Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai Presence at the Crescent SC

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

grenache wrote: »
    The lack of guards in the city is a joke.

Doesn't Limerick have the highest ratio of Gardai in the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

mike kelly wrote: »
    Doesn't Limerick have the highest ratio of Gardai in the country?

AFAIR - State Solicitor recently said the were 41 Traffic Corps Gardaí based under the flyovers of Limerick pointing speed cameras at Mammies leaving Tescos.

- The defence to this reprehensible and daft situation is that they will of course attend to other matters if requested etc. blah, blah, blah.

Fact it they are bleeding the taxpayer dry on a revenue generating Moron Mission & will NEVER be seen anywhere near the bad bend on a Country road where Mikey kills himself and 3 of his mates in a lime green Civic.....

Meanwhile if you ever need to call 999 I wouldn't bother - Check out this thread where Person after Person independently states that they simply do not show up to emergency calls :(

Its the Wild West Folks, arm your self and Pray to God Almighty - cause no one else is listening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

just in the crescent there, 2 guards patrolling :) delighted to see it
    apparently there is always a guard on when the P.O is giving out Social Welfare money also

Liam79 wrote: »
    apparently there is always a guard on when the P.O is giving out Social Welfare money also

Are the Gardaí claiming that too??????

- Not surprised really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

baza1976 wrote: »
    It ould be great to see a cop on the beat in Cresent all year round. Be handy over time for them !!

Good to see you back Liam after you thread last week regarding the support for the public service. Lets not mention that again;)

Still fighting the good fight on the politics forum mate :) dont know what i believe in anymore on that issue to be honest Baza.....
    I just hate people tarring all PS with the same brush you know. But i am exasberated with it at this stage. Herself is now of the opinion "let what happens happen" she doesnt have the stomach for it anymore in light if recent hardships you know. I just fear the lowest paid will be hardest hit
    anyways..........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

Liam79 wrote: »

Would it get that rough out at the post office in the cresent??:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

Was in Boots on William Street yesterday while two scobes were getting nabbed by Boots' security for lifting half the shop. These two were no more than late teens and were literally trying to leg it out from behind the door where THREE security guys had them wedged, whilst waiting for the Feds to arrive. I mean, how long does it take to get from Henry St over to William St? Hilarious and appalling in equal measures :)

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Was in Boots on William Street yesterday while two scobes were getting nabbed by Boots' security for lifting half the shop. These two were no more than late teens and were literally trying to leg it out from behind the door where THREE security guys had them wedged, whilst waiting for the Feds to arrive. I mean, how long does it take to get from Henry St over to William St? Hilarious and appalling in equal measures :)

Jesus they will be a long time waiting for Feds to arrive!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Would it get that rough out at the post office in the cresent??:eek:

Yes it's bedlam out there. You really are taking your life in your hands any time you go shopping or to the cinema there.

That's what you want to hear isn't it?

Jesus they will be a long time waiting for Feds to arrive!

I think we both know I didn't use that term literally :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭mormank

I work in the Crescent every day and also shop there and I have to say that there's a lot of drama queens in this thread :rolleyes:

We hardly get any scobes in to our store apart from the odd itinerant. A relative of mine is a member of the traders association there and goes to regular meetings, violence in the crescent is minimal apart from the odd incident once in a while. There are almost zero scobes in the Crescent from Monday to Friday. Friday late nights, Saturdays and Sundays do attract a lot of young ones and itinerants but it is the busiest time of the week. The worst feature of the Crescent is the Omniplex and I'd have it knocked tomorrow morning if I had the chance as it's a scobe magnet.

Having been to the city centre the last few weekends I'd take the Crescent any day of the week. The city centre is scobe central, not to mention the beggers every 500 yards. You do get the odd abusive scobe in the Crescent, I see it happening in other stores and I'm sure there are plenty of staff/customer clashes on a regular basis but what else do you expect in a city full of scumbags? This is the city we live in and these are the vermin we're forced to live alongside.

hmm omniplex is a scobe magnet eh??? well in that case i would be all for knocking it down, but we should wait for the next fast and the furious movie and then lock the doors and do it a la inglorious bast%rds!

you would swear that we plants little garda seeds and grow guards! you people do realise that guards are just regular folk in fancy uniforms with sticks right?? everyone here moaning should join the guards and see how well ye do ye're thankless jobs!! plus ye have to remember that the scobes play by different rules to the rest of us.

mormank wrote: »
    you people do realise that guards are just regular folk in fancy uniforms with sticks right?? everyone here moaning should join the guards and see how well ye do ye're thankless jobs!! plus ye have to remember that the scobes play by different rules to the rest of us.

Really? The Gardai are just regular people? Thanks for enlightening us..
    If what you're really implying is that the Gardai are bound by shambolic legislation, then I totally agree as the judicial system in this country is an utter farce.

However, the other side of that coin is what allows Gardai to sit in stations playing pool and scoffing pizza for the night. And as someone with 2 family members, 2 friends and 4 acquaintances who are guards, I have been told first hand of the crap that goes on beyond the realm of the public domain.

Any other member of this society in paid employment is expected to earn their wage and fulfill specific duties, which is a great deal more that can be said for many members of the Gardai.

Furthermore, the selection process (which I have first hand experience of) is so incredibly basic that anyone with a head for a hat and the ability to jog between cones is eligible -do you really think this is a suitable way for the primary law enforcers of the state to be selected?

Finally, the 'scobes' play by different rules because the Gardai and Bunreacht na hEireann allow them to -and if that doesn't warrant people's disapproval I don't know what does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Niamh_

I also know many guards and the ones I know do the best they can.
    It is a hard job, and especially in the larger cities, dangerous too. There is no superman to do their job for them. They cannot be at two places at once. They don't have enough to cope with the demand, and no matter how many places they are, criminals will always find a way.
    I'm not saying that all gardai aren't lazy, I'm sure there are a few. I have met some ignorant guards in my time, as with any other profession. I'm just pointing to my own experience. And that is that the majority are hard working individuals.
    One of the main problems with crime in this society is the lack of respect for guards in my opinion. Again I'm just speaking from my own experience.

Niamh_ wrote: »
    One of the main problems with crime in this society is the lack of respect for guards

And respect is earned. My point is that the majority of guards barely care enough to earn their salary, never mind respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Yes it's bedlam out there. You really are taking your life in your hands any time you go shopping or to the cinema there.

That's what you want to hear isn't it?

Itadacraic you seem to have a problem with my posts because uve always very smart back to me,i dont mind a debate but if its just dumb remarks please dont bother thanks:)

Well if theres a guard at a small post office on social welfare day what would that suggest to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Itadacraic you seem to have a problem with my posts because uve always very smart back to me,i dont mind a debate but if its just dumb remarks please dont bother thanks:)

Well if theres a guard at a small post office on social welfare day what would that suggest to you?

To answer the second part of your post.

The reason there is a Garda at some Post Office sub branches and not at others is down to the amount of physical cash held at that sub branch.

The Crescent sub branch holds more cash than the Clontarf Place branch (I know it is on O'Connel Avenue, but don't know it's new name if it has one) for example, so it gets a Garda and the other one does not.

Same way that at certain times of the year you will get a Garda at the sub branch in the Spar in Castletroy.

The Garda is there to deter those who might think to rob the post office, not because the post office is very rough.

And respect is earned. My point is that the majority of guards barely care enough to earn their salary, never mind respect.

Today is December 5th 2009 - I guarantee you all that the Gardaí will not continue on for too much longer in their present mode of operation without being hit by some scandal that exposes their festering, lazy, incompetent, self-serving, bloated, crime-avoiding, guilty, over-funded, politically-puppeteered, Scumbag, rotten core.

- I sincerely hope that someone from within their ranks possesses the strength of Character and decency to step out of the foul ranks and blow the whistle on the utter criminals in Blue.

P.S. I do accept that a great many Members of An Garda Siochana joined in out of decency and sincerity and do perform to the best of their abilities under dangerous circumstances made ten-fold more dangerous through having Colleagues who are a worthless drain on Society - You do have my sincere respect, I offer my condolences and wish only the very best of luck to you all......

Really? The Gardai are just regular people? Thanks for enlightening us..
    If what you're really implying is that the Gardai are bound by shambolic legislation, then I totally agree as the judicial system in this country is an utter farce.

However, the other side of that coin is what allows Gardai to sit in stations playing pool and scoffing pizza for the night. And as someone with 2 family members, 2 friends and 4 acquaintances who are guards, I have been told first hand of the crap that goes on beyond the realm of the public domain.

Any other member of this society in paid employment is expected to earn their wage and fulfill specific duties, which is a great deal more that can be said for many members of the Gardai.

Furthermore, the selection process (which I have first hand experience of) is so incredibly basic that anyone with a head for a hat and the ability to jog between cones is eligible -do you really think this is a suitable way for the primary law enforcers of the state to be selected?

Finally, the 'scobes' play by different rules because the Gardai and Bunreacht na hEireann allow them to -and if that doesn't warrant people's disapproval I don't know what does.

i also have family members that are guards and several aquaintances and yes of course the judicial system is a joke. im not saying it is right or wrong or whatever but how many times whould you do the same thing in your job and to no avail before you just lost the passion for it. the example in this case being arresting people for crimes that they should be off the streets for only to have the same people walk free while giving you the finger and laughing at you!

of course there are many lazy guards or those who abuse their power. but honestly do ya reckon guards would just sit around playing cards and eating pizza if there was proper organisation in place? they need leadership just like most people do in most jobs or careers.

anyway all im saying is its a very tough job that i for one feel doesnt come with the credit or respect that it deserves. perhaps this is a problem with our society becoming increasingly dellusional as a whole, something which i think is patucularly rampant in limerick of all places which can often be seen to come through on these very boards....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I've heard stories about a couple of Limerick gardai that just makes me shake my head in disgust.....so if some night, I get a puncture in the dark and I'm set upon by a group of thugs, its really reassuring to know that they're going to house parties, copping off with women and taking drugs WHILE THEY'RE ON DUTY....****ING bastards they have no respect off me.

Obviously not all the gardai are doing this, but its disgraceful nonetheless.

• Advertisement
Advertisement