Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do people generally want to go back home to Ireland?

Options
  • 30-11-2009 5:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭

I dont. I way prefer Australia but have to go home an finish studies after which im applying for Australian residency.

What about you lot?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I dont. I way prefer Australia but have to go home an finish studies after which im applying for Australian residency.

What about you lot?

I do, I've been here 4 years and I miss it, family mates, sense of humour etc, but I have no intention of going, as the country just seems to be in dismay, no jobs, no trust, no money.

and pints are still like $9-11! There is so much more going for Australia, but I still miss it.

Maybe my 4weeks over xmas will sort out my homesickness ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

As said in the other thread i cant think of one paddy here who has any intention of going home. Some of the girls maybe, but certainly not lads. Cant even think of one lad who has permamently left at the 2nd year end, all either illegal, student visa, or on a holiday visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I don't, if I don't get my second year, i'll be very disappointed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Mr Yellow

ME again... DONT COME BACK to this f**king place, after a sunday nite on the beer, pathetis to say the least. If you have a choice, choose correctly...for your own livlihood...or even common sense :D

I'd give up women to go back to OZ..& that is a lot in my book!!!! (well, for a month anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

I miss it alot more than i thought i would. Friends, family, the craic, etc. But i know i would be on the dole if i had stayed at home or else be working part time. And i couldnt hack that. Speaking to other irish people here and in aus, going home seems to be a last resort aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

I've only been here 4 months, and the plan was only to stay a year, but I've already decided that I'm gonna try to stay. I'm on a 457 so lucky that once I have a job I'm sorted. My gf is moving out next month so apart from family, who've already told me not to bother coming home because it's so sh!t, there isn't much there for me at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I like it here.

Not like the NZ pay levels, but i get by ok. So not too worried.

But I prefer living here to Ireland.
    Better weather and people.

I've been home three times in three years. So I still see family here and there. Next trip is xmas 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Vorsprung wrote: »
    I'm on a 457 so lucky that once I have a job I'm sorted.

457 is a work sponsered visa, if you dont have a job you dont have that visa.

Maybe im not understanding you. :confused:

he could be sponsored by an agency ... but generally yes you need a job to start with!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Yea I do have a job, so I am sorted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Gotcha! ;)

Jesus, its a terrible situation really isnt it. I would love if it wasnt in such a bad situation. If i could comfortable go home finish my studies and get a job and start working towards saving to come back over on permanent residency but it seams that once you go home you are stuck there on the dole with no room to move due to lack of funds or prospects.
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

Gotcha! ;)

Jesus, its a terrible situation really isnt it. I would love if it wasnt in such a bad situation. If i could comfortable go home finish my studies and get a job and start working towards saving to come back over on permanent residency but it seams that once you go home you are stuck there on the dole with no room to move due to lack of funds or prospects.

there in lies the rub. No job = no work experience which you need for residency.
    At least if your profession isnt on the csl its looking like 2012 before they are processing premanent residency. So if you were working back home you would have to wait anyways but if your not working it will be a tough one.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

If Ireland had Australia's weather and lifestyle then I'd definitely be at home. However it doesn't, and the whole recession thing is a bit of buzz killer so I really don't understand how anyone could possibly prefer to be there at the moment.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    If Ireland had Australia's weather and lifestyle then I'd definitely be at home.

but then it wouldn't be Ireland! I think a reason for our famous sense of humour/fun is partly to do with the weather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Yep, fully plan on heading back in two or three years when my OH finishes his PhD. I like living in New Zealand but prefer home. Once we settle down I'll want my family around. My OH is not really close to his family so it doesn't make sense for us to settle here.

No point going back earlier than that though. I have a good job here and am getting some good experience. It was a good time to go away for a few years but it was never going to be forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

I'm just here til June/July
    Headin home, gettin some Euro travel in then startin back to college in September
    I think if I didnt have college to go back to I'd stay here, but it's not a place I'd wanna live for good anyways [althought neither is Ireland. Europe ftw!!]

My brother is in Sydney on a student visa, doin all he can to stay, but I dont know why
    All he does it work all week, 4am start, then go the pub on a saturday

Oz is like Marmite, ye'll either love it [and "get" it] or hate it

If I wanna come back Ill just get a student visa and do some TAFE
    And there's always NZ!.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Not sure... I've been here 6 months on my WHV and the company I work for are swapping me onto another contract (they have two different companies one deals with residential developments the other commercial) they have been talking about sponsoring me but I don't know for sure if I want to be tied to a job that I'm happy enough to do while trying to live it up knowing I have to go home but knowing that I would be staying and doing it for a couple of years... I'm not so sure. On the other hand I know theres f all work at home so dont know what to do really.

Im thinking Ill stay but Ill want to try and get a good bit of time off to see Aus as I was going to travel at the end of the Visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Thats it

I'd rather have my year bein able to move around

The residency route would be not stop work etc, with any holidays prob be used to go home
    and flights home would spinge all your savings

I'm not arsed sacrificing 4/5 years just to stay here for good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

hussey wrote: »

Maybe my 4weeks over xmas will sort out my homesickness ;)

Hussey I went home in Xmas 2006 after 2 years absence and couldn't wait to get back to Oz, I found 3 weeks too long.... Its good to go home see the folks and that everything is just the same.... I actually felt more homesick in Ireland than in Australia.

Enjoy that feeling of landing back in OZ again.... it feels like the first time again.... Exciting
    shane86 wrote: »
    As said in the other thread i cant think of one paddy here who has any intention of going home. Some of the girls maybe, but certainly not lads. Cant even think of one lad who has permamently left at the 2nd year end, all either illegal, student visa, or on a holiday visa.

One of my best friends went back to Ireland after being illegal for 6 years in order to get his ENS PR visa, he couldn't face going illegal for the rest of his life and took the plunge to go straight. His Nomination was approved a few weeks ago and he is just waiting for the allocation of a case officer.
    Gotcha! ;)

Many people go home with the intention of returning and just get stuck in a rut.... it takes a strong mind to take the PR plunge from over there!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

mandrake04 wrote: »

Many people go home with the intention of returning and just get stuck in a rut.... it takes a strong mind to take the PR plunge from over there!!

nail on the head.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Dunno what you are all finding so great about Oz. Its alright, bit like a sunny England really. Have you guys lived in a range of places, or just Ireland and Oz?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Did it that way myself. Found it easier than the alternative. Atleast at home you can "set it and forget it". Just apply and sit out a long wait. When it does eventually come through you can validate and forget it for another 5 years before making the move. Although it does take a strong mind not to be dreaming your time away while waiting and forgetting to live.

I would not have been able to handle being in Aus and stuck with an employer who had a hold over me or needing to meet other criteria. I couldnt handle being beholden to anyone regarding getting to stay on. Some are lucky with a good company or somesuch but too much of a risk for me.

The study route is also full of danger. Expensive and they can change the rules at the last minute when you have forked out a fortune.

I have citizenship (probably mentioned that a million times) but unless I am living out rural in the next 3 years I cant see myself staying. Am bound to Sydney for now but long term would love to get a few acres and anice home. I turned down a sweet number in Mudgee a few weeks back as the timing wasnt right but if I am not rural in 3 yrs or so would head back to Ireland.

On a side note I do feel sorry for anyone heading back and not entitled to the dole. Things are merde with a capital s back home and really no end in sight. if you are thinking of heading out and satisfy the following criteria
    a) entitled to the dole for a while yet
    b)will still be eligible for whv when the dole runs out
    stay in ireland. Controversial but hey

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

CiaranC wrote: »
    Dunno what you are all finding so great about Oz. Its alright, bit like a sunny England really. Have you guys lived in a range of places, or just Ireland and Oz?

Lived in Ireland, Chicago and Perth.

All three have their plus points, but both Perth and Chi-town were very easy to settle into in terms of lifestyle. I prefer the warmer weather as well and that's probably the biggest reason I don't want to be at home right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Nah, Im staying.

Im currently in a pair of shorts, on my balcony, with Brizzy river and city views living in a place I could not afford to live in at home.

Life is great, in the smaller cities cost of living is far less than Dublin and luckily enough in certain areas the skill shortage means you can get paid more here too!

last w/e was at a pool party and went for a massive cycle, tonight just back from rugby.

ALL of the above I did not do back home, my wife and I have a had a massive lifestyle change and we can do all the thigns here that so often weather and over pricedness prevented at home. ( eg. oysters every Fri :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭writetojd

I'd much prefer to stay than go home but unless sponsorship magically happens I'll be heading home next year when my visa expires. I'll hopefully be applying for Canada once I get home because the thoughts of actually living in Ireland scares me the way things are, no hope of work in my career and no funding if I wanna go back to college.
    Fingers crossed I get a decent job and they want to keep me around. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Nah, Im staying.

Im currently in a pair of shorts, on my balcony, with Brizzy river and city views living in a place I could not afford to live in at home.

Life is great, in the smaller cities cost of living is far less than Dublin and luckily enough in certain areas the skill shortage means you can get paid more here too!

last w/e was at a pool party and went for a massive cycle, tonight just back from rugby.

ALL of the above I did not do back home, my wife and I have a had a massive lifestyle change and we can do all the thigns here that so often weather and over pricedness prevented at home. ( eg. oysters every Fri :) )

not picking holes, but you can do all of those things in Ireland, maybe not in Dublin. I see your point though...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Yeah im gonna go home after my first year if i make it that far, i dont really like Aus and there culture, prefer Ireland any day, and the work holiday visa is just one big scam to help get more money into Aus.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I really don't understand how anyone could possibly prefer to be there at the moment.

*cries on Xavis shoulder*

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭603304529

Yeah im gonna go home after my first year if i make it that far, i dont really like Aus and there culture, prefer Ireland any day, and the work holiday visa is just one big scam to help get more money into Aus.

You're a funny one Jonjo. I've never seen you write anything positive about Oz. Why don't you just come back to Ireland?? There's plenty of misery to share: wind, rain, flooding, financial crisis, abuse reports, swine flu scaremongering, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

603304529 wrote: »
    You're a funny one Jonjo. I've never seen you write anything positive about Oz. Why don't you just come back to Ireland?? There's plenty of misery to share: wind, rain, flooding, financial crisis, abuse reports, swine flu scaremongering, etc.

Sounds great. Your right i dont have many things positive to say about Aus cause i think its overrated, drinking in a pub is so expensive its unreal thus i dont go to pubs anymore, the food is horrible except for the steaks, i dunno Aus is not for me. Id prefer raining Ireland any day where at leasr i can afford to have a few drinks and have a good variety of food.

Advertisement