Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic ask for extra cup place

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Mr Alan wrote: »
    my point was France were better in the first match.

we were better in the second match.

yet you come up with we outplayed them over both?! :confused:

Eh? Right, thats the same way George Bush got elected first time round isn't it?

Good one Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭TheJesusWarrant

we went from the whole world feeling sorry for us to a laughing stock.
    well done FAIL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Who gives a toss what blatter says. The man and his organisation are a joke. Hes just a politician and a corrupting little weasel of a politician at that. He wouldnt know fair play if it bit him on the arse.

The FAI have the right idea. Its like buying a car. Offer the lowest amount of money acceptable and work up from there. They wont get the 33rd place, but by talking about something like this, there may be some genuine reform and some real benefits from this whole fiasco. Im pretty certain if they had taken this lying down, then absolutely nothing would change. Henry would be banging them in the SA next summer and in a couple of years time another unfortunate team would be the victims of a catastrophic refereeing decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Blatter today admitted for the first time the World Cup play-off system must be examined as a result of Henry's handball and the controversy which surrounded the match.

But he ruled out the Republic being added to South Africa 2010 as team 33.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1130/ireland_blatters.html

Can we leave this sleeping dog lie now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Mr Alan wrote: »
    we didn't outplay France in Croke Park.
    In the first half we did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Thats the worst idea in the history of football. Theres so many things wrong with it I dont know where to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

BaZmO* wrote: »
    In the first half we did.

yeah, but unfortunately games go on for 90 minutes, not 45

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭briany

Ireland gave it hell for leather in the first half at Croke Park but it didn't really seem to faze France too much in my opinion.

Liam O wrote: »
    yeah, but unfortunately games go on for 90 minutes, not 45
    Or in this case 210 minutes.

Read my original reply in context.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Agricola wrote: »
    They wont get the 33rd place, but by talking about something like this, there may be some genuine reform and some real benefits from this whole fiasco.

Then why not ask for the actual reform? Propose a video official, ask for a trial to be run, badger FIFA about that.

Don't ask for a position that we do not deserve.

Otacon wrote: »
    Then why not ask for the actual reform? Propose a video official, ask for a trial to be run, badger FIFA about that.

We deserve it.

Do France deserve it?

Can you honestly say that if France go on to win the World Cup that it won't be somewhat tarnished?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

KungPao wrote: »
    If I were a cynic (which I am), I could say the officials were encouraged to play it fair for as long as possible (so as not to arouse suspicion), and if looks like the undesirable team could cause an upset, then go to Operation Big Team.[/COLOR]

Oh dear.

I watched the match. Can't see where you take this from. Refereeing was excellent but for 'the incident' and I believe them they didn't see it.

I mean in this day and age you just have to ignore players protests. Because professional players protest all the time. No matter what.

They just kicked the ball into touch and yet they raise an arm.
    Hardly a goal where someone isn't claiming offside or a shirtpull or something.

Let it go...

realcam wrote: »
    Oh dear.

I watched the match. Can't see where you take this from. Refereeing was excellent but for 'the incident' and I believe them they didn't see it.

I mean in this day and age you just have to ignore players protests. Because professional players protest all the time. No matter what.

They just kicked the ball into touch and yet they raise an arm.
    Hardly a goal where someone isn't claiming offside or a shirtpull or something.

Let it go...

Agreed, had no real complaints about the officiating bar the incident.

EDIT: Although I do feel what the manner of the Irish players' protests, especially Given's, would have made me suspicious if I were a Referee - something was clearly up. I certainly think it was above and beyond Terry and co surrounding the ref over a red card.

ziggy wrote: »

Logic>LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

noodler wrote: »
    We deserve it.

How exactly?
    If that goal wasn't counted we'd still only be drawing and then who knows?

Ush1 wrote: »
    How exactly?
    If that goal wasn't counted we'd still only be drawing and then who knows?

Logic: We were the better team and we were the one who didn't cheat to score the illegal goal. Now Fifa's qualfying procedures dictate that one of the two teams merited a World Cup place since there they had both got to the play-off stages.

Again, one of these teams was outplayed and then went through by virtue of the fact that they scored an illegal goal. Now since we have established already that one of the teams did deserve it, which one was it?

If you say France, then you are implying Ireland deserved not to go through because they hadn't been sneaky enough to cheat.

If you say Ireland didn't deserve it then you are saying France did.

• Advertisement

Logic: We were the better team and we were the one who didn't cheat to score the illegal goal. Now Fifa's qualfying procedures dictate that one of the two teams merited a World Cup place since there they had both got to the play-off stages.

Again, one of these teams was outplayed and then went through by virtue of the fact that they scored an illegal goal. Now since we have established already that one of the teams did deserve it, which one was it?

If you say France, then you are implying Ireland deserved not to go through because they hadn't been sneaky enough to cheat.

If you say Ireland didn't deserve it then you are saying France did.

Well you're basing logic on something subjective such as one team outplaying another. May be the case but it's irrelevant as the score was equal meaning no team had the true upper hand. Just because an illegal goal was scored doesn't make the losing side the deserved winner, its means they should be back on equal footing, nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

I've never been a fan of the FAI or John Delaney, but you know what? Fair play to them!! As Neil and others have said in this thread, f#ck what anyone else thinks of us, i'm much happier seeing us exhausting ALL possible avenues, rather than letting the elitest, arrogant FIFA bigwigs walk all over our country. And hey, if it speeds up video technology/extra officials for the World Cup, our protests will not have been in vain.

Honestly, if you're embarrassed because that absoloute clown Blatter is laughing at us, I feel sorry for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

Tellox wrote: »

We could but Blatter said: 'I will bring it to the attention of the executive committee but if we do that, we will also have to bring in Costa Rica.'

So its Blatter who is keeping this going. The chances must be very slim but its not dead yet.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Well you're basing logic on something subjective such as one team outplaying another. May be the case but it's irrelevant as the score was equal meaning no team had the true upper hand. Just because an illegal goal was scored doesn't make the losing side the deserved winner, its means they should be back on equal footing, nothing more.

That is fine, we deserved it as much as France then, who are going to the world cup - kind of hard to draw the conclusion that if they deserve to be there then we certainly do.

I think there is an overwhelming consensus that we were the better team overall.

And to whoever said two penalties. You are wrong. The Anelka one was a clear dive as written on the Fifa match report of all places whilst the Evra one was more contentious - I probably would have given that despite the theatrics.

That is fine, we deserved it as much as France then, who are going to the world cup - kind of hard to draw the conclusion that if they deserve to be there then we certainly do.

I think there is an overwhelming consensus that we were the better team overall.

And to whoever said two penalties. You are wrong. The Anelka one was a clear dive as written on the Fifa match report of all places whilst the Evra one was more contentious - I probably would have given that despite the theatrics.

I never said France deserve to be there, would be hard pushed to hear anybody say that but Ireland shouldn't get some "fast foward" to the finals as what we'd really be entitled to was some more extra time and perhaps penalties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Because as I said, the only way to get through to these people is by highlighting their failures in the most stark terms. That would be appearing to be so outraged by the incident that you ask for something unprecedented like a 33rd WC place. Then with the world media getting interested and the spotlight on FIFA something might happen.
    I honestly think if the FAI were to take the softly softly approach here their pleas would fall on deaf ears.

And anyway if it works, we get a place in the world cup - which we do deserve by the way, not France - since they cheated to get there. If there was any decency and actual sportsmanship in this "sport", France should be stripped of their place and it should be awarded to us. Thats not Irish bias talking. Its simple fair play. But of course top level football isnt a sport played on a level playing field. Its a billion euro business, where the rich get richer, rules are bent to accomodate them getting what they want, right up to the point of shrugging your shoulders at blatent cheating and everyone else can fúck right off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

We deserve it.
    BaZmO* wrote: »
    Do France deserve it?

Can you honestly say that if France go on to win the World Cup that it won't be somewhat tarnished?

France won one leg and drew the other. So yes, they deserve to go through.

As for the injustice of how it was achieved, yes, things should change to ensure it never happens again. Let the FAI ask for those changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Muff_Daddy wrote: »
    I've never been a fan of the FAI or John Delaney, but you know what? Fair play to them!! As Neil and others have said in this thread, f#ck what anyone else thinks of us, i'm much happier seeing us exhausting ALL possible avenues, rather than letting the elitest, arrogant FIFA bigwigs walk all over our country. And hey, if it speeds up video technology/extra officials for the World Cup, our protests will not have been in vain.

Honestly, if you're embarrassed because that absoloute clown Blatter is laughing at us, I feel sorry for you.
    Post of the f*kin thread!!
    So what if people are laughing at us! Its worth a try. You never know!! We probably had the worst luck and worst refereeing decision in the history of football, that is taking into consideration how big the match was and what was at stake. If England were in the same situation as us, and especially the better nations theyd try everything aswell. Were allowed to feel sorry for ourselves and beg. We were f\*king robbed that night. It does seem a bit desperate, but who cares, other countrys are going to quickly forget after the world cup about Irelands appeals. And for anybody who sais "Ireland never took their chances to score", "Ireland didnt deserve it" or France would of won anyway, thats not the point, the goal given couldnt be more obvious that it shouldnt of been given, 2 offsides!! 2 handballs!!! Who knows maybe France would of went on to win, or maybe Ireland got a last minute winner or won on penaltys. Its besides the point. F*ck Roy Keane. His rant was an opportunity to have a pop at Ireland and the FAI. The c*nt loves the sound of his own voice.
    I think we should try everything possible. I dont think its embarassing at all. Henry should be more embarassed. Im pissed off at people on here saying its embarassing and slating the FAI, thats what most of the thread is, LOI fans who hate John Delaney and the FAI having an opportunity to post FAIL:rolleyes: and LOL at the organsiation.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

We're not going to be the 33rd team.

BUT

We could conceivably be the 32nd if Chile get kicked out (see here). Very very unlikely, but still.
    That's already been dealt with. The offending club backed down the next day after FIFA's threat. Would've been a shame not to see Chile at the WC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

The FAI should use every avenue available to pursue Ireland's involvement in the World Cup.

FIFA keep pushing this Fair Play thing but when it comes down to it they don't have the balls to live up to it.

All this whole thing has done is show kids that it's okay to cheat at the highest level of the game. I'm now sure plenty of them will try this type of thing in there own games, not just in Ireland but all around the world.

FAIR PLAY FIFA, you just sent out a great message to all people playing the game, cheat and you will get away with it.

I'm not saying Ireland should automatically get a place in the world cup but a replay should have been a defo!!

Let's not forget that if a replay had been given then France would still have there advantage from the 1st leg from which they were a goal up!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

So if we get into the World Cup does that mean that everyone else who got knocked out will be allowed a place?

What are the FAI thinking? An absolute joke. Fair enough, try and get a replay but this is just ridiculous.

Disillusioned.

I can actually imagine John Delaney on his knees begging Sepp Blatter for a place in the WC.

If anyone asks, I'm not Irish for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Personally, I'm only agrieved at one thing, and that's that there was extra time in the first place. I don't see how this rule is still in place. Ireland had an extra half an hour to score an away goal and in my opinion that wasn't fair. There should have been penalties immediately.

This whole process now is akin to dragging out the life of a poor sick dog. Put him down for Christ's sake, he's not going to be making a recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

GerCPM wrote: »
    Im pissed off at people on here saying its embarassing and slating the FAI, thats what most of the thread is, LOI fans who hate John Delaney and the FAI having an opportunity to post FAIL:rolleyes: and LOL at the organsiation.:mad:

Gospel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

embarrasing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

It's time to take the legal route.

If that fat sh*tebag Sepp Blatter wants a good laugh at his next press conference then John Delaney should deliver him with a metaphorical kick in the bollocks that is so hard he'll be crying for a month.

A potential loss of earnings case would be a good place to start. Take it from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,517 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Sounds outlandish to be honest.
    If we get a special dispensation and end up in the World Cup I'll forget about any potential embarrassment.
    If you don't ask you won't recieve.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭briany

I see the Evening Herald is running as it's front page, "WORLD CUP HOPE". Now as much as I like the idea I cannot help but feel they are trying to sell papers based on a fanciful pretext.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

KevIRL wrote: »
    Completely cringeworthy. Give it up lads.

No doubt this will spark another 20 or so Facebook groups demanding the extra place :rolleyes:
    Theres no way that post would be worth thanking in a million years.

Just seen this embarressment on SSN.

We are laughing stock with that request.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Replay the game, failing that give Georgia the 3 points, as they would have held on otherwise.

Farcical carry on. Even more farcical is the support for this idea. I'm baffled and embarrassed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,517 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

A 9th group with the 'hard-done by' teams, Ireland (handball), Costa Rica(offside), Russia (dubious sendings off), Egypt(?) runs in conjunction with the World Cup.

Only the winners of this group progress.
    They qualify for a one-off game against the worst of the runners up in the main 8 groups. Winner of this game is in the last 16 and competition continues as normal.

The 3 teams who fail to progress do not share in any of the TV money, other moneys etc.

Anyone have Sepps email?

Been thinking about this all afternoon and I see more and more advantages with it.

FIFA get to be the good guys after recent negative pulicity.
    The sponsors get their big emerging Russian market back.
    The South Africans get 4 extra sets of fans spending money in their country.
    The 7 extra games generate more TV revenue.
    The existing TV/Sponsorship money for the other countries doesn't get diluted so they can't complain.

I'm going to email JD with this, does anyone have a better address than info@fai.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I just saw the interview by blatter

the man is really unbelievable

I really have alot of hate for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Supermanscat

Töpher wrote: »

Replay the game, failing that give Georgia the 3 points, as they would have held on otherwise.

Farcical carry on. Even more farcical is the support for this idea. I'm baffled and embarrassed.

At least the ref seemed to consult the linesman there as opposed to Paris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Love it to happen but doubt it will. It would mess up world cup tournament structure...

Bit embarrassing but wouldn't complain if it worked out...

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

I can't see why anyone should be embarrassed but I'd take embarrassment ahead of being ashamed like the French anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Leeside wrote: »
    I can't see why anyone should be embarrassed but I'd take embarrassment ahead of being ashamed like the French anytime.

Can you imagine the reaction here if it was England who were asking for the extra place.

We should let it go as a country now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

if you thinking the fai asking for the extra place was cringe you should see the piece on sky sports news where they went to o'connell street to interview the '''irish fans''' about it:o.

basically all they interviewed were yorkies and people that generally didnt have a clue about football and then they went to bono:eek: CRINGE

SKY SPORTS MAKING IRISH FANS OUT TO BE TITS SINCE 1993

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

GerCPM wrote: »
    We probably had the worst luck and worst refereeing decision in the history of football

Exaggerate much?

There are times when I am truly ashamed by the actions of my fellow countrymen, and this is definitely one of them.

Advertisement