Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic ask for extra cup place

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

At least the ref seemed to consult the linesman there as opposed to Paris.

Nor was it the direct result of cheating carried out by an Irish player...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

token56 wrote: »
    It is also worrying that its being reported in most places as "Ireland requests", not "FAI requests"

Maybe Stephen Ireland will get the blame. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Football Injustices

Including ourselves and Wales missing out on qualification for tournaments bsed on refs calls.

I demand reparations!

Arsenal killed our parrot by the way, I want that sorted as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭secman

Just heard Blatter on the radio referring to FAI requesting that we get a 33rd spot in South africa, he was then drowned out by laughter, FFS Delaney really is a twat, didn't hear him offering Sligo a replay in the FAI cup final after that very dodgy pen award to Fingal.

We are a laughing stock now, Thanks john

Secman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Football Injustices
    Arsenal killed our parrot by the way, I want that sorted as well.
    Shouldn't Arsenal be kicked out of the premier league for murdering our parrot?

(in reality)I have no idea what that means TRO????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Delighted with this. Good to see the FAI stand up for what the vast majority of football fans in this country want.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

[/SIZE](in reality)I have no idea what that means TRO????

We toured Argentina in 1908, on the trip back the ship's captain presented the ship's parrot to the team who lived another 10 years or so.

The day Arsenal were promoted to the 1st Division at our expense (despite the Football League expanding the league from 20 to 22 teams, we were relegated and Arsenal who finished 6th in the 2nd Division were promoted in our place, and ahead of the teams that finished 3rd-5th in their division) the parrot died.

I've never forgiven them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

We toured Argentina in 1908, on the trip back the ship's captain presented the ship's parrot to the team who lived another 10 years or so.

The day Arsenal were promoted to the 1st Division at our expense (despite the Football League expanding the league from 20 to 22 teams, we were relegated and Arsenal who finished 6th in the 2nd Division were promoted in our place, and ahead of the teams that finished 3rd-5th in their division) the parrot died.

I've never forgiven them.
    oh ya I remember that.......

(not the parrot reading about that promotion for them at our expense obviously;))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

Regardless of how many of you think Ireland look in all of this by requesting an extra place, the way in which it is been handled by FIFA is an absolute disgrace. Just think back to the night in question and how you felt when you seen the replays and then picture Blatter and those journalists laughing at us. How would you all have felt if Blatter did that press conference the day after the game and laughed then also? Don't lie now, you would been fuming and it would've put more fuel on the fire. Combine this with the fact that they've nothing with Henry and shatfed us with the initial draw then I don't see any reason we shouldn't hassle them 24/7.

I'm aware that we won't get any replay or an extra place but does that mean we just allow ourselves to be trampled on and do nothing. Fair play to Delaney for asking the questions.
    If I was head of the FAI and seen Blatter and co laughing at us then I most certainly wouldn't take it lying down. Its not hard to be show a little bit of respect. Despite the rare request by the FAI, it gives Blatter no right to laugh at it. I'm fuming after watching that press conference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

JokerD wrote: »
    Regardless of how many of you think Ireland look in all of this by requesting an extra place, the way in which it is been handled by FIFA is an absolute disgrace. Just think back to the night in question and how you felt when you seen the replays and then picture Blatter and those journalists laughing at us. How would you all have felt if Blatter did that press conference the day after the game and laughed then also? Don't lie now, you would been fuming and it would've put more fuel on the fire. Combine this with the fact that they've nothing with Henry and shatfed us with the initial draw then I don't see any reason we shouldn't hassle them 24/7.

I'm aware that we won't get any replay or an extra place but does that mean we just allow ourselves to be trampled on and do nothing. Fair play to Delaney for asking the questions.
    If I was head of the FAI and seen Blatter and co laughing at us then I most certainly wouldn't take it lying down. Its not hard to be show a little bit of respect. Despite the rare request by the FAI, it gives Blatter no right to laugh at it. I'm fuming after watching that press conference.
    The way Sepp and Co have treated us is disgusting. From the start of the campaign they have favored the more financially backed countries. They will make more money out of Portugal and France than they would have from Ireland or Slovakia... They always wanted France, Russia, Portugal and Greece there and only missed out on Russia!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Im rageing with the whole thing- but the thought of Delaney and the FAI asking to be the 33rd team in the competition is enough to make me pi55 my pants with laughter.
    FAI are idiots for asking such a daft request. IDIOTS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Im going into hibernation, cant face suppliers from England calling me and pissing themselves laughing down the phone. Anyone know any good shrinks. I will need one before this crap blows over.

Im just so embarrassed. FAI are muppets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

After the match i was fuming but did'nt expect a replay but was comforted by the knowledge that Henry would at the very least recieve a ban from the game for his obvious underhanded cheating. The fact that FIFA have'nt even called him to task on the matter has left me disgusted. I watched the press conference earlier and am still raging.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

damn, the chances of being a 33rd team at the world cup were so high too

Jackobyte wrote: »
    The way Sepp and Co have treated us is disgusting. From the start of the campaign they have favored the more financially backed countries. They will make more money out of Portugal and France than they would have from Ireland or Slovakia... They always wanted France, Russia, Portugal and Greece there and only missed out on Russia!

I know, I don't understand how any Irish fan could look at that press conference and say "leave it be". I believe the majority of fans were looking forward to the future when they heard that some of the issues would be addressed, so at least our voice was heard. But then for Blatter to come out with an almost smug look on his face and mock our attempts for a place, does he realise he is asking for trouble?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

To all the people slating the FAI for doing this, do you honestly think for one second if France had lost out to a dodgy goal that Platini and co would keep their mouths shut about it? Would they hell. We would see Blatter and his cronies trying to move heaven and earth to get them to the World Cup.

My personal view is that the dignified thing to do is to let the matter rest but all this tripe about being embarrassed to be Irish because of this...give it a rest please. :rolleyes:

Im rageing with the whole thing- but the thought of Delaney and the FAI asking to be the 33rd team in the competition is enough to make me pi55 my pants with laughter.
    FAI are idiots for asking such a daft request. IDIOTS.

With this unusual request the FAI have proved the true colours of FIFA and their belittling ways of smaller nations. I agree with you about there been no chance that it will be accepted though

Does everyone remember when Argentina were struggling to qualify and there was whispers that they could play Norway in a play-off match for a 33rd team? I would've loved to see how that would've unfolded if it became an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Well at least they are doing something, I don't see it changing anything but hey' got to ask I suppose, its not embarrassing.

Big country (pop 65,073,482) getting to a world cup by cheating against little old Ireland (pop 6,300,000) is embarrassing. Very Very embarrassing. I think anything the FAI can do to highlight it is great. Like FFS Blatter is suspect in a number of corruption allegations, why should we feel embarrassed about anything in relation to this..

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

This "Oh no, whatever will the neighbours think attitude that some people have is the saddest thing about this whole sorry mess. We have people afraid to pick up the phone because their English mates will laugh at them. I feel sorry for you if you feel like this, I really do.

Who cares what opposision fans, or what sycophants at FIFA think of us - fact is we were wronged, and are standing up for ourselves - to me, there is more pride to be taken from that than sitting on our hands and shrugging our shoulders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Muff_Daddy wrote: »
    This "Oh no, whatever will the neighbours think attitude that some people have is the saddest thing about this whole sorry mess. We have people afraid to pick up the phone because their English mates will laugh at them. I feel sorry for you if you feel like this, I really do.

Who cares what opposision fans, or what sycophants at FIFA think of us - fact is we were wronged, and are standing up for ourselves - to me, there is more pride to be taken from that than sitting on our hands and shrugging our shoulders.

I agree but be honest now if it was the English asking for a replay and an extra place in the world cup, people would be in hysterics.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    I agree but be honest now if it was the English asking for a replay and an extra place in the world cup, people would be in hysterics.

I tell ya who definitely wouldn't be in hysterics - FIFA

I tell ya who definitely wouldn't be in hysterics - FIFA

And their would be no replay or extra place in the competition for them

And their would be no replay or extra place in the competition for them

True but I'd say they'd get a bit more of a dignified response fron FIFA,

personally I wouldn't be in hysterics if it happened to England

Well I'm not English so of course I would never feel as strongly for them as I do about the Irish team. If England were in the same position as Ireland, I would feel for them and defend their right to call for a replay or an extra place, but I wouldn't care about as much tbh. I wouldn't laugh at them that's for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Ah where's your romance? The Oirish team being de turdy-turd team in Africa wud be great craic all together!

Muff_Daddy wrote: »
    Well I'm not English so of course I would never feel as strongly for them as I do about the Irish team. If England were in the same position as Ireland, I would feel for them and defend their right to call for a replay or an extra, but I wouldn't care about as much tbh. I wouldn't laugh at them that's for sure.

Where you around at the time of the Maradona hand ball

I was born in the summer of 86, so no. But I have heard the jokes, and yes I hold my hands up and admit I've laughed at some of them. But I've no real problem with people taking the mick, I'm actually all for it. It's the people who cover their ears and die of embarrssment because of the thought of a bit of mick taking that is what is really embarrassing to me. Fans of other countries will have their say, and let them, but don't be shy about it.

Football's governing body laughing at us is a different story however, they are treating one of their smaller confederations like they don't matter - and that to me is an outrage and one we should be rightly peeved by it.

Myself personally would've been in my cot at the time of the game so my recolation is limited. This is an honest question as I was obviously too young to remember, after the game did England ask for a Maradona ban or a replay? If they did was the subsequent reply answered with laughter?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

It would be funny if FIFA brought in video technology after all this publicity, and in 4 years Ireland miss out on a world cup because a vital goal is ruled out by the TMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Who are all the retards saying this is cringeworthy? Exactly why is it? Go back to England lads.

Quint wrote: »
    It would be funny if FIFA brought in video technology after all this publicity, and in 4 years Ireland miss out on a world cup because a vital goal is ruled out by the TMO

Well then 'irony' would have Ireland's picture beside it in the Dictionary if that happened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Ahh the fallback argument... "..for 800 years they robbed us of our land, language and culture"

Can you not come up with something a little more relevant??

Fact is that yes they cheated. Yes we tried our best to get our just rewards, but at least we know we did give it our best both on the field and off, so I dont see much point arguing over an fight thats been lost for weeks.

miralize wrote: »
    Ahh the fallback argument... "..for 800 years they robbed us of our land, language and culture"

Can you not come up with something a little more relevant??

Fact is that yes they cheated. Yes we tried our best to get our just rewards, but at least we know we did give it our best both on the field and off, so I dont see much point arguing over an fight thats been lost for weeks.

I don't believe that we said anything against England, I went on record to say I wouldn't be in hysterics if it happened to England. A poster asked about the Maradona incident and the argument is simply would England or any other higher power have been treated the way we are(with laughter) thats all.

Myself personally would've been in my cot at the time of the game so my recolation is limited. This is an honest question as I was obviously too young to remember, after the game did England ask for a Maradona ban or a replay? If they did was the subsequent reply answered with laughter?

I'm starting to feel old :D

As far as I can remember and I am open to correction no replay was asked for or for Maradona to be banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

To all the people slating the FAI for doing this, do you honestly think for one second if France had lost out to a dodgy goal that Platini and co would keep their mouths shut about it? Would they hell. We would see Blatter and his cronies trying to move heaven and earth to get them to the World Cup.

My personal view is that the dignified thing to do is to let the matter rest but all this tripe about being embarrassed to be Irish because of this...give it a rest please. :rolleyes:
    ya but that would have been france so that would have been acceptable and probably successful. Ireland don't have any influencial people on FIFA/UEFA boards so they look down their noses at our appeals with scorn!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I don't believe that we said anything against England, I went on record to say I wouldn't be in hysterics if it happened to England. A poster asked about the Maradona incident and the argument is simply would England or any other higher power have been treated the way we are(with laughter) thats all.

Sorry! Wasnt directed at you mate. Read above your post

Ah no bother, I just get defensive when I believe I've been accused in the wrong:D Sorry about that

I was only referring to England because Openroad asked me how I'd feel if England were in the situation Ireland are in, and then he pressed me on it by asking the question about the Maradonna goal.

I'm starting to feel old :D

As far as I can remember and I am open to correction no replay was asked for or for Maradona to be banned.

We'll probably still be discussing this incident in another 23 years time, then I'll feel old:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

To me its all a bit too scripted...

This is all posturing, in the same way a replay was never a runner, there is no way there will be a 33rd team in SA. What is going on here is FIFA and the FAI throwing shapes with an eventually nod from FIFA that the goal should not have stood, some initative on video refs, pat on the head for Delaney and a couple of lucrative friendlys. That will be that we will move on a hopefully get to the Euros (possibly with a soft group courtesy of UEFA though this is unlikely)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭Rondolfus

WE GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JUST ON SKY NEWS NOW. FIFA have decided that Ireland will be the fifth team in one of the world cup groups!!! The pigs have already started taking off from dublin airport!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Rondolfus wrote: »
    WE GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JUST ON SKY NEWS NOW. FIFA have decided that Ireland will be the fifth team in one of the world cup groups!!! The pigs have already started taking off from dublin airport!

simpsons_flying_pig.jpg

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

CCCP^ wrote: »
    Who are all the retards saying this is cringeworthy? Exactly why is it? Go back to England lads.

It's cringe worthy because it was never going to happen, asking for it stinks of desperation. And wtf has England got to do with it?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Absolutely pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

CCCP^ wrote: »

I'm sorry but what gives Ireland the right to be in the World Cup?

SantryRed wrote: »
    I'm sorry but what gives Ireland the right to be in the World Cup?

Because a team that prospered through cheating is there instead of us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Because a team that prospered through cheating is there instead of us?

We've no right to be there though. It would have gone to penalties then. There is absolutely no reason for being allowed enter. None at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭roosh

I was wondering about the possibility of doing this. It could be done as a one off, although it is a complete non-runner.

I wasn't gonna bother asking this, but seeing as how it is related, I will.

The following is entirely hypothetical:
    Not that it would happen, just wondering if the possibility could exist, that the extra-time of the play-off against France be replayed, and penalties if needed?

I know there was an issue with regard to setting a dangerous precedent, but could the result after 90mins in Paris be allowed to stand, and the 30mins of extra-time be replayed?

The 90mins regular time and the extra-time are effectively treated as separate games aren't they? Could this have allowed FIFA to stand by the 0-1 result in Paris and order a replay of Extra-time?

This would limit the number of potential "claims" as games would have to specifically have been in the extra-time period in order for a replay to be ordered. Also, with the introduction of additional match officials, it would effectively mean that the precedent could not be followed as the conditions would be sufficiently different, making it a de facto "one-off" decision.

Again, I know that this would never happen, but, could it have been possible?

SantryRed wrote: »
    We've no right to be there though. It would have gone to penalties then. There is absolutely no reason for being allowed enter. None at all!

The match was level but the FFF have refused to give a replay which would surely be the fair and logical solution to the issue.

If France are securely there in the World Cup as it now seems - through cheating - why should Ireland miss out as a result? What message does that send out? How about the philosophy that "cheaters never win and winners never cheat"? Or do we just discard all that?

If FIFA had the balls to back up their fair play platitudes then they would do something instead of shrugging their shoulders. The integrity of the sport is in the toilet thanks to the embarrassment that is Sepp Blatter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement