Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standing up for Teachers.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Saw this quote on thepropertypin, not sure who it was by:

Public sector workers saying they shouldn't have pay cuts or tax increases because they 'didn't cause the recession' is like the first class passengers on the titanic saying they shouldn't have to man the lifeboats because they 'didn't hit the iceberg'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

foxymm wrote: »
    Thousands of people walk into their own cushy private sector jobs on a daily basis starring at computer screens (example) until their eyes get sore and then go home. . . .

Teaching is a vocation. Inevitably, when a teacher leaves school on a daily basis, inevitably an evening doesn't go by where they are sitting at home for perhaps hours on end, planning, preparation, and hard work being done for the next day's teaching.

If I stared at my computer screen all day doing nothing, it would show up on my monthly figures and I'd be fired a.s.a.p. No union, no second chance, no transfer to another Dept, no chance of re-employment and pension flucked.

Don't give me that bull about going home to prepare for class next day. In our business you often have to arrange appointments to meet clients 100 miles away at 9 am and a last appointment at 5pm. That time travelling is not paid for. If your figures are down, you stay back to rectify it.

If you divide your annual salary by the number of weeks worked, teachers come out very cushy indeed. As for the 'pressure' of working with 25 kids for hours, I dare you to look at the faces of my colleagues this Monday morning, wondering if we will all still be here in the new year, that's pressure.

I don't begrudge your choices and the position you have secured, but keep it to yourself please

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

frman wrote: »
    Because the Government don't have the money to pay you ?

It is quite simple really.

Surely as a teacher you have come up against difficult mathematical problems such as this.......

Little Johnny usually gets 3 apples for his lunch. Today, his mother only has 2 apples. How many apples do you think little Johnny is going to get today ?

Johnny will kick and scream. however, the simple fact remains that he will not be getting 3 apples.

Actually Johnny will request an apple tax on the fat cat shopkeepers down the road so that Johnny can still have his 3 apples. That is until the shopkeeper stops selling apples.

Slugs wrote: »
    The real thing though is, are the government making the right choices? no. Obviously not, and the sooner this government is taken out, the better us union members will be

FYP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

I am sick to death of hearing about poor teachers, they have the cushyiest well paid jobs in the country, and that is beyond dispute. I posted below in another thread but it certainly applies here

Here's the details for a secondary teacher

The minimum starting salary for a teacher is E37,468. The maximum starting salary for a teacher is E41,383. Now how many other graduates are starting on that kind of money, are there any??

A full teaching load of 22 hours per week, 33 weeks per year. They work less than half of what a normal 40 hour a week person is working, can you imagine all that time off

Teaching salaries rise by an average of E1.5K a year for the first ten years. That figure excludes inflation related pay rises. They rise by an average of E1K a year thereafter until the top point of the salary scale is reached at E63,361.

My brother, who is a fairly sharp guy, always says that if teachers worked as much as the rest of us they wouldn't need as much money as they wouldn't have the huge amount of time off in which to spend money. Think about how much more money you spend when you are not in work

Note: thanks to Bandroi in this thread for the figures which i have unashamedly robbed the numbers http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055750520

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

Personally,I think teachers should just not get paid for the summer months when they're not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

On last Tuesday evening's Six-One RTE News, they interviewed a Secondary school teacher on the picket and she was talking about her work and the extra hours of work the teachers and students were putting into the upcoming school musical. IThink it was Tallaght C.S. she was standing outside. But she said and rightly so "I am sick to death of taking the abuse for working in the public sector". Here, here I say.

And what "abuse" would this be? Debate in the media about where we can make cuts to the public sector wage bill? I hardly think that would be considered "abuse".
    Why should we concede as public servants to pay deductions? Why should we give into the govt. changing our contracts and conditions of work. For teachers, this is not only about pay but the govt. want to also force through unacceptable changes to our conditions.

Because the country can no longer afford it. Simple as.
    I, like thousands of other teachers studied for at least 4 years in college. I did my H.Dip in Education which cost me €4,000 to do back in 2004/2005. God knows what it costs now to do. I was inspected, examined, assessed before acheiving my First Class honours.

Your point being? How many graduates do Irish universities churn out each year? That statement smacks of a sense of entitlement, "I'm entitled to a well paying job because I spent 4 years at university". The real world doesn't work like that, love.
    I don't apologise for the pay I get nor moan about the difficulties, at times, of the teaching profession. Some schools are very difficult and tough to work in but most of us get on with it as we love teaching.
    Thousands of people walk into their own cushy private sector jobs on a daily basis starring at computer screens (example) until their eyes get sore and then go home. . . .

I'm not sure many people have a cushy private sector job. At the end of the day their wages are a cost, and if they are not providing a return to their employer they will be let go.
    Teaching is a vocation. Inevitably, when a teacher leaves school on a daily basis, inevitably an evening doesn't go by where they are sitting at home for perhaps hours on end, planning, preparation, and hard work being done for the next day's teaching.

That is admirable for those teachers that do. But keep in mind many people in the private sector are now working longer hours in an effort to be more productive and keep their businesses afloat or stay in a job.
    So to all you nay-sayers out there, don't lecture us teachers about our work, about our pay about our conditions, about our diligence and about our rights.

If you want to continue to moan on about our great holidays and our wonderful pay then send off you're completed H.Dip in Ed application form and enclose with it transcipts of your (preferably honours) degree parchment as well as other qualifications etc. yu may have and send it to the C.A.O. post-graduate applications centre in Galway by Dec 1st (i.e. tomorrow and wait to see if you get an offer next April. Simple as.;)

Nobody is lecturing you about anything, merely pointing out that the state can no longer afford the public sector wage bill, and as such all options should be debated. That's all. As there is no market mechanism in the public sector, we have to debate what is providing value, and see if there are any ways of getting this at a lower cost. You do realise that the state is currently borrowing 500 million euro each week, don't you?

And in reference to your point about becoming a teacher, I am quite happy with my career choice (despite the fact that I am currently unemployed). Most "public sector bashers" do not object to your wages out of jealousy, but out of a fear of what will happen if the state's finances are not put back in order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

The entire debate about public service pay should be based solely and only on comparison with pay in the private sector and pay for public service equivalents in similar sized countries in the EU.
    All the bleeding heart stuff about the commitment of our public servants to the greater good of the public blah, blah, blah needs to set aside.

Fact is our public service is over paid and over staffed and is largely inefficient compared to public services in similar EU countries. AND, of course our darling servants take an extraordinary level of sick days on top.

So, Mr Lenihan, should take out the carving knife and cut deep and hard in one fell swoop in this years budget. End of:P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I, like thousands of other teachers studied for at least 4 years in college. I did my H.Dip in Education which cost me €4,000 to do back in 2004/2005. God knows what it costs now to do. I was inspected, examined, assessed before acheiving my First Class honours.

If you want to continue to moan on about our great holidays and our wonderful pay then send off you're completed H.Dip in Ed application form and enclose with it transcipts of your (preferably honours) degree parchment as well as other qualifications etc. yu may have and send it to the C.A.O. post-graduate applications centre in Galway by Dec 1st (i.e. tomorrow and wait to see if you get an offer next April. Simple as.;)

FFS does she think teachers are the only people with qualifications in the country? A B.A. and a H.Dip are very achieveable by most people and nothing to be overly proud of, in fact when I was in third level the Arts courses were often referred to as McDonalds Degrees (I didn't make it up but it's a reference to them being handy to achieve and no good for anything unless you want to teach). I know a few teachers who are ashamed of their unions at the moment and are against the strikes but are being bullied int participating. They rightly feel very lucky to have jobs and I respect them for that but this ladys sense of entitlement is sickening. The average income in other sectors in falling all the time, without even mentioning the dole queues, did they really expect that they would be untouched? I have no desire to be a teacher but if i was one I'd be very grateful for my lot at the moment and keep my head down. I know young secondary teachers are getting it in the neck with hours reduced etc, but anybody with a permanent position has no business protesting IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

The title of this thread should be "standing up TO teachers" cause thats what need to be done

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

On last Tuesday evening's Six-One RTE News, they interviewed a Secondary school teacher on the picket and she was talking about her work and the extra hours of work the teachers and students were putting into the upcoming school musical. IThink it was Tallaght C.S. she was standing outside. But she said and rightly so "I am sick to death of taking the abuse for working in the public sector". Here, here I say.

Why should we concede as public servants to pay deductions? Why should we give into the govt. changing our contracts and conditions of work. For teachers, this is not only about pay but the govt. want to also force through unacceptable changes to our conditions.

I don't apologise for the pay I get nor moan about the difficulties, at times, of the teaching profession. Some schools are very difficult and tough to work in but most of us get on with it as we love teaching.

So to all you nay-sayers out there, don't lecture us teachers about our work, about our pay about our conditions, about our diligence and about our rights.

cringe. You MUST be kidding me. I swear, posts like this are what p*ss people off and turn them against the whole public sector, I urge people not to assume all public sector workers think this way. Never have I heard such an extraordinary sense of entitlement.

Let me say first I do believe teachers wages are too high, but I accept if they were cut too drastically, people genuinely wouln't be able to survive. Some cuts should be introduced, and then levels retained with no further increases for quite a number of years.

To address some of your points,
    Why should cuts be introduced, because there is NO MONEY to sustain the wages!

Your time spent in university, fair paly to you, but it should not automaticlaly entitle you to ceratin levels of pay. I'm almost finished my masters level qualification and believe me I earn nothing close to a tecahers salary!

cushy private sector jobs, whaaaat?? There's so many different jobs in the private sector, to refer to all as 'cushy' is one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever heard. This sweeping statements nonsense does nothing for the debate.

Teaching is a vocation, if that were true, you'd probably be a lot less concerned about sustaining high pay levels.

Time spent outside of school, working say 9 to 4 assuming longer secondary school hours, with an hour for lunch is 6 hours per day, 30 hours per week, so there's still room for another 10 to bring you up to 40(what most people in their 'cushy' private sector jobs are contracted for)

Teaching is not soemthing I'd choose to do myself, and I don't doubt for a second that it's a difficult job, but so are many jobs. And as Tippman says, 37,468 is a fantastic starting salary, for any graduate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Why should we concede as public servants to pay deductions?

because yee are paid more than teachers just about everywhere else, while not being in the top for education

benchmarking....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Teaching in Ireland is not a vocation anymore.
    If it were, teachers would be very willing to sacrifice self gain in the furthering of their calling (teaching).

i said it before and i will say it again

if they think they have it so bad then why not emigrate to the UK or rest of EU
    yeah right i taught so

starting teacher salary in UK is 21K pounds thats 23K euro
    thats more than 15K less than teachers starting here (See below)
    Tipp Man wrote: »
    The minimum starting salary for a teacher is E37,468. The maximum starting salary for a teacher is E41,383.

if that doesnt put things into perspective then these people are more delusional than i taught

are the teachers here really almost twice better or more productive than their UK counterparts?

btw @OP ive more degrees and qualifications than yourself (and not in some artsy fartsy degrees, im talking science and eng), does that entitle me to a larger salary??

dearg lady wrote: »
    Time spent outside of school, working say 9 to 4 assuming longer secondary school hours, with an hour for lunch is 6 hours per day, 30 hours per week, so there's still room for another 10 to bring you up to 40(what most people in their 'cushy' private sector jobs are contracted for)

I have some sympathy for the teachers putting in the extra hard work. However, thanks to union politics, teachers aren't compensated based on performance. So the teacher who's doing the bare minimum still gets paid the high salary. You're paid for your 30 hours a week, everything else is voluntary work. Welcome to the soul crushing world of unionised employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭MysticalRain

If you want to continue to moan on about our great holidays and our wonderful pay then send off you're completed H.Dip in Ed application form and enclose with it transcipts of your (preferably honours) degree parchment as well as other qualifications etc. yu may have and send it to the C.A.O. post-graduate applications centre in Galway by Dec 1st (i.e. tomorrow and wait to see if you get an offer next April. Simple as.

Sure why not? Getting into teaching can't be that hard if any idiot with an arts degree and a H Dip can get in. Now why don't you swap places with somebody in the private sector. Let's see if you can design a 100 million euro bridge across the Shannon or how you cope staring at C++ code all day working on the next version of Microsoft Windows.
    Here's a newsflash for you: having a degree or postgraduate qualification doesn't give you a God-given right to a well-paid job. The queue at your local welfare office is full of people with more qualifications than you have. And just because somebody has a H Dip, it doesn't automatically mean they are a good teacher deserving of high-paying. Teaching is a vocation where there is a lot more to it than just merely having a bunch of letters after your name.
    Maybe that's the case for the younger idealistic teachers fresh out of college eager to make a good impression. But that's not really commonplace. If it was, then we wouldn't have a situation where 25% of the Irish population are functionally illiterate and there are now only 85,000 fluent Irish speakers left in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Stark wrote: »
    I have some sympathy for the teachers putting in the extra hard work. However, thanks to union politics, teachers aren't compensated based on performance. So the teacher who's doing the bare minimum still gets paid the high salary. You're paid for your 30 hours a week, everything else is voluntary work. Welcome to the soul crushing world of unionised employment.

that's a good point, and it doesn't just apply to teachers, same everywhere in public sector, automatic increments aren't a great idea, peopel shoudl be rewarded on an individual basis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Why should we concede as public servants to pay deductions?

There's no money for current levels of pay/employment. Pretty simple really.

Great understanding of the private sector right there. Even if someone actually did this, what business would it be of yours? Unlike taxpayers with the teachers/PS, you're not a 'shareholder'.

Spouting the same old stuff year in, year out for the next 40 years? No thanks.

Tbh your whole post reeks of entitlement. Fair play for getting a good degree and a H. Dip, but that doesn't mean you should automatically get x,y & z. If that were the case I'd be laughing all the way to the bank :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Sure why not? Getting into teaching can't be that hard if any idiot with an arts degree and a H Dip can get in. Now why don't you swap places with somebody in the private sector. Let's see if you can design a 100 million euro bridge across the Shannon or how you cope staring at C++ code all day working on the next version of Microsoft Windows.

Here's a newsflash for you: having a degree or postgraduate qualification doesn't give you a God-given right to a well-paid job. The queue at your local welfare office is full of people with more qualifications than you have. And just because somebody has a H Dip, it doesn't automatically mean they are a good teacher deserving of high-paying. Teaching is a vocation where there is a lot more to it than just merely having a bunch of letters after your name.

Maybe that's the case for the younger idealistic teachers fresh out of college eager to make a good impression. But that's not really commonplace. If it was, then we wouldn't have a situation where 25% of the Irish population are functionally illiterate and there are now only 85,000 fluent Irish speakers left in the country.
    Harsh but true, that lady will take some beating I dont think most teachers think like her to be fair. Interesting point about the standard of English and Irish, I was raised in the Gaeltacht and happen to have good Irish. My fiancee's nephew is now in his fifth year in a Gaelscoil and at a recent family get together we spoke a few words in Irish. This is a smart and normally well spoken kid but he was unable to put a proper sentence together in the language he is supposed to be studying every day and his grammar was very poor. I was very surprised at this as I thought someone with five years exposure to the language would be fully fluent. I think the gaelscoil concept is a good one overall and I'm glad someone is trying to keep the language alive as many would happily let it die off, but surely someone after five years there should be able to engage in basic conversation with a native speaker. The English literacy problem is a very real one too and it should be an absolute priority for the Dept of Education to sort it out asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

its not a question of the quality of work its a question of being able to afford to pay the wages. The country is borrowing 400 million a week, its nothing personal.

ps- i'm sure there are lots of unemployed solicitors, accountants, architects, barristers out there who would consider the qualifications they earned to be far far harder to obtain than a hdip that would gladly settle for a teachers salary now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Ste.phen wrote: »
    Saw this quote on thepropertypin, not sure who it was by:

Public sector workers saying they shouldn't have pay cuts or tax increases because they 'didn't cause the recession' is like the first class passengers on the titanic saying they shouldn't have to man the lifeboats because they 'didn't hit the iceberg'

we are all in the same boat and shes going down fast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

creeper1 wrote: »

I see existing teachers keeping their salaries maybe with a compromise of an increase in class sizes.

Woah - is this on the table as a possible solution? A 'trade off' where teachers get to keep their salaries in exchange for bigger class sizes?

If this is for real, then I would actually jump on the anti-teacher bandwagon, something I have never been a part of before, because it would show up as lies all their insistence that their previous strikes and complaints were about conditions for the students as much as about their own pay.

Is there any truth that this is something the unions are considering? Oooh my blood boils if there is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    i said it before and i will say it again

if they think they have it so bad then why not emigrate to the UK or rest of EU
    yeah right i taught so

starting teacher salary in UK is 21K pounds thats 23K euro
    thats more than 15K less than teachers starting here (See below)

if that doesnt put things into perspective then these people are more delusional than i taught

are the teachers here really almost twice better or more productive than their UK counterparts?

btw @OP ive more degrees and qualifications than yourself (and not in some artsy fartsy degrees, im talking science and eng), does that entitle me to a larger salary??

and the uk is a richer country than ireland , ireland was richer for a brief period in this decade but that was a bubble , ireland 2009 is a whole other country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

frman wrote: »
    Because the Government don't have the money to pay you ?

It is quite simple really.

Surely as a teacher you have come up against difficult mathematical problems such as this.......

Little Johnny usually gets 3 apples for his lunch. Today, his mother only has 2 apples. How many apples do you think little Johnny is going to get today ?

Johnny will kick and scream. however, the simple fact remains that he will not be getting 3 apples.

what if johnny's mother was to borrow an apple a dsay till 2017 would that not work

Kooli wrote: »
    Woah - is this on the table as a possible solution? A 'trade off' where teachers get to keep their salaries in exchange for bigger class sizes?

If this is for real, then I would actually jump on the anti-teacher bandwagon, something I have never been a part of before, because it would show up as lies all their insistence that their previous strikes and complaints were about conditions for the students as much as about their own pay.

Is there any truth that this is something the unions are considering? Oooh my blood boils if there is...

This has been the truth for a long time. Unions have been given the choice of increased wages vs smaller class sizes many times in the past and have always opted for increased wages.

A lot of teachers on temporary contracts (who don't get paid a whole lot at the moment) will lose their jobs if the permanent staff get their way as well.

Tigger wrote: »
    what if johnny's mother was to borrow an apple a dsay till 2017 would that not work

your forgetting that

* for every apple Johnny's mother borrows she needs to return 2 apples from her "rotting" orchard some time later

and (any of these in combination either/or)

* the Shopkeeper might have no apples left
    * the Shopkeeper needs to feed his own son
    * the Shopkeeper might realize that Johny's mother might never give his apples+interest back

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

This has been the truth for a long time. Unions have been given the choice of increased wages vs smaller class sizes many times in the past and have always opted for increased wages.

A lot of teachers on temporary contracts (who don't get paid a whole lot at the moment) will lose their jobs if the permanent staff get their way as well.

That is absolutely shocking. I'm disgusted. 'Vocation' my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

... Unions have been given the choice of increased wages vs smaller class sizes many times in the past and have always opted for increased wages...

Really? When did that happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Really? When did that happen?

I'm pretty sure it happened in 2001.
    I recall some of our non-striking teachers, our Business teacher in particular complaining saying the LRC (Labour Relations Commission??) offered some sort of compromise, but all of the worst teachers rejected it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

I`m not too sure what your point is, your not going to enamour anybody with your attitude, nor are you going to intimidate anybody into supporting you. Your stand is a bit of a joke, as I`m sure many teachers would shuffle away uneasily if you said this in public.

Her points fair enough, people dont deserve to be abused for taking a job that offered to them and working at it hard (like most teachers im sure). You then go off to demonstrate why public sectors do get abuse however.

Because the government and the country in general is up to its eyes in debt ? Your personal performance maybe outstanding, but you can`t fight the tide, especially one thats already washed away so many private sector workers.

Almost everyone has a degree these days. I have seen so many people cheat there way through college too. Face facts, having a 4 year degree WITH a H1 is almost a requirement to be considered for any job these days. Out of my class of 20 I think only three or four of us got full time work. Compare that to almost 100% during the boom. That was a practical course, I can imagine it dropping to zero for arts or civil engineering.

Future students probably wont get 4 years of free education like you did, never mind the hdip, In most other countries you have to pay for it all, and spend your first few working years paying it all back

I also know a great deal of private sector workers who pay full whack for night courses to do degrees in order to keep up with the status quo. It takes 6-7 years to do it, coming in 3 nights a week (9 hours) and some Saturdays PLUS study time. There is no summer break either. Try that on top of a 45 hour week. And no, they cant study at work like some clueless people who commented when I was doing my full degree.

And then they get fired because they did nothing.

It probably helps that school hours are much shorter than the 40 hour week then.

A. That might be difficult in the current recruitment ban
    B. I dont want to be a teacher, any chance I could get my current career in this time format ?

Advertisement