Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do people generally want to go back home to Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TheCandystripes

Have you been to Oz?

Surely there is no greater language than the Queens English.

The consenses is that the French are not easy to get on with, this plausable or busted?

well no my parents lived there for a year back in 1980s and liked it and idk i guess australia prob has a few things better, like climate(northern and west france has crap weather) and for irish probably easier to adapt to in general.

idk about french, im french myself so lol i cant really answer this. its like anywhere i guess, parisiens as the stereotype goes are what you could call rude but that happens when you lift in a cramped city lol, same with london and new york. french are fun i think. they do hate english tho, so its not best to speak in the queens english hahah.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

they do hate english tho, so its not best to speak in the queens english hahah.

Why do they hate the English?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Why do they hate the English?

Who doesn’t? ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

First point, Irish people can't elect competent people to run the country, the place is run by gombeen men and glorified county councillors living off the family name.
    Secondly the property bubble helped buck the trend.

Yes and what is your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

girls hotter

Lies make baby Jesus cry. Seriously, the standard of women over here is sensational due to all the mixed backgrounds. Variety is the spice of life etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Lies make baby Jesus cry. Seriously, the standard of women over here is sensational due to all the mixed backgrounds. Variety is the spice of life etc.

tell me about it, check out this cracker
    dame-edna1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Derek B

I love the bread it tastes EXACTLY the same, tell me where you buy yours so I can avoid that place :P

All bread in Oz is now fortified with iodine..link - http://www.blackmores.com.au/News/Detail.aspx?ArticleId=9670

Not sure if this is the case back home

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Daithio wrote: »
    I don't know what it takes to qualify as a loser in your book, but boasting about your boat and salary on an internet forum does it for me.

{SNIP!}

I agree, This isn't a show of MTV cribs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

jank wrote: »
    {SNIP!}

I agree, This isn't a show of MTV cribs.

I actually thought he was being hypothetical because I didn't think anyone would post that kind of stuff. F***in hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Reminds me of this story. So Australian. :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7567239.stm
    The mayor of a remote Australian mining town has come under fire after saying that female "ugly ducklings" might benefit from its shortage of women.

John Molony told a newspaper last week that "with five blokes to every girl, may I suggest that beauty-disadvantaged women should proceed to Mount Isa". The council has since been swamped with complaints from both men and women.
    But Mr Molony has refused to apologise for the remarks, saying he was "telling it like it is" in the Queensland town.

Located 1,829km (1,136 miles) from Brisbane, Mount Isa is home to one of the world's biggest underground mines. In 2006, there were just 819 women aged 20-24 living there out of a total population of 21,421, according to the most recent census.

'Lonely women'

In an interview with the Townsville Bulletin last week, Mr Molony proposed a novel solution to Mount Isa's shortage of eligible women. "Quite often you will see walking down the street a lass who is not so attractive with a wide smile on her face. Whether it is recollection of something previous or anticipation for the next evening, there is a degree of happiness," he said.
    "Some, in other places in Australia, need to proceed to Mount Isa where happiness awaits. Really, beauty is only skin deep. Isn't there a fairy tale about an ugly duckling that evolves into a beautiful swan," he added.
    A fellow councillor, Jean Ferris, said the invitation to "beauty-disadvantaged women" had caused consternation among both sexes.
    "It's an absolute disgrace," she told the Courier Mail. "It's not council's view and it's not mine. It's hard when you've got to defend something someone else has said. We're definitely appalled."
    Mr Molony has since refused to retract his remarks and insisted he is "a bloke who respects women".
    "I believe we should look after women," he said. "I'm told men outnumber women here by five to one. If that's the case, then perhaps it's an opportunity for some lonely women."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭jackthekipper

jank wrote: »
    Yes and what is your point?

Who will return to a corrupt banana republic where there is no chance of employment?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Derek B wrote: »
    All bread in Oz is now fortified with iodine..link - http://www.blackmores.com.au/News/Detail.aspx?ArticleId=9670

Not sure if this is the case back home

It could have cocaine in it for all I know :D I still think it tastes the same.;) ...

In fact I just had a sandwich for lunch and the bread didn't stick to the roof of my mouth or tasted one bit salty...shock to the system :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Who will return to a corrupt banana republic where there is no chance of employment?

Don't believe the media hype. There's still stacks of jobs back home, just the day of the 30k + factory worker is long over..

Depends on what trade your in ...if your building tradesman then your screwed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭jackthekipper

Don't believe the media hype. There's still stacks of jobs back home, just the day of the 30k + factory worker is long over..

Depends on what trade your in ...if your building tradesman then your screwed

When you had close to 40% being employed directly or indirectly by that sector then there is now issues, plus when you're tax is going to pay for bad decisions by the Galway races crowd, why bother?

You do know France is ethnically diverse too. Prob more than Australia because Australia had racist immigrant laws until recently. France has been receving peoples from all over for centuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Yeah well, ive been to France many times and to many different countries aswell and Australian women, lets be honest, are absolutely stunning!

Out of 10 girls you see 7 are absolute crackers, 2 would still get it and 1 might need some alcoholic persuasion. :p

French women are hot too, but not by the bucketful which seems to be the case in Oz.

Either way, theyre both better than the majority of Irish women anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Is there like a no thanks button. Seriously immature post ION08

It is a bit. Sorry to cause any offense if you're an Irish woman (which i'm sure you probably are)

Its true though, they have a very high proportion of stunningly beautiful women here compared to Ireland. (Its just the way it is, far better gene pool)

Ive edited my previous post accordingly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Im heading back with the OH in March, we will have been here for a year at that stage, and to be honest, i cant wait to go back.
    I know ill probably be on the dole, but we have a house to stay in, and we both have cars back home. so we do have more to go back to than some other people.
    The reason we cant wait to go back is that we're just not happy here, for a number of reasons,
    -We miss our friends and family at home
    -Its hard to get a spontanious session goin, ya need to book people at least a week in advance to go out on the beer.
    -The people here are too interested in material possesions, its all about how much you earn, what you drive, what your house is like etc.
    -Most of the men are macho, egotistical sexist pigs, and most of the women are emotionaly unstable drama queens.

There are things that we enjoy here though, the weather, beaches, BBQ's, but overall we had a better life back in Ireland, even though we were unemployed. Money isnt everything

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Mackman wrote: »
    Im heading back with the OH in March, we will have been here for a year at that stage, and to be honest, i cant wait to go back.
    I know ill probably be on the dole, but we have a house to stay in, and we both have cars back home. so we do have more to go back to than some other people.
    The reason we cant wait to go back is that we're just not happy here, for a number of reasons,
    -We miss our friends and family at home
    -Its hard to get a spontanious session goin, ya need to book people at least a week in advance to go out on the beer.
    -The people here are too interested in material possesions, its all about how much you earn, what you drive, what your house is like etc.
    -Most of the men are macho, egotistical sexist pigs, and most of the women are emotionaly unstable drama queens.

There are things that we enjoy here though, the weather, beaches, BBQ's, but overall we had a better life back in Ireland, even though we were unemployed. Money isnt everything

Well said sir well said.

• Advertisement

Well said sir well said.

We get it - you dont like Australia but give it a rest man!!

I wouldnt be one to preach Australia as some sort of promised land, It definitely has many many advantages over Ireland and also negatives but in the end im missing my family and freinds so ill be goin home after the 1 yr. Oz is great for the year but its not for me - not permanently anyway!

Different strokes for different folks but you seem to be really bitter and have a massive chip on your shoulder, whats your deal!?

ION08 wrote: »
    Yeah well, ive been to France many times and to many different countries aswell and Australian women, lets be honest, are absolutely stunning!

Out of 10 girls you see 7 are absolute crackers, 2 would still get it and 1 might need some alcoholic persuasion. :p

French women are hot too, but not by the bucketful which seems to be the case in Oz.

Either way, theyre both better than the majority of Irish women anyway

Norwegian people are hottest by a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

Comparing the US, France, UK, Ireland, Aus etc could go on forever.

Every country has it's great side and it's bad side. And what might seem like a bad point to one person will be a good point to another person.

So saying things like France is better than Aus or I can't understand why anyone is going back to Ireland is... People seem to forget it isn't a fact, it's your opinion.

I'm in Madrid at the moment and I love it here. The city is huge, the weather is great (except summer), the people are great, the lifestyles great but the place still has it's problems, which I'm not going to pretend don't exist because the sun's shining, alcohol/food is cheap and the people are nice.

I still miss Ireland. Ireland is a tiny country but I love it. I can't wait to get home for Christmas. The people, the food (Whoever said Irish food is bland is obviously a bad cook and went to crap restaurants!), the humour, the weather, the pubs, the scenery, the history etc

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055759091

That's just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Mackman wrote: »
    I

Yea I really don’t get this at all but it’s so true! It’s like they plan their lives out 2 weeks in advance and there’s no spontaneity at all on a Friday or Saturday night. Back home Id just ring up my mates on a Friday night and we would organize things there and then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

ION08 wrote: »
    It is a bit. Sorry to cause any offense if you're an Irish woman (which i'm sure you probably are)

Its true though, they have a very high proportion of stunningly beautiful women here compared to Ireland. (Its just the way it is, far better gene pool)

I've edited my previous post accordingly

No offence taken the reason I know its immature because once I thought the same way.

Australia has 21 million people, its not rocket science. So in short Australia has more people and by that has more beautiful women and men too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

Doc wrote: »
    Yea I really don’t get this at all but it’s so true! It’s like they plan their lives out 2 weeks in advance and there’s no spontaneity at all on a Friday or Saturday night. Back home Id just ring up my mates on a Friday night and we would organize things there and then.

Never a truer word spoken - its one of the serious downsides of Australian life, especially in Perth but it's generally a problem all around as most places are spread out and alot of towns don't seem to have any centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 solas geal

Hi guys,

I'm in Oz at the moment but will be happy enough to head home at the end of my year. Australia is good, I got a good job etc but what really annoys me is people making out that it is infinitely superior to Ireland the craphole.
    For the most part, Australia is exceptionally similar to Ireland bar the weather. If you talk about the lifestyle - beaches, bbqs, bushwalking, sports etc, it basically all stems down to being able to rely on the weather. And I'm not knocking it, I love the sun, but let's not go overboard.
    The craic, humour, and i do think national psyche etc is better at home - we don't take ourselves as seriously.
    And guess what Australia has many of the same problems (bar recession, and that's mostly due to its self-sufficiency with natural resources) - crime, corruption etc - yes it exists in Australia too (along with a lot more 'wayward' sports stars)
    So while I am not saying Australia is not a good place, I also think people shouldn't forget the good parts of Ireland either. Ireland on a good day - in Wicklow, Kerry, parts of the west, Donegal etc - is one of the most beautiful places in the world (and i've travelled about a lot)

solas geal wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm in Oz at the moment but will be happy enough to head home at the end of my year. Australia is good, I got a good job etc but what really annoys me is people making out that it is infinitely superior to Ireland the craphole.
    For the most part, Australia is exceptionally similar to Ireland bar the weather. If you talk about the lifestyle - beaches, bbqs, bushwalking, sports etc, it basically all stems down to being able to rely on the weather. And I'm not knocking it, I love the sun, but let's not go overboard.
    The craic, humour, and i do think national psyche etc is better at home - we don't take ourselves as seriously.
    And guess what Australia has many of the same problems (bar recession, and that's mostly due to its self-sufficiency with natural resources) - crime, corruption etc - yes it exists in Australia too (along with a lot more 'wayward' sports stars)
    So while I am not saying Australia is not a good place, I also think people shouldn't forget the good parts of Ireland either. Ireland on a good day - in Wicklow, Kerry, parts of the west, Donegal etc - is one of the most beautiful places in the world (and i've travelled about a lot)

well said, for most part.
    But Australia and Ireland are not similar bar the weather - they are totally different regardless.
    The Irish psyche has been built because of the weather, history etc
    a lot of factors which it doesn't share at all with Australia.

If Ireland has a proper 3-4months of summer rather than 2/3 weeks, we would have a different attitude/sense of humour, and ultimately country.

I also believe Ireland is amazing, a summers day near the shannon is heaven.
    I still remember playing football till 10pm in the summer as kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

hussey wrote: »
    But Australia and Ireland are not similar bar the weather - they are totally different regardless.
    They ARE very similar bar the weather. All english speaking countries are quite similar. Try living outside the English speaking world and youll see how different those places are.

• Advertisement

CiaranC wrote: »
    They ARE very similar bar the weather. All english speaking countries are quite similar. Try living outside the English speaking world and youll see how different those places are.

Define similar though?

History, Geography, population, climate, sports, food, activities, culture are all different to Ireland.

I don't think Ireland is 'quite similar' to Australia, yes of course they share stuff in common, but then again so does germany, sweden with Ireland etc.
    Also the european influx hugely helped.

But apart from use of English Language I find it hard to think of stuff we share with Ireland. (and of course the pub, but in ireland this seems more social activity)

Advertisement