?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Nope, I mean it was a blank slate - so the roads, cities, and infrastructure were built as the settlers thought they should be designed, based on what they thought had worked best from their own countries. It wasn't just the case that an established thoroughfare, never intended for modern traffic, ended up being a access artery in a major metropolis, which is what happens often in European cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

No worries, understand what you mean! I've just always associated "tabula rasa" as being more of a personal or mental thing than a physical thing in this description.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Australia wants to make sure it's not overpopulated with non-whites.

And therein lies the problem with Australia. Very disturbing and right on the money. Might as well make a visa with only one entry requirement. Of course the hypocrisy of the concept is beyond a joke considering the entire population of Australia are descents of European and Asian countries. Most other countries, even America got over that at least a decade ago. Even Ireland is behind the times. Australia will probably end up with it's own private race war, white supremacists and terrorists *shudder*. Perhaps appropriate though considering its highly dubious beginnings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Where do you think will be the next Australia?

The moon?

Seriously though there is $hit loads of land in OZ just resources like water are getting scarcer which is something that is happening all over the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Belt#Projections

If anything OZ is under populated but there are concerns about water shortages getting worse. TBH using that as a pre text to limit migrants is questionable to say the least as we all know what the context is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Confab wrote: »
    the weather is just ridiculously hot for someone like me who prefers the cold

Why are you in Brisbane in the summer?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I would believe it, to get the 2nd WHV you have to obtain 3 months of rural work..... not so easy when stuck in the Bondi trap.

The other 10000 probably tried to bodgy the 2nd year all using the same ABN number and DIAC have now caught on...

[

What? How many Irish do you know? I only know of two who got found out, and that was because of the scam that caught loads of people. Nearly everyone I know paid theirs off. And rghtly so, some of the rural work should be illegal tbh.

If Ireland had reasonable booze/ clothing/ food costs, decent nightlife and a decent summer, Id be back in a second. Fact is we pay 30% more for a pint back home, our nightclubs dont venture beyond Lady fookin Gaga and the Black Eyed Peas on their playlists (seriously, bar the usual backpackery dives like the Gaff and Woolshed has anyone ever heard this garbage in an Aussie nightclub?) and we havent had a summer in 3 years. Not a chance I could go back.

shane86 wrote: »
    If Ireland had reasonable booze

Booze? Aussie beers for the most part are pishwater. You get what you pay for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Booze? Aussie beers for the most part are pishwater. You get what you pay for.

Yes it kills me when people say its cheap to drink out and that you can get Jugs for $8, yeah for $8 you get drink that tastes more like water, Aus is not cheap for drink if you only drink Guinness and a few of the nice strong Aus ales.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Yes it kills me when people say its cheap to drink out and that you can get Jugs for $8, yeah for $8 you get drink that tastes more like water, Aus is not cheap for drink if you only drink Guinness and a few of the nice strong Aus ales.

Why would you even do that any way? :confused:

Guinness shouldn't be consumed anywhere outside Ireland.

As for the slating Aussie beers are getting, what Irish equivalents are we drawing comparisons with? Feckin Harp? The beer over here is very good if you choose the right one.

The Irish have embraced Budweiser ffs, the most carbonated shite ever produced.

It seems that people are moaning just for the sake of it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Lads Im off to bed, long night shift.

It used to really annoy me when an Aussie mate of mine sat in the middle of belfast slagging of Ireland with almost identical whinges.

Don't let our racist , crappy expensive beer drinking door hit you on the way out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

I love the beer here. Just said id ad that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭jackthekipper

unreggd wrote: »
    Nail on the head!

Ireland is a great country, its the people and their attitudes that make it crap sometimes

We need to be more positive, and proactive
    And be a bit rebellious, like in France
    The health and work system there is fantastic, cos if the government tries to implement any unfair crap, the people take to the streets
    The motto from V for vendetta is so through, about how the government should fear the people, and not vice versa

Beside, the goverment needs an overhaul. It's their job to run the country efficiently, they're not doin that
    What happens if ur not doin your job? You get sacked!

I think Ireland could come a long way if people simply think more positivly, as cheesy as that sounds

Did you hear about the Murphy report?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Aus is not cheap for drink if you only drink Guinness and a few of the nice strong Aus ales.

I only drink Guinness back home, I've tried a Guinness over here and it's middling at best.

I tend to rate what I get on the tap here more over whats back home, Tooheys, Carlton I love them, I'm not mad about the beers on tap at home: Carlsberg, Heineken and Budweiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

I tried a bottle of Guiness in Vietnam when drunk. It tasted like it had a 9v battery at the bottom.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    As for the slating Aussie beers are getting, what Irish equivalents are we drawing comparisons with? Feckin Harp? The beer over here is very good if you choose the right one.

The Irish have embraced Budweiser ffs, the most carbonated ****e ever produced.

No, I wouldn't say Irish beer is any better but at least we have the availabilty of German, Czech and Polish beers in any supermarket. For me, Boag Draught and Boags Premium are the best Aussie beers by a long distance.

Thankfully my encounters with Budweiser and in fact most American beers have been few and far between.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Derek B

For me, Boag Draught and Boags Premium are the best Aussie beers by a long distance.

Thought they were Kiwi beers? For me, Coopers pale ale and Little Creatures are the best local beers

Derek B wrote: »
    Thought they were Kiwi beers?

Nope, Tasmania (yes, it is part of Australia!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭jackthekipper

No, I wouldn't say Irish beer is any better but at least we have the availabilty of German, Czech and Polish beers in any supermarket. For me, Boag Draught and Boags Premium are the best Aussie beers by a long distance.

Thankfully my encounters with Budweiser and in fact most American beers have been few and far between.

You're seriously missing out, some great US beers out there. Sam Adams, Blue Moon, harvest Moon, Honey Moon, Sierra Nevada, Land Shark etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TheCandystripes

unreggd wrote: »
    Nail on the head!

Ireland is a great country, its the people and their attitudes that make it crap sometimes

We need to be more positive, and proactive
    And be a bit rebellious, like in France
    The health and work system there is fantastic, cos if the government tries to implement any unfair crap, the people take to the streets
    The motto from V for vendetta is so through, about how the government should fear the people, and not vice versa

Beside, the goverment needs an overhaul. It's their job to run the country efficiently, they're not doin that
    What happens if ur not doin your job? You get sacked!

I think Ireland could come a long way if people simply think more positivly, as cheesy as that sounds

At last someone says it. The country is good but people in it make it bad.

Advertisement