Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do people generally want to go back home to Ireland?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

True it was a real perfect storm scenario.

The week before 40+ temperatures fried every inch of water out of Victoria.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

kittex wrote: »
    I'm sure if we had billions upon billions of iron, gold, diamonds, gas and oil in Ireland wouldn't be in recession either.

No ,I'm sure we'd end up giving it away to some multinational like Shell :rolleyes:

No ,I'm sure we'd end up giving it away to some multinational like Shell :rolleyes:

I was thinking we would pay a huge amount of outside consultants to look into buying magic beans.

Then we would purchase the magic beans, of whoever supplied the most spainish golf trips.

We would then re-negotiate the wages of anyone in the civil service who dealt with the new beans because they were hired to use the older beans.

Once this was done we would hire more consultants to see if the new beans where any good.

Then scrap the new magic beans and pay the minister in charge of beans sisters company to store the new magic beans and we would go back to the old beans.

Then re-hire the original consultants to look into purchasing newer beans, and investigate why we wasted so much time on the project. As long as no-one actually was blamed in the report

..........:o

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

Daithio wrote: »
    Sorry, that's just wrong. Government in Australia functions a thousand times more efficiently than it does in Ireland.

You obviously haven't dealt much with the government here then! So far I have found them shockingly inefficient and incompetent. For example, they recently realised they needed additional housing for 2 years only, for key workers in my town. they bought transportables (good) then had them adapted for permanent fixture (wasteful). They then had one landscaped at the demands of a teacher who was only living in it for 10 weeks, at a cost of thousands.
    This is on top of the $20,000 it cost to move the guy up here, unpack his goods then move him back.

Money gets wasted something awful - there's just so much coming in from royalties and taxes that it is not as obvious when it's sent down the pan.

I mean, this is the same government that spends millions on anti skin cancer adverts, but doesn't require kids to wear hats outdoors at school or sunscreen on school trips; the same government that told people to stop using the hard shoulder for breakdowns rather than prosecute lorry drivers who undertook in it and caused deaths (don't want to piss off industry now do we?).

No ,I'm sure we'd end up giving it away to some multinational like Shell
    A very good point! But we don't have reserves on the same scale at all, the job generation just isn't the same. For example, although the money from Gorgon itself is largely leaving Oz, the expected 10,000 to 15,000 jobs created and the royalties will be a huge boon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I agree NSW government are F**king idiots....they spent $60m on investigating transport card like the Oyster system in London.. and then scrapped because they reckon it wasn't going to work. They then were going to build a NW metroline then scrapped it, decided on building a a SW railway line instead plus a Metro line to Dulwich Hill... that looks it going to get shelved now. They waste so much money Fecking around... at least when they were building the Luas the Irish government tore up the streets... and actually built the damn thing.... It pissed everyone off for years with all the roadworks but hey it actually exists.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

ION08 wrote: »
    We get it - you dont like Australia but give it a rest man!!

I wouldnt be one to preach Australia as some sort of promised land, It definitely has many many advantages over Ireland and also negatives but in the end im missing my family and freinds so ill be goin home after the 1 yr. Oz is great for the year but its not for me - not permanently anyway!

Different strokes for different folks but you seem to be really bitter and have a massive chip on your shoulder, whats your deal!?

isn't he extremely annoying? Jesus I mean there's so much to do and see there, and the weather is fantastic, and all he does is come in here and bitch and moan about the place? I personally wouldnt live there full time, but the year I spent there was great, I had an absolute ball, this guy needs to loosen up a bit, it's unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    and the weather is fantastic,

I'm sat in my office in Melbourne and its pissing down. When do I get all this fantastic weather everyone is going on about?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Doc wrote: »
    I'm sat in my office in Melbourne and its pissing down. When do I get all this fantastic weather everyone is going on about?:p

Too true, though I'm about to catch a flight to Sydney for a couple of days. :)

After Xmas Doc ...you where here last year went you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Hiding in the Aircon in my office in Brisbane, and its only 10AM not lokin forward to the afternoon :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Sydney :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=98334&stc=1&d=1260232763

I went outside and it is Lush! Not a cloud in the sky despite what google weather says ;)

Zambia232 wrote: »
    After Xmas Doc ...you where here last year went you?

No I got here about 7 months ago so I’ve not had a summer yet.

I think we had one really good week that was apparently freakishly hot for the time of year but other then that it’s been hit and miss. I really hope it’s good for the weekend as Ill be going to Meredith! Its **** I can’t even complain about the rain to Australians because they just go “yea but we need it”.

Stopping an Irishman complaining about the weather there should be laws against that kind of behavior. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Melbourne in the rain. Might as well be in Rathmines tbh

I think we had one really good week that was apparently freakishly hot for the time of year but other then that it’s been hit and miss. I really hope it’s good for the weekend as Ill be going to Meredith! Its **** I can’t even complain about the rain to Australians because they just go “yea but we need it”.

Stopping an Irishman complaining about the weather there should be laws against that kind of behavior. ;)

Oh it heats up after Christmas, never fear

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Weather is looking ok for Meredith. 20-22 degrees or thereabouts, but with a slight chance of the odd shower. Should be a great weekend.

Better then the first time I went when it was nearly 40 degrees for the whole weekend. That was a killer.

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Oh it heats up after Christmas, never fear

Don't worry Ill be back on to complain about the heat then ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Gonna be 38 here at the weekend. Can't wait! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Thermometer in my Merc said 35 at lunchtime, its cooled to a pleasent 31 now

Humidity aint that bad yet

Advertisement