Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do people generally want to go back home to Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

unreggd wrote: »
    Of course you can

Anyways, my point is you're pitchin Oz with an unrealistic idea
    People like you makin comments like that are the reason everyone coming over is suspecting nothing but big and wonderful things, handed to them on a plat

Yeah thats the problem the expect someone to hand them it on a platter.....

seachto7 wrote: »
    Just because you make good money doesn't mean you have to blow it on a fancy car to show people you're a success... (nice boat though).
    Funnily enough, a lot of Aussies don't care what car they drive.

What are you talking about? I have never bought a car in my life, I have always driven company cars in Ireland, UK and Australia.... Its part of my job. I dont even have to pay for fuel i get a Caltax card.

Traq wrote: »
    So the only people who don't care what they've got in their driveway are the lads sitting in the Tea Gardens drinking themselves silly? I have to say I find that attitude pretty strange, I've been here over two years now, working pretty much since I got off the plane way back in '07 and I for one couldn't give a sh*t about what I've got parked outside the house. It's not all about perceived status symbols for me.

On topic, for the first year or so of working over here I thought I'd be happy to stay out here and never go back but lately I find myself checking out recruitireland and irishjobs a lot more often, and think that if the right opportunity came up at home I'd happily go back. I'm still very much enjoying my time in Oz, I suppose I'm just beginning to question if it's a place I can really see myself settling a lot more now. Having been away for a good while now there's just that feeling that your friends and family's lives are passing you by a bit...

Same as above...

A man in my position requires a vehicle to get me from job to job and to carry my tools and equipment.. It is tool of trade vehicle. I used to drive a standard white commodore but since I was promoted to supervisor I was able to negotiate what car I drive. Its not so much about perceived symbols but since the car is used for personal use as well as business I would rather drive what I want and let my Employer pay for it.

A few of my friends work in construction and they drive Utes, Hilux, Rodeo etc... No difference it just comes with the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭jackthekipper

jank wrote: »
    I am not trying to put us down or anything but the facts do not lie. You will see in another thread that I back you where the Irish need to be more positive and stop cribing about the little things that dont matter. That doesn't mean we can hide away from reality.

To some extent the ECB is already running the country. The gave us the loans for NAMA and told Brian Cowen that 4 billion must be cut from the public purse each year for the next 3/4 years (or else raised in taxes!) The budget is due next week which will raise war and that is the tip of the ice berg as the next 3 budgets will be as bad. Alternative, leave the euro and we are on our own. So, Yes Europe to some extent is running Ireland and that influence is only to grow.

We will get out of it but not if the Irish people just accept the status quo, give out to ourselves for being negative slap oursleves on the wrist and continue along the same path that led us to this crux in the first place. A change in mind set and culture needs to happen first THEN we can talk ourselves up.

Reality first, positive attitude then as a positive attitude now only brushes the mistakes of the past under the carpet thus we come about to the same situation. Didn't Lemmas say "Sure we cant find jobs for everyone.." We bucked that trend in the last 15 years but now what??

Have you ever asked yourself how Ireland continually manages to **** it up and by extension the only way to survive is to pretty much export our population. We are supposed to be in the EU and a shining example of what is good about Europe yet here we are 20+ billion in the red this year alone, 50 odd billion for NAMA, almost 500,000 unemployed and the political establishment paralyzed by fear over what to do never mind the other elites like the bankers and clergy going along their merry way as if everything is rosey. Projections are that we will reach GDP to Debt ration of 100% within 3 years unless drastic cuts happen. If that happens ALL bets are off!

To come out of this we need to reach the bottom and realize what we are up against. This aint the 80's. This is a global world where Paddy is competing with Mr Chan and Ms Syaid.

However, I am optimistic that there IS a sea change of attitude in Irish society where especially the younger generation of the future will NOT repeat the same mistakes. This is why I am optimistic for the long term future of Ireland and the Irish people because I hope to live there and die some day. Not in OZ or NZ.

First point, Irish people can't elect competent people to run the country, the place is run by gombeen men and glorified county councillors living off the family name.
    Secondly the property bubble helped buck the trend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

mandrake04 wrote: »
    What are you talking about? I have never bought a car in my life, I have always driven company cars in Ireland, UK and Australia.... Its part of my job. I dont even have to pay for fuel i get a Caltax card.

fair play. It's not only in Aus that this can happen. I'd prefer the boat. I'm not saying it's rubbish in Aus, but I know people. some are related to me, who go on about how much their life is better in Aus (and it's not that better, the weather is maybe, but that's about it..), ALL the time, when I also know that they would prefer to be in IReland, but they've been down under for so long, they're afriad to do it....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Daithio

It hardly replaces having my family close at hand.... but sure makes up with the lifestyle..

You're right they don't care ......as long as they are sitting in the Tea Gardens every week getting sh1t faced with a load of other Paddies complaining that no one has found them a job yet....

Sure anyone could do that in Ireland

Never heard of him.

Moral of the story is .... That you can live the dream in Australia.

You will only get out what you put in.... simple

Can you do this with your friends 8 months of the year in Dublin?

Where's the wanker button?

Daithio wrote: »
    Where's the wanker button?

You should know!!! Its right beside the Loser button

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Wheres the loser button?

Wheres the loser button?

Under Daithio's finger

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

You seem to be abit of a negative neddie (your username is very apt anyway)

You seem to love bashing anything and everything about Australia?
    Are you for real? Do u see what they call bread here which they sell in the supermarkets and bakeries, it sticks to the top of your mouth and tastes more like salt than bread.

I love the bread it tastes EXACTLY the same, tell me where you buy yours so I can avoid that place :P
    Very few times when ive eaten out do you get vegtables with your meal its mostly chip.

Oporto's eh? :D But seriously ask for veg if you want it.
    the slices of ham for sandwiches is the most processed crap i have ever eaten and as for getting good spuds here forget about it, they dont exist. The only good food here is steak and lamb thats about it.

Again let me know where you shop so I can avoid it, I've had no problems with any meat,spuds,butter, bacon, corn flakes, toilet roll, etc, etc (bar the choclate..it's shiite)....

but then again I'm not trying my best to hate Australia :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I dont hate Aus i just dont hype it up and think its the best thing since sliced bread like a lot of Irish people think.
    You must admit Aus is the most backword country when it come to broadband and internet access and the prices and the speed of the service, id say many third world country are miles ahead of it when it come to sped and rollout of broadband, also the quality of newspapers here is unbelievable, some of the articles wrote by Journalists here are hard to believe, full of slang words and putting a big O after everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Lemondrop kid

It took me ten years to try to forget Oz. Today, in the middle of the latest thunderstrom of rain i thought of it again. Weird.

Anyway, it's best not to think too much when your away, enjoy the buzz cos its rare you'll get a second chance.
    If your homesick, that's fine - quite normal. Very homesick - go home, really is the only cure.
    Overall enjoy the buzz when you can.

(interesting how this is an irish post site and you're all in Oz, personally i didn't think of eire til it was time to return)

You should know!!! Its right beside the Loser button

I don't know what it takes to qualify as a loser in your book, but boasting about your boat and salary on an internet forum does it for me.

I dont hate Aus i just dont hype it up and think its the best thing since sliced bread like a lot of Irish people think.
    You must admit Aus is the most backword country when it come to broadband and internet access and the prices and the speed of the service, id say many third world country are miles ahead of it when it come to sped and rollout of broadband, also the quality of newspapers here is unbelievable, some of the articles wrote by Journalists here are hard to believe, full of slang words and putting a big O after everything.

quality

Irish or Australian sliced bread? because I hear the Australian stuff sticks to the top of your mouth and tastes too salty.

quality

QualityO?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

Same as above...

A man in my position requires a vehicle to get me from job to job and to carry my tools and equipment.. It is tool of trade vehicle. I used to drive a standard white commodore but since I was promoted to supervisor I was able to negotiate what car I drive. Its not so much about perceived symbols but since the car is used for personal use as well as business I would rather drive what I want and let my Employer pay for it.

A few of my friends work in construction and they drive Utes, Hilux, Rodeo etc... No difference it just comes with the job.

Mate, I wasn't arguing about what you drive, and never said anything about you splashing out your cash on it, each to their own and all that. My issue was with the fact that you think the only people who couldn't care less about what's in their driveway are those who sit around the Tea Gardens drinking all the time and not doing a tap of work while they're here. It may come as a surprise to you but there are an awful lot of hardworking people, on very good wages, who really don't give a damn about boats and cars and all those trappings, and being able to boast about having a boat or a fancy car means jack sh*t to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

Can you do this with your friends 8 months of the year in Dublin?[/QUOTE]
    Watch out for the crocs, they're behind you!! Would not wanna tip my toe into that water! Also, make use you're wearing factor 50!

I don't know what it takes to qualify as a loser in your book, but boasting about your boat and salary on an internet forum does it for me.

Yeah well what ever you think, I landed in Australia in 2004 with a WHV and $8000 in my back pocket... I reckon I have give the old land of opportunity a fair crack.... I am happy with my life here in Australia.....and I was happy enough to share the details to all the begrudger's like you.

Gerry Ryan is correct Ireland is full of begrudger's ....

Watch out for the crocs, they're behind you!! Would not wanna tip my toe into that water! Also, make use you're wearing factor 50!

No crocs ..... its the Hawkesbury plenty of Bull sharks though...

• Advertisement

Yeah well what ever you think, I landed in Australia in 2004 with a WHV and $8000 in my back pocket... I reckon I have give the old land of opportunity a fair crack.... I am happy with my life here in Australia.....and I was happy enough to share the details to all the begrudger's like you.

Gerry Ryan is correct Ireland is full of begrudger's ....

Too fukkin right imo. Fair play to you.

I am determined to do the same and make a proper go of it over here once my studys are done.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

If people don't cop on and grow up then I'll be handing out bans/infractions.

If you can't discuss things without resorting to petty insults then there's no point you being here anyway

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TheCandystripes

france > australia

france > australia

How so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TheCandystripes

girls hotter, nicer country, better food, better people, better culture, better language ;) not in the middle of nowhere(like australia)

paris is kinda dump but a cool place if your a teen but grenoble where i used to live is great.

girls hotter, nicer country, better food, better people, better culture, better language ;) not in the middle of nowhere(like australia)

paris is kinda dump but a cool place if your a teen but grenoble where i used to live is great.

Have you been to Oz?

Surely there is no greater language than the Queens English.

The consenses is that the French are not easy to get on with, this plausable or busted?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

The consenses is that the French are not easy to get on with, this plausable or busted?

I had no problems with the French when I travelled through France. If you approach them bawling in English for directions than of course you get the appropriate response considering their dislike of the English is even greater than ours.

m@cc@ wrote: »
    I had no problems with the French when I travelled through France. If you approach them bawling in English for directions than of course you get the appropriate response considering their dislike of the English is even greater than ours.

Oh really? Why so?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Oh really? Why so?

Why do countries generally dislike each other - Proximity.

Maybe I can exaggerated it a bit, but I found it a bit much that no British (more specifcally English) representative was invited to the D-Day celebrations in France despite the contingent deployed from Britain and Canada. But then, I guess that how much the dislike runs deep.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭dynamopiev

france > australia

Defo is. Just generally more urbane and cooler.

Advertisement