Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salary change between offer and contract

Options
  • 30-11-2009 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I accepted a job offer at a certain salary (accepted by phone). Handed in my notice. Before I received contract, got a phone call to say that the company was making 10% paycuts. So my contract now has the salary as 10% less than that agreed to in the phone call.

I accept that if everyone is taking the cut then I will also - that's not the issue. However my contract already has the 10% built-in as my official salary. Whereas current employees will have their normal salary and then receive a letter saying they are taking a cut.

They will not send me an official letter to say I have taken a cut. I would like to have this. I do not know for sure if other employees have even taken a cut! Could they be pulling a fast one on me? Obviously I have to take the job because I have already left my other job, and they know this also. Does anyone know where they stand legally on this, should I have a confirmation that I have received a cut?

Also can anyone foresee any issues with this in general. I have to assume they're an ethical company but I do not like the way this has all been handled and also they're roadblocking me on the confirmation letter to say I have taken a cut.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Moral of the story - until you have a signed contract you have nothing, don't hand in your notice before this is signed. You've put yourself in a poor negotiating position (as you know yourself).

You didn't take a 10% cut on your salary, the offer letter will state that your salary is 10% less than you assumed they would offer you. They have no obligations to separately notify you of any paycuts because you aren't an employee of theirs. If it was me I wouldn't push this.

Advertisement