Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of house sharing in Dublin - advice?

Options
  • 30-11-2009 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

I'm living in Drogheda in an apartment which I bought (at the height of the boom :(). I commute to Dublin for work. The long commute is starting to really bother me and I'd love to live closer to work. I like the idea of living in Dublin too, it's a great city and there's so much more to do. I have friends in Dublin and I'd have a much better social life if I moved. So I'm thinking of renting out my own apartment and renting a room in a house in Dublin.

Just weighing up the pros and cons at the moment. Potential rental income from my place (500-550 euro) would cover a decent sized room in a house in a nice area in Dublin. But I know if I house share I'll probably be kept awake sometimes (I'm a very light sleeper), my food might be robbed, less privacy, possible psycho housemates! I know I'll have the double worry about things not working out in Dublin, and tenants in my own apartment possibly making trouble.

Just wondering should I make the move? Would you? And would anyone have any advice regarding house sharing as I've never done it before? I'm sure there are plenty of cautionary tales out there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

This is all from my own experience:

1. Don't share with more than three people. Once the house population gets past four, it becomes less likely that everyone will get on.
    2. Agree how bills get paid, dishes washed, etc.
    3. I know that this is slightly difficult these days, but the house will be much friendlier if there's just one TV in the living room. If everyone has their own TV, people retreat to their own rooms.
    4. Have at least one bird living there; she'll make the lads clean up.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

Thanks Monkeypants. Was thinking same regarding number of people. It would be ideal if I could share with just 2 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭niamh4626

I moved into an apartment 6 months ago and i'm sharing with a teacher who is great, never any problem with cleaning etc AND she goes home every weekend too which is great!!! :D

Advertisement