Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Question

• 30-11-2009 2:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi folks.. Was just about to sign up for BB from UPC but noticed an "Important Notice" at the end of the page!
    Chorus ntl advises that this service is only supported when one PC operates with one modem

Have two PC's in the house,, is there a "Workaround" for this ??

Cheers..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Hmmmm... thats an odd one. I though it might be something to do with the speed of the service you had selected but having had a quick look they have that down on all their packages.

Was also thinking it might be an issue with the modem they were providing (some providers offer a USB modem that doesnt have additonal ether net ports for multiple machines). Im on UPC here though and the modem provded by them has four ethernet ports.

Quite baffled as to why thats there. I dont think you should have difficulty connecting more than one machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

It means you only get one modem you can add a wireless router either from UPC or buy one yourself.

What this means if you have more then one PC you will share the same IP number online no a major issue.

However if you get banned from a site its you connection banned not just one PC.

Also you share the bandwidth between your computers on a 20meg connection the two of them are pulling from the one connection so if the two are downloading at full speed they will only get 10meg each and so on.

The modem only has one connection and can only run one computer at a time unless you add a wireless router.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ItsJusMe

I want to be able to use the two PC's via there wireless, as i'm doing with eircom atm.

I've a spare netopia modem here,, so that would do the job for me??
    The IP is no biggy as the second machine is belong to herself and is just used for light browsing..
    So all in all i should be more or less in the same position as i am now running the two of them off the eircom modem via wireless??
    Just want to be clear on this before i change..

Cheers for the reply..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I have the 10meg UPC bb package with the Cisco wireless router that comes free with it. I have 2 laptops a PC, a 360 and PS3 using it all at the same time with no issues. I get around 9.8meg on the 10meg package.

They just say 1 per connection to cover their speed stats. You will get your rated speed or close to with one connection but not with 5 sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ItsJusMe

Great.. That's just what i needed to hear. :)

Thanks for your input, i can now proceed with my order..

Cheers..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

ItsJusMe wrote: »
    I want to be able to use the two PC's via there wireless, as i'm doing with eircom atm.

I've a spare netopia modem here,, so that would do the job for me??
    The IP is no biggy as the second machine is belong to herself and is just used for light browsing..
    So all in all i should be more or less in the same position as i am now running the two of them off the eircom modem via wireless??
    Just want to be clear on this before i change..

Cheers for the reply..

The Netopia will not work as a wireless router on UPC as it only shares the Dsl connection you will need a cable router 50 euro from UPC or free if you go for the 10 or 20meg packs.

Or you can buy one in any PC shop.

Edit the new UPC modems have built in wireless as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

It is more to do with the fact that the standard technical support only deals with configuration issues based on a single pc connected to the router via ethernet. If you need support for a home network of more than one pc, you have to call their premium support number which costs a fortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

It simply means that UPC will support your connection to one PC, through a direct cabled connection.

As in if you have one PC working, that's their job done.
    Any problems you have with a second PC, games console, mobile, etc... is just that.
    Your problem.

All ISP's have this, and for the most part it means nothing.

As was said earlier, you won't be able to use the Netopia router, without reprogramming it, which is a hell of a lot of work.
    You need a cable router as apposed to a DSL router.

Advertisement