Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic ask for extra cup place

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,595 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Completely cringeworthy. Give it up lads.

No doubt this will spark another 20 or so Facebook groups demanding the extra place :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

How would this be expected to work? Roy will no doubt have something to say again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

how embarrasing?

We never qualified for it, maybe for a peno shootout if the handball was given.

FAI are complete morons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

This is getting embarassing. Delany and the FAI did the right thing in kicking up a fuss initially but it's time to let it go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Time to crawl into a hole me thinks this is terrible, talk about OTT

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

prendy wrote: »

FAI are complete morons.
    As are FIFA. Stupid is as stupid does, let 'em at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Oh jaysus give it a rest lads. It's over, get on with it.

It's not going to happen, only the FAI and Irish people who still support this are going to look a laughing stock:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

did the Sunday World woman go to Blatter's house this time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭token56

This is really cringeworthy. As much as I would like us to be there, its over and this is certainly not the way to get through. Would people really be happy to get to the world cup in this way?

It is also worrying that its being reported in most places as "Ireland requests", not "FAI requests"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

I would be embarressed about politicians spouted shíte, when they probably don't even watch or understand soccer.

I'm not embarressed by our football association doing all they can to overturn an unfair decision, match, seeding....well the whole situation really. It smelled a bit funny before the game and stunk the place up afterwards.

If you look at the way the whole thing panned out, it seems we were stitched up, from the start.

If I were a cynic (which I am), I could say the officials were encouraged to play it fair for as long as possible (so as not to arouse suspicion), and if looks like the undesirable team could cause an upset, then go to Operation Big Team.

But anyway, it's not gonna happen.

fingers crossed it does

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

Terrible and cringworthy it may be, but I'll be fecking delighted if any of these efforts pay off and we get to be there!!

People won't be too outspoken then methinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Corcs001

Maybe they will let two teams go to the world cup. That way Russia can go too. Fifa can only benefit from this. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

**** sake. Laughing stock aren't the words for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Meh.. if it works, brilliant.

I'd prefer a replay though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

This is getting embarassing. Delany and the FAI did the right thing in kicking up a fuss initially but it's time to let it go.
    Couldn't agree more. I was angry like most of the country but it happened. Time for us to move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Says they'd have to let Costa Rica go to cause they lost to Uraguay by an offside goal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

It was embarrassing a long time ago in my view.

Sure, it was an injustice, but there's such a thing as grace in defeat, however unjustified that defeat might have been.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

They should just put us in the final and give us a two goal lead and let the other 32 teams sort out amongst themselves who gets the honour to take the field with us in the final.:D

The whole incident has devalued football especially in Ireland but it is time to let it go.

Technology should be brought in for incidents like this where the game would have been stopped naturally enabling a TMO to have a look and to allow the ref to make the right decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    How would this be expected to work?

Not complicated at all.
    A 9th group with the 'hard-done by' teams, Ireland, Costa Rica, Russia (?), Egypt(?) runs in conjunction with the World Cup.

Only the winners of this group progress.
    They qualify for a one-off game against the worst of the runners up in the main 8 groups. Winner of this game is in the last 16 and competition continues as normal.

The 3 teams who fail to progress do not share in any of the TV money, other moneys etc.

Anyone have Sepps email?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

FFS

• Advertisement

oxo-beef-cubes_3.jpg Beef Stock

oxocubes.JPG Chicken Stock

FAI.png Laughing Stock

'Oh no's I'm embarressed, what will people think of us'.

You know what? Who cares.

If we go to SA, I'll be proud that we actually showed our fabled fighting spirit, and got our own way for once.....instead of the usual moan a bit but ultimately do nothing.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Oh god. We are actually more of an embarrassment than Henry now. Well done us.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭DEVEREUX

of for f**k sake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Grievance is now embarrassment.

KungPao wrote: »

If we go to SA, I'll be proud that we actually showed our fabled fighting spirit, and got our own way for once.....instead of the usual moan a bit but ultimately do nothing.....

LOL

We fought them on the radio shows.
    We fought them with appeals
    We fought them with a 40 person march on the French embassy
    WE FOUGHT THEM ON FACEBOOK!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The FAI should concentrate on making sure the LOI is in proper order for next season than continuing this campaign when FIFA have already told them no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

KungPao wrote: »

lots of people care. this was a joke to begin with, now its a complete farce.

IF we get to SA. we lost. we are not going. boo hoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

I can't say that I am embarrassed by this. I think people are over reacting a little. The FAI requested this a while ago, informally. Blatter has brought this up.

So the argument 'Get over it lads' falls a little flat. Not that it is a particualry good argument in the first place. Maybe people need to 'Get over' the FAI requesting a play off.

• Advertisement

KevIRL wrote: »
    LOL

We fought them on the radio shows.
    We fought them with appeals
    We fought them with a 40 person march on the French embassy
    WE FOUGHT THEM ON FACEBOOK!!!

:)

I meant in a general sense.

Not the wallys walking to an embassy, shouting a few things.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Facebook groups work obv.

Embarassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

the FAI have released a statement saying that at an hour and a half long meeting with Blatter in Zurich on friday, they "at one stage the FAI asked if Ireland could be accommodated into the World Cup 2010"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

/Facepalm!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

In what way will Ireland have actually earnt a place at next years World Cup??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Oul John must really want that holiday to South Africa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

This all boils down to money.

It seems clear that FIFA are going to do something to prevent recurrences such as this . Maybe having extra goal line officials or they may even allow video replays. But they realise that this situation will not happen again, so in a way, any decision they take now cannot be taken as a precedent.

Yes, I'm all for Ireland getting to the World Cup. We have more right to be there than France who should have been disqualified for cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

god this is embarrasing.

& Leeside, we don't have any right to be there more than France, even when Henry handled the ball, we were not going through at that point it was still tied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    I can't say that I am embarrassed by this. I think people are over reacting a little. The FAI requested this a while ago, informally. Blatter has brought this up.

So the argument 'Get over it lads' falls a little flat. Not that it is a particualry good argument in the first place. Maybe people need to 'Get over' the FAI requesting a play off.

The're not requesting a play-off though, that might be in some way reasonable.

They are now begging to be left into the world cup.That is embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

The sunday world shenanigans was far more cringeworthy than this. This doesnt embarass me in the slightest, if the fai did nothing and rolled over to get their belly scratched id be more embarassed.

'You dont ask, you dont get'.

Liverpool didnt qualify for the cl in '06, but we played in it........who knows what the muppets at fifa could do next.

Never gonna happen. Would love to go back to SA though, was there for a few months.

Beer - 30cent
    Cigarettes (20) - 1 euro
    4 Course meal for 2 people at one of the best restaurants on the indian ocean 10 euro.

:D:D

Leeside wrote: »
    This all boils down to money.

It seems clear that FIFA are going to do something to prevent recurrences such as this . Maybe having extra goal line officials or they may even allow video replays. But they realise that this situation will not happen again, so in a way, any decision they take now cannot be taken as a precedent.

We have more right to be there than France who should have been disqualified for cheating.

No we don't,and no they shouldn't have.

• Advertisement

daithijjj wrote: »

Never gonna happen. Would love to go back to SA though, was there for a few months.

Beer - 30cent
    Cigarettes (20) - 1 euro
    4 Course meal for 2 people at one of the best restaurants on the indian ocean 10 euro.

Go anyway, the World cup is still going ahead.

daithijjj wrote: »

Beer - 30cent
    Cigarettes (20) - 1 euro

....Record crimerates..............priceless.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

The're not requesting a play-off though, that might be in some way reasonable.

They are now begging to be left into the world cup.That is embarrassing.

Now? This request was not made today. It was at an undiscolsed time in since the France match. Most likely the weekend afterwards. It also appears to have been an informal request.

The FAI are chancing thier arm. I can't see the harm.

KevIRL wrote: »
    Go anyway, the World cup is still going ahead.

South africa is incredible, believe me, but i would have to go as a group this time, would be tough finding folk to tag along.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

Mr Alan wrote: »
    & Leeside, we don't have any right to be there more than France, even when Henry handled the ball, we were not going through at that point it was still tied.

I'm basing my view on the fair play code which says "Fair play always has its reward, even when the game is lost"

We played fairly so maybe this could be our reward.

Of course it also states "cheating only brings shame." That is why we deserve to be there more than France. I know all the arguments about why we should now move on but FIFA are putting hugh emphasis on the Fair Play code and they can't move on without sorting this out.

....Record crimerates..............priceless.:)

lol, indeed. We were in umschlanga, about 20 mins north of durban (posh for SA) the night cops rode around on golf buggies :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Will we be in a group on our own? How will we get out of it if there's no one to play? :(

FAI=shame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

jesus-facepalm-facepalm-jesus-epic-demotivational-poster-1218659828.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

this is my favourite bit;
    they have asked, very humbly 'can't we be team No.33 at the World Cup? They have asked for that, really.

From the second line, he's obviously not taking it very seriously anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

i`d love it we got there via this route, i doubt all the Cynicism would remain in this thread if we do

i dont feel embarassed what so ever, gona be last proper chance to make a world cup for the foreseeable future

• Advertisement
Advertisement