Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standing up for Teachers.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I must say I'm baffled at the starting salary and pay increments teachers enjoy, where else would you start on 38k after 3 years at third level (primary), but I think we would all be annoyed at a pay cut of any kind, and the main reason they are so vocal is that they are constantly being attacked. I am friendly with alot of young teachers, and I must say I don't find them to be whingers and moaners as such, but there is definately a minority with a really obnoxious sense of entitlement that tar the whole profession with the same brush. I do agree that they are overpaid, but what are they supposed to do, return some of their wages? Were they supposed to show up at school on the days that they were closed? Most teachers are good people who show up and do a good job and care about the kids they teach, but there are others who quite frankly couldn't give a s**t, fell into teaching because the jobs were readily available when they graduated and quickly realised they wouldn't get the same salary in the private sector with their B.A. I had a few teachers at second level who really should have picked a different career (couldn't control a classroom, no interest etc), but most of them were very good, gave extra help outside of class without expecting anything for it, and helped with sports, music etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

amen wrote: »
    why ? after all your take home pay has been reduced but not your gross salaray. Taking the example from earlier your gross salary last year would be 49,000 and your gross salary this year would also be 49,000.(as this is point 10 you would then be getting your annual increment as these have not been stopped so you gross salary next year would be more). Anyone going on pension would then bet getting a pension of 1/2 of final GROSS salary not net.

Gross salary has most definitely been reduced as and from the 1st of January, following on from the previous net reduction as a result of the pension levy. The prospect of more retirements is very real due to the widespread belief that the lump sum payment will be taxed in the next budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Japer wrote: »
    Because they are so overpaid, with days off due to a half inch of snow, on holidays half the year, full job security and with a golden pension the stuff lottery winners dream of. Whinging about "losing" hundreds of euro due to a few per cent cut just shows how high their pay is to begin with, in this era of 5% deflation.

You should inform yourself of all the facts before you go on a rant like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Japer

woodseb wrote: »
    might be a bit off-topic but did anyone see that school documentary on RTE last night when the teachers were getting their pay check after the pension levy and one teacher was complaining that there are some people down EUR500-600 and 'this can't go on'

am i wrong in thinking that either

a) he had a massive salary to have that large a cut
    b) he's was economical with the true wrt to the figures

+1. He gets no sympathy from me if he cannot afford to visit his holiday home in Croatia as often as he gets holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

+1. He gets no sympathy from me if he cannot afford to visit his holiday home in Croatia as often as he gets holidays.

Ha, reminds me of a teacher I heard on the radio weeks ago (before the paycut) complaining that he wouldnt accept any paycuts because it would make it too difficult for him to afford the mortgage on his second home :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭OMD

#15 wrote: »
    You should inform yourself of all the facts before you go on a rant like that.

Perhaps you should educate him. Teachers in Ireland are one of the highest paid in the world so it is easy to make the argument they are overpaid. They did get days off due to the snow. They do only work about half the year (365 divided by 2 = 183 days), peramnent teachers have full job security and to fund their pension payments in private sector you would need a huge sum of money (way more than would be earned if teachers put their contributions into any private pension scheme). Where does he need to be informed?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭kangaroo

OMD wrote: »
    Perhaps you should educate him. Teachers in Ireland are one of the highest paid in the world so it is easy to make the argument they are overpaid. They did get days off due to the snow. They do only work about half the year (365 divided by 2 = 183 days), peramnent teachers have full job security and to fund their pension payments in private sector you would need a huge sum of money (way more than would be earned if teachers put their contributions into any private pension scheme). Where does he need to be informed?
    Secondary teachers in Ireland work 167 days a year.

Perhaps I should. He needs to learn more about primary teaching, as do you.

He made no reference to permanent teachers, he just said 'they' have
    full job security

This is clearly not the case for many teachers in Ireland. So he is wrong on that score. He needs to be informed that not all teachers are permanent, and not all teachers even have work.

On the pay issue, teachers in Ireland are paid more than teachers in many countries because

1) They have larger classes - Only Chile, Korea, Japan, Israel, Turkey and Brazil have larger class sizes.

The following is a list of countries where class sizes are smaller than in Ireland

Australia
    United States
    France
    Germany
    Spain
    Belgium (Fr.)
    Hungary
    Czech Republic
    Austria
    Mexico
    Finland
    Portugal
    Slovak Republic
    Poland
    Denmark
    Switzerland
    Estonia
    Italy
    Iceland
    Slovenia
    Greece
    Luxembourg
    Russian Federation

2) They spend more time teaching than teachers in other countries.

92683.gif

As you can see, New Zealand and Israel are the only countries where primary teachers teach longer.

So if Irish primary teachers teach more children for more time than teachers in other countries, how exactly are they overpaid?

They're actually pretty efficient.

Primary teachers in Ireland teach 37 weeks of the year. The EU and OECD average is 38. So Ireland is a week behind. But that is explained by looking at the hours that teachers teach. The EU and OECD average is 794 and 798 respectively. In Ireland it is 946.

His post was based on nothing. If you think he is informed, then you need to do some more research.

Have a look at the OECD report on education for 2009. You'll even learn that Irish teachers are not the highest paid in the world.

Perhaps I should. He needs to learn more about primary teaching, as do you.

He made no reference to permanent teachers, he just said 'they' have

This is clearly not the case for many teachers in Ireland. So he is wrong on that score. He needs to be informed that not all teachers are permanent, and not all teachers even have work.

So what % of teachers working in Ireland are permanent?

On the pay issue, teachers in Ireland are paid more than teachers in many countries because

1) They have larger classes - Only Chile, Korea, Japan, Israel, Turkey and Brazil have larger class sizes.

And seeing as they have larger class sizes and work longer hours are they paid more than Irish teachers?

2) They spend more time teaching than teachers in other countries.

92683.gif

As you can see, New Zealand and Israel are the only countries where primary teachers teach longer.

So if Irish primary teachers teach more children for more time than teachers in other countries, how exactly are they overpaid?

They're actually pretty efficient.

Primary teachers in Ireland teach 37 weeks of the year. The EU and OECD average is 38. So Ireland is a week behind. But that is explained by looking at the hours that teachers teach. The EU and OECD average is 794 and 798 respectively. In Ireland it is 946.

His post was based on nothing. If you think he is informed, then you need to do some more research.

Have a look at the OECD report on education for 2009. You'll even learn that Irish teachers are not the highest paid in the world.

Based on your figures (which I would seriously question) I think you will agree that secondary teachers then are overpaid as based on those graphs they work less than most other countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 clypso

I'm fed up listening to teachers yacking on, paycuts happen in private sector, they also happen in the public.

• Advertisement

clypso wrote: »
    I'm fed up listening to teachers yacking on, paycuts happen in private sector, they also happen in the public.

I'm a teacher, I supported PS pay cuts.

I'm fed up listening to some private sector people yacking on about the public sector when they don't bother to inform themselves first.

And seeing as they have larger class sizes and work longer hours are they paid more than Irish teachers?

They don't work longer hours. They have larger class sizes.

Some of them do get paid more. Some of them don't.

Some teachers, with less hours and lower class sizes, get paid more than teachers in Ireland.

Based on your figures (which I would seriously question)

They are not my figures. They are the OECD figures. Are you questioning the OECD?

Perhaps we should all consult the OMD report on education for 2009?
    Or would you like to recommend another study on education?

There really is no reason for you to question those figures, except that they don't fit into your worldview.

I think you will agree that secondary teachers then are overpaid as based on those graphs they work less than most other countries.

So, you agree that primary teachers are not overpaid?

I haven't gone through all of the figures for secondary teachers, I have little-to-no interest in the secondary sector.

And unlike some others, if I don't know enough about a subject, I don't weigh in with misinformed comments.

And based on your previous analysis in this thread, you'll forgive me if I don't take your latest analysis of secondary teachers as gospel.

Maybe they are overpaid, maybe they aren't.

They don't work longer hours. They have larger class sizes.

Some of them do get paid more. Some of them don't.

No. That is wrong. None of them get paid more than Irish primary school teachers. But nice try.
    Some teachers, with less hours and lower class sizes, get paid more than teachers in Ireland.

Sure. How many?

They are not my figures. They are the OECD figures. Are you questioning the OECD?

The OECD says Ireland's teachers are the fifth highest pay in the countries it studied. As I said previously Ireland's teachers are one of the highest paid in the world which the OECD backs up or are you questioning the OECD?

I haven't gone through all of the figures for secondary teachers, I have little-to-no interest in the secondary sector.

And unlike some others, if I don't know enough about a subject, I don't weigh in with misinformed comments.

And based on your previous analysis in this thread, you'll forgive me if I don't take your latest analysis of secondary teachers as gospel.

Maybe they are overpaid, maybe they aren't.

You use those graphs to show that primary teachers are not overpaid. Using the same criteria for secondary teachers then they are overpaid. Either these graphs are correct or they are not.

No. That is wrong. None of them get paid more than Irish primary school teachers. But nice try.

Just because you say something, it doesn't mean it is true.

Even if you were able to show evidence of that claim (which you probably aren't ;)) if Irish teachers teach more pupils than most other teachers, for more hours than most teachers, then it follows that their salary will be higher.

More hours=more money.

The OECD says Ireland's teachers are the fifth highest pay in the countries it studied. As I said previously Ireland's teachers are one of the highest paid in the world which the OECD backs up or are you questioning the OECD?

Not at all.

The OECD also says that Irish teachers spend more time teaching than most other teachers. You're not questioning that?

We're both saying the same thing really.

Irish teachers are amongst the top group when it comes to teaching time.
    They are efficient, teaching larger classes than most of the OECD group.
    It is logical that they are among the top earners.

More pupils, more hours, more pay.
    You use those graphs to show that primary teachers are not overpaid. Using the same criteria for secondary teachers then they are overpaid. Either these graphs are correct or they are not.

That graph refers to teaching time only. I haven't read up on class sizes in secondary education.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭doc_17

Lies, damn lies and statistics!! I'm not sure statistics offer any boardsie a way to back up their point!!!

Some people will not let a good statistic stand in the way of their own world view. If anyone I'm talking to uses a statistic like the "average" (would that be the mean, mode or median) to back up a point I always ask them, how did you work out that average? Most of them dont realise that there are different ways to work out the average and some of those people only use the stats that suit them based on the where they get their information.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭woodseb

I think we can all publish statistics till we are blue in the face but i have not seen any statistical proof that the government could continue to afford the public service wage bill at current levels....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Because they are so overpaid, with days off due to a half inch of snow, on holidays half the year, full job security and with a golden pension the stuff lottery winners dream of. Whinging about "losing" hundreds of euro due to a few per cent cut just shows how high their pay is to begin with, in this era of 5% deflation.
    If it is that good a job why they hell didnt you get into it?
    I am getting kinda sick myself abou people look down/up on other peoples jobs. If the job is that good, I dont understand why you aren't in it yourself...........if I thought the job was THAT good, I'd be there myself........

The days off they have due to snow/flooding were not by choice, most teachers wanted to
    work, Bat O Keefe screwed that one up and either way those days will be made up. Teachers themselves were put out by the turnaround by the minisiter this week over the three days off.

Teachers are overpaid. News flash EVERYONE in this country is overpaid in relation to other parts of the world. All forms of social welfare, all forms of public sector jobs and guess what, even jobs in the private sector. Steps are being taken to bring those wages down. Why shouldnt someone have a moan about it?

The golden pension, not any more kid.

And again, you should really be directing your anger at other people in society before you do so to teachers.

kippy wrote: »
    Teachers are overpaid. News flash EVERYONE in this country is overpaid in relation to other parts of the world. All forms of social welfare, all forms of public sector jobs and guess what, even jobs in the private sector. Steps are being taken to bring those wages down. Why shouldnt someone have a moan about it?

i think you answered your own question there.....

i think you answered your own question there.....

I did indeed,
    Perhaps the poster realises it as well.

I did indeed,
    Perhaps the poster realises it as well.

I wasn't agreeing with you, a little bit of venting is understandable given the circumstances - have a bit of a moan by all means - very few people in any sector are happy with their lot

....but when you start threatening all out strikes it is a different matter

• Advertisement

Just because you say something, it doesn't mean it is true.

Even if you were able to show evidence of that claim (which you probably aren't ;)) if Irish teachers teach more pupils than most other teachers, for more hours than most teachers, then it follows that their salary will be higher.

More hours=more money.

The figures came from the OECD survey you are quoting;). You listed a number of countries working more hours than Irish teachers. All of them earn less than Irish teachers.
    More Hours=less money

The OECD also says that Irish teachers spend more time teaching than most other teachers. You're not questioning that?

Why not compare Irish hourly wage to other countries? The OECD takes as its "average" a teacher with 15 years experience. In Ireland a teacher with 15 years experience earns €50,000 a year. If we just take one allowance the honours degree allowance that adds €5000 extra. (I know not all teachers have honours but many do and I am ignoring all the other allowances). That gives €55,000 a year. According to you Irish teachers work 946 hours a year. That means they earn €58 an hour. How does this compare internationally?

Brian Lenihan offered teachers the chance to be benchmarked against teachers in other countries instead of a pay cut. Unions seem to back away from this. I wonder why?

A teacher with an honours degree (again ignoring all other allowances) earns €36,000 on day one. This is higher than the median wage of all workers in this country. It is also over 30% higher than average starting salary for University Graduates. (according to Grad Ireland the average starting salary of graduates in 2008 was €27,224). Obviously the teacher works substantially less hours.

I wasn't agreeing with you, a little bit of venting is understandable given the circumstances - have a bit of a moan by all means - very few people in any sector are happy with their lot

....but when you start threatening all out strikes it is a different matter

Indeed.
    Although I can understand the anger in some people in relation to what is happening.
    Banks, their top level staff and their shareholders are appearing to get off with limited or no punishment for their part in the debacle.
    Public sector wage cuts will hopefully lead to cuts living costs but when you see health, car and general insurance costs go up, electricity still at an regulated high cost, Ireland as a country having no impact on oil costs, which are rising again, and having less impact on interest rate costs, you can see where people who are being cut wages are wondering where these cuts in living costs are going to come from.

I amnt for stiking myself, its a very blunt instrument and its fairly obvious the government dont have the cash to pay the wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Indeed.
    Although I can understand the anger in some people in relation to what is happening.
    Banks, their top level staff and their shareholders are appearing to get off with limited or no punishment for their part in the debacle.
    Public sector wage cuts will hopefully lead to cuts living costs but when you see health, car and general insurance costs go up, electricity still at an regulated high cost, Ireland as a country having no impact on oil costs, which are rising again, and having less impact on interest rate costs, you can see where people who are being cut wages are wondering where these cuts in living costs are going to come from.

I amnt for stiking myself, its a very blunt instrument and its fairly obvious the government dont have the cash to pay the wages.
    Some of the bank shareholders got very badly burnt, some were counting on these shares for their retirement, while this all eggs in one basket approach was very foolish I feel genuinely sorry for these people. I don't think strikes will solve anything, most of the teachers I know have told me they feel the same but feel they have to participate or risk their colleagues turning against them.

mickeyk wrote: »
    Some of the bank shareholders got very badly burnt, some were counting on these shares for their retirement, while this all eggs in one basket approach was very foolish I feel genuinely sorry for these people. I don't think strikes will solve anything, most of the teachers I know have told me they feel the same but feel they have to participate or risk their colleagues turning against them.

When you buy shares in a company you take on risk.
    The majority of thise shares are still worth something and unless they get taken over by the state those share WILL do up in value again.
    They also managed to make some tidy money on them in the good times with annual dividends and indeed massive increases in value, should they have sold up.

I genuinely feel sorry for the relatively small shareholder who go burned, I do, but that really is a flaw in out pensions system as a whole that people like that HAVE to invest in shares such as banks for a pension.
    Banks LIED to their shareholders(and everyone else) a lot of the time in the past 36 months or so, and nothing has been done about this........shareholders should be doing more about this in my opinion.

Not at all.

Just saw this now which seems to contradict what you are saying about Irish class sizes and the OECDs view of Ireland (from Nov 2009.)

"THE OECD has signalled its support for cuts in teachers’ pay and allowances and pointed to potential efficiency gains across the education sector.

The report tends to back higher class sizes, especially at second level, where pupil-teacher ratios, it says, are among the lowest in the EU.
    The OECD says the percentage of the entire education budget spent on teachers’ pay at primary, secondary and third level – some 75 per cent – is well above average among developed states.

Student/teacher ratios are now among the lowest in the EU at secondary level, though closer to the norm at primary and tertiary levels, it says.

The report also tends to debunk the common perception that Ireland enjoys a world-class education service."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

When you buy shares in a company you take on risk.
    The majority of thise shares are still worth something and unless they get taken over by the state those share WILL do up in value again.
    But you originally claimed "their shareholders are appearing to get off with limited or no punishment for their part in the debacle". This claim was clearly wrong. As for predicting that the value will increase, well if reading the future is your forte then you are better off heading down to buy your Lotto tickets.

I would hope that as failed companies the bank shareholders lose everything but regardless most have lost 95% of their peak value

The figures came from the OECD survey you are quoting;). You listed a number of countries working more hours than Irish teachers. All of them earn less than Irish teachers.
    More Hours=less money

What is your point? There are other teachers earning more but working less.

Less hours = more money.

Why not compare Irish hourly wage to other countries? The OECD takes as its "average" a teacher with 15 years experience. In Ireland a teacher with 15 years experience earns €50,000 a year. If we just take one allowance the honours degree allowance that adds €5000 extra. (I know not all teachers have honours but many do and I am ignoring all the other allowances). That gives €55,000 a year. According to you Irish teachers work 946 hours a year. That means they earn €58 an hour. How does this compare internationally?

The OECD compares at three points, beginning and end of the scale, as well as at 15 years. The OECD does not give figures for primary teachers, its stats are for lower secondary. We can't debate primary, as we don't have the facts.

According to the OECD Irish primary teachers work 946 hours a year. Its not my stat.
    Brian Lenihan offered teachers the chance to be benchmarked against teachers in other countries instead of a pay cut. Unions seem to back away from this. I wonder why?

I have no idea. I have no time for the union. I'm not a member and I don't think they should have any role in deciding teachers pay.

I'd be fine being benchmarked fairly against other countries. If its just a simple analysis of 'teachers in X country get paid less than you, therefore you will have to accept the same amount', then that doesn't really fly.

If benchmarking considered pay, conditions, contact time, etc that would be great.
    A teacher with an honours degree (again ignoring all other allowances) earns €36,000 on day one. This is higher than the median wage of all workers in this country. It is also over 30% higher than average starting salary for University Graduates. (according to Grad Ireland the average starting salary of graduates in 2008 was €27,224). Obviously the teacher works substantially less hours.

Why would you compare teaching to unrelated jobs?

It has no relevance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

frman wrote: »
    Because the Government don't have the money to pay you ?

It is quite simple really.

Surely as a teacher you have come up against difficult mathematical problems such as this.......

Little Johnny usually gets 3 apples for his lunch. Today, his mother only has 2 apples. How many apples do you think little Johnny is going to get today ?

Johnny will kick and scream. however, the simple fact remains that he will not be getting 3 apples.

Great post

Just saw this now which seems to contradict what you are saying about Irish class sizes and the OECDs view of Ireland (from Nov 2009.)

"THE OECD has signalled its support for cuts in teachers’ pay and allowances and pointed to potential efficiency gains across the education sector.

The report tends to back higher class sizes, especially at second level, where pupil-teacher ratios, it says, are among the lowest in the EU.
    The OECD says the percentage of the entire education budget spent on teachers’ pay at primary, secondary and third level – some 75 per cent – is well above average among developed states.

Student/teacher ratios are now among the lowest in the EU at secondary level, though closer to the norm at primary and tertiary levels, it says.

The report also tends to debunk the common perception that Ireland enjoys a world-class education service."

That is not taken directly from the report. That is someones interpretation of the report. Where did you get that commentary? From a newspaper?

Really? Because the 2009 report says that in order to attract good teachers, it is necessary for teachers to be well paid. Thats in the actual report.

Perhaps we should compare the investement into resources in different countries. If we increased our investment in that, the % spent on salaries would come down.

Thats exactly the problem. Ireland has it backwards. We need higher class sizes in secondary, and much lower at primary level. Young children benefit from small classes, older ones do not.

• Advertisement

I think we can all publish statistics till we are blue in the face but i have not seen any statistical proof that the government could continue to afford the public service wage bill at current levels....

Thats a completely fair point.

I supported pay cuts.

Advertisement