Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

United Away - League Cup QF

Options
  • 30-11-2009 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭

I personally would love to see us play a full strength side, and go there and give it a real go. Assuming they play a weakened team, this is a great chance to get to the semis again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭ohnoigotsick

i'd go with a decent team for us , resting defoe and lennon perhaps

gomes
    --hutton dawson bassong bale--
    bentley jenas wilson kranjcar/rose
    pav/crouch keane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

Hatch99 wrote: »
    I personally would love to see us play a full strength side, and go there and give it a real go. Assuming they play a weakened team, this is a great chance to get to the semis again.

agree. sky saying they are playing a weakened team so we should go for it. shuffle the starting 11 but keep the same squad of18 we had at Villa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

pav wont get a look in at this same i would say

gomes
    hutton dawson bassong ekotto

bentley jenas pal kranjcar

defoe keane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

I'm a United fan, and i'd almost like to see Spurs go through and Rally for the Cup, I can see another fielding of the team that lost to besiktas for United..

pav wasnt even on the bench on sat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

As far as silverware goes, this competition is probably our best chance and therefore we should play our strongest team for this one.

The likes of Man U, Chelsea etc might feel that they can afford to play weakened teams but we're not yet at that stage.

COYS

guys we have played a weakened team in every round so far. not once has our best 11 been picked

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Yes but its been poor opposition bar Everton, and that was at home !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

i'd go with a decent team for us , resting defoe and lennon perhaps

gomes
    --hutton dawson bassong bale--
    bentley jenas wilson kranjcar/rose
    pav/crouch keane

Kranjcar is cup-tied actually isnt he?

he is actually

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭ohnoigotsick

Kranjcar is cup-tied actually isnt he?

thats right.

dos santos is still injured i'm assuming

Provisional squad: Gomes, Dawson, Assou-Ekotto, Corluka, Bassong, Huddlestone, Lennon, Keane, Palacios, Jenas, Crouch, Defoe, Alnwick, Hutton, Bentley, Bale, Rose, Pavlyuchenko, Naughton.

better news about modric

"Meanwhile, Luka continues on his road to recovery. "He trained with the youngsters this morning (Monday)," reported Harry. "He played in an eight-a-side game, I watched some of it and he looked to be moving much, much better, so hopefully he's on his way back, but we want to make sure he's right.""

mickman wrote: »
    Provisional squad: Gomes, Dawson, Assou-Ekotto, Corluka, Bassong, Huddlestone, Lennon, Keane, Palacios, Jenas, Crouch, Defoe, Alnwick, Hutton, Bentley, Bale, Rose, Pavlyuchenko, Naughton.

I'd love to see Naughton in there at right back or even right wing
    Agree with redknapp don't rush modric back let him recover instead of breaking him for another few months by rushing him back early

to be honest 4th in the league is ten times more important than the league cup but united are the only team that we havent been in years (league, cup etc) so a victory would increase the confidence even more i would imagine.

From the official club site.........

Team News 30 November 2009

Jonathan Woodgate and Ledley King remain out for Tuesday night's Carling Cup tie at Manchester United.
    'Woody' missed Saturday's 1-1 draw at Villa with a groin problem while Ledley is recovering from a hamstring injury sustained against Sunderland.

Harry Redknapp confirmed Saturday's central defensive pairing at Villa - Michael Dawson and Sebastien Bassong - will start again at Old Trafford.

Luka Modric (fractured fibula) and Carlo Cudicini (wrist, pelvis) remain out while Niko Kranjcar is cup-tied having played in the second round of the competition for Portsmouth.

Harry also confirmed that Robbie Keane will start and eluded to making a few changes - as has been the case in the Carling Cup so far this season.

"We've players who need matches - the likes of Alan Hutton, Gareth Bale, Jermaine Jenas and Robbie Keane - so we'll change a few around and freshen things up a bit," said Harry. "The good thing is we've plenty of options."

Meanwhile, Luka continues on his road to recovery. "He trained with the youngsters this morning (Monday)," reported Harry. "He played in an eight-a-side game, I watched some of it and he looked to be moving much, much better, so hopefully he's on his way back, but we want to make sure he's right."

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/articles/teamnews301109.html

Looks like Harry will be making changes then.

Heard there that Gio is back in training i'd love to see him get a run out he's only shown glimpses of his talent so far but I still think he could be unreal

So most likely Gomes Hutton BAE Daws Bassong Lennon Palacios Jenas Bale Keane and Defoe ?

bentley instead of lennon i would imagine

dos santos now in squad, not back from injury yet

• Advertisement

bentley instead of lennon i would imagine

Even though Harry reckons Bentley needs a game,Id play Lennon, his pace on such a big pitch could murder Utd.

yeah but he wants to give bentley a game so it will be bently id sa

We'll see Mick. My god, your sharp with the aul replies :D

sitting at my desk at work so forum access all day :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭StillRickyVilla

to be honest 4th in the league is ten times more important than the league cup but united are the only team that we havent been in years (league, cup etc) so a victory would increase the confidence even more i would imagine.
    +1.
    Finishing 4th is HUNDRED times more important than the league cup. Finishing 4th would transform us as a club & would be a pivotal moment in our history.

The league cup would be nice to get, but it doesn't really mean anything anymore, unfortunately.

I hope Harry plays the reserves/youth team and we lose.Lets concentrate on what really matters these days.

Look at the bigger picture people.

p.s don't get me wrong, i'm fond of the competition & have great memories like Nielssons winner - i just feel football has moved on making this cup pretty much meaningless now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

+1.
    Finishing 4th is HUNDRED times more important than the league cup. Finishing 4th would transform us as a club & would be a pivotal moment in our history.

The league cup would be nice to get, but it doesn't really mean anything anymore, unfortunately.

I hope Harry plays the reserves/youth team and we lose.Lets concentrate on what really matters these days.

Look at the bigger picture people.

p.s don't get me wrong, i'm fond of the competition & have great memories like Nielssons winner - i just feel football has moved on making this cup pretty much meaningless now.

looking at the big picture would mean winning as many games as we can in all competitions.

Btw are they giving cups out for coming 4th now?;)

yiddo wrote: »
    looking at the big picture would mean winning as many games as we can in all competitions.

Btw are they giving cups out for coming 4th now?;)
    4th means Champions League qualification along with the money, the ability to attract Top Top players - and yes, with that comes cups, proper cups like the PL title, CL and FA Cup.

IMO i would rather put all our resources into the above - instead of getting tired and injured playing meaningless fixtures.

None of the top clubs care about the Carling Cup and infact its a source of great amusement to our rivals' fans when we celebrate success in it.

+1.

The team finishing 4th would also have to play qualifiers to reach the league stage. Not sure if I'm correct but I believe the draw would be seeded. Taking into account our lack of european competition, I suspect we would probably be drawn against a potentially big european side with champions league pedigree and therefore a very tricky hurdle to overcome.

Of course, this is all theory and therefore maybe we should discuss it in more detail IF we finish 4th.

Whether we do or not finish top four is a long way off, so in the meantime I'd happily take success in the League Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

4th means Champions League qualification along with the money, the ability to attract Top Top players - and yes, with that comes cups, proper cups like the PL title, CL and FA Cup.

Or 4th means qualifying for the CL play-off qualifying round, where we'd come up against other non-champion sides. This seasons included:

Lyon
    Anderlecht
    Celtic
    Timisoara
    Stuttgart
    Sporting
    Fiorentina
    Panathinaikos
    Atletico Madrid

Of those clubs Lyon are definitely ahead of us on coefficients, and both Sporting and Fiorentina should overtake us by the end of this season. There is no guarantee we would be seeded in that qualifying round, and could conceivably come up against a decent side. I'd love us to qualify for the CL, but as Pat pointed out, there's no trophy for 4th place.

Ironically one of the benefits of qualifying and winning games in the Europa League would be to help us achieve a higher seeding in the CL should we ever qualify.

• Advertisement

When the clubs themselves take this cup seriously then I might!

Advertisement