Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic ask for extra cup place

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Töpher wrote: »

Replay the game, failing that give Georgia the 3 points, as they would have held on otherwise.

Farcical carry on. Even more farcical is the support for this idea. I'm baffled and embarrassed.

If I were you, I'd go back and check the final standings in our group.

Then you'll find that we finished 4 points ahead of third placed Bulgaria. Deduct the 3 points and we still finish in second place. Your suggestion is irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Rondolfus wrote: »
    WE GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JUST ON SKY NEWS NOW. FIFA have decided that Ireland will be the fifth team in one of the world cup groups!!! The pigs have already started taking off from dublin airport!
    any chance you want to offer a link...? Highly doubt you read that right. Reckon you were looking at the story-FIFA Confirm Ireland Request

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

The match was level but the FFF have refused to give a replay which would surely be the fair and logical solution to the issue.

If France are securely there in the World Cup as it now seems - through cheating - why should Ireland miss out as a result? What message does that send out? How about the philosophy that "cheaters never win and winners never cheat"? Or do we just discard all that?

If FIFA had the balls to back up their fair play platitudes then they would do something instead of shrugging their shoulders. The integrity of the sport is in the toilet thanks to the embarrassment that is Sepp Blatter.

Here Fúckin Here

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Let's not forget FIFA's last minute decision to seed the playoffs, giving us an even bigger mountian to climb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

yeah, imagine the cheek of them seeding them, JUST LIKE THE LAST TIME!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭Rondolfus

Jackobyte wrote: »
    any chance you want to offer a link...? Highly doubt you read that right. Reckon you were looking at the story-FIFA Confirm Ireland Request

You cannot be serious. lol

I suggest you read the last line of my post. The bit about "pigs flying."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

orourkeda wrote: »

Then you'll find that we finished 4 points ahead of third placed Bulgaria. Deduct the 3 points and we still finish in second place. Your suggestion is irrelevant.

It could be argued that the defeat had a negative impact on the minds of the Bulgarian players and the win had a positive impact on the Irish players at the time, but Bulgaria should have called for a replay at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

podge018 wrote: »
    yeah, imagine the cheek of them seeding them, JUST LIKE THE LAST TIME!

Oh right, there was a precedent for seeding, so that makes it okay for FIFA to change the rules mid-competition to suit their own agendas :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Blatter's attitude says it all "the rules of football are 124 years old".

The man is a dinosaur who is only concerned with preserving tradition and that is killing football. Please, get him out of FIFA and bring someone in who will move the game into the 21st century. Professional football played in front of audiences of millions, demand a little more scrutiny in how big calls are made, compared with some blue square north side.

I also like how he said that artificial turf will probably be used after this world cup. Doesn't that go against his reason for not adopting video being that football should be equal at all levels?

But yes, let's at least walk away with our dignity. Seeing that old f**ker joke with the assembled press corps when he mentioned us wanting to be allowed in just made me feel embarrassed. We all wanted Ireland to be there, but it's time to grow up and realize it's not going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

Muff_Daddy wrote: »
    Oh right, there was a precedent for seeding, so that makes it okay for FIFA to change the rules mid-competition to suit their own agendas :rolleyes:

for the millionth time, they didn't change the rules. They never said it would be an open draw. Is that clear now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

You cannot be serious. lol

I suggest you read the last line of my post. The bit about "pigs flying."
    Ahhh, I read that wrong. When you said the pigs were already taking off from Dublin Airport, I thought you meant the FAI board were flying out to meet FIFA board:P

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Ahhh, I read that wrong. When you said the pigs were already taking off from Dublin Airport, I thought you meant the FAI board were flying out to meet FIFA board:P

It actually could apply to them too lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

OPENROAD wrote: »
    It could be argued that the defeat had a negative impact on the minds of the Bulgarian players and the win had a positive impact on the Irish players at the time, but Bulgaria should have called for a replay at the time.

It cannot be argued that Bulgaria won 3 matches from 10. This penalty decision would not have changed this. It would only have meant us losing 3 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

It cannot be argued that Bulgaria won 3 matches from 10. This penalty decision would not have changed this. It would only have meant us losing 3 points.

We don't know that. We better replay everygame after the Georgia one to make sure it's fair!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

WE GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JUST ON SKY NEWS NOW. FIFA have decided that Ireland will be the fifth team in one of the world cup groups!!!

Please refrain from giving me heart failure in future..

• Advertisement

The penalty in the Georgia game was the Refs fault not Ireland's. No Irish player deliberately tried to cheat gerogia. Did any Irish player dive in the box to get it??? No. So why should Ireland be punished for something that the referee is responsible for??

In contrast to this the goal against Ireland resulted primarily from an act of deliberate cheating by a French player representing the French team. An act that, looking back on video evidence, is one of the clearest examples of cheating in modern day football. Unlike a dive which, even in video review, can be disputed, Henrys hand ball cannot. Even he admitted it. This act was carried out by France and hence they should have been held responsible for it.

So to reiterate, Ireland did not cheat Georgia. The referee made a bizarre mistake.

France deliberately cheated in the Ireland game and were rewarded for it.

Referee mistakes are normal, but deliberate cheating needs to be dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

The penalty in the Georgia game was the Refs fault not Ireland's. No Irish player deliberately tried to cheat gerogia. Did any Irish player dive in the box to get it??? No. So why should Ireland be punished for something that the referee is responsible for??

In contrast to this the goal against Ireland resulted primarily from an act of deliberate cheating by a French player representing the French team. An act that, looking back on video evidence, is one of the clearest examples of cheating in modern day football. Unlike a dive which, even in video review, can be disputed, Henrys hand ball cannot. Even he admitted it. This act was carried out by France and hence they should have been held responsible for it.

So to reiterate, Ireland did not cheat Georgia. The referee made a bizarre mistake.

Have people not been talking about "fairness" though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Where would this argument be made? The November issue of Clutching Straws?

Yes Ireland have been on the receiving end of refereeing errors in the past. That's hardly surprising considering how rife this sport is with refereeing inaccuracies. Hence why we need video technology. It's funny though how we hardly heard a peep from Irish fans about Georgia's misfortune until some thought they could score cheap points by referencing it.

The point here however is the Ireland/France game was to decide a place in the World Cup Finals - bringing millions of euros to the country's coffers as well as the prestige and joy of the occasion - and because of an act of cheating from a French player it is they who are in the World Cup - receiving the millions in their coffers and the prestige - while we have to sit it out at home.

How is that fair so? Well, of course, it isn't. Thus if FIFA are as keen on fair play and promoting the image of the sport as they claim they are, then how about they prove it and get up off their arses and do something productive?

This was undoubtedly an incident that brought the game into disrepute. The sheer amount of controversy and comment it has provoked are a testament to that, including comments from even French figures in the game remarking on the shame of it from their perspective. Arsene Wenger for instance called for a replay and fair play to him for that.

Some fans on here seem to be upset about the FAI's request because they don't feel Ireland have earned a place in the World Cup and I'd respond to that by simply pointing out this - neither have France. THEY PROSPERED THROUGH CHEATING.

Dress it up all you want - for whatever reason you want - but that is the reality of it.

Have people not been talking about "fairness" though

Of course we should seek justice whenever possible. Replaying matches because of a refs mistake is not realistic, as mistakes are made in every match. Catching a player "red handed" in the act of cheating is something different. Personally I never went down the road of supporting replaying the match, however, giving the evidence I feel Henry should have been banned from the world cup. That would send out a clear message about fairness.

I do however understand people pushing for a replay etc. When you are negotiating, you always start with an exaggerated demand. Thats common sense. Asking for Ireland to be included in the world cup is an example of this. We may not get into the world cup, however, we may be treated more fairly in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Has the predictable decision been made?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Doocey wrote: »
    Has the predictable decision been made?

yes FIFA are sending all the teams who missed qualification by a solitary goal to africa

they will be lumped into their own group with dedicated referees for both half's of the pitch and multiple linesmen and cameras at all their games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Sepp Blatter (deliberatley) made an embarrsassment of the FAI today. I cringed when the whole room, whom he was addressing, laughed at our little association's request. And it was an embarrassing request from our point of view.

But Sepp Blatter is a corrupt, despicable little man who's love for football falls below his dodgy bank balance in terms of priority and it says it all that he is head of FIFA, one of the most corrupt organisations in the worlld!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,517 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

monkey9 wrote: »
    Sepp Blatter (deliberatley) made an embarrsassment of the FAI today. I cringed when the whole room, whom he was addressing, laughed at our little association's request. And it was an embarrassing request from our point of view.

But Sepp Blatter is a corrupt, despicable little man who's love for football falls below his dodgy bank balance in terms of priority and it says it all that he is head of FIFA, one of the most corrupt organisations in the worlld!!

You're right on the money.
    He showed a complete lack of class in how he handled the situation.
    He was playing to the balconies with his condescending tone.
    The request was embarrassing in some respects, but Blatter's reaction should be seen as ten time more mebarrassing for FIFA then the request from the FAI.
    I've always known Blatter is a corrupt man at the helm of a corrupt body, but today he showed just what a classless piece of dirt he really is. If he's leading by example, I shudder when I consider the future of the sport.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

we asked to be the 33rd team in the world cup when we didnt even qualify....................... head of fifa or not, no man could keep a straight face when u think how daft that sounds!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

This is being blown out of all proportions and I think the FAI have a deserved right to be pissed off at Blatter.

That said, asking for the 33rd place is laughable but lets face it, it was a one liner in a raft of issues the FAI were raising and in fairness if I was sitting in front of Step Ladder and his cronies I'd probably throw it in there too. I don't think they thought that he'd turn around and make a joke out of it. As bad as it makes the FAI look (and they've plenty of experience at that) I think it shows Blatter up for the dispicable corrupt figure he really is. He was very quiet up until now.

In any case, this should be the end of it. Let it die. We have very little dignity left when we were the victims.

I look forward to the World CorrUPt in all it's advertising glory...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I think at this stage we should let it go. FIFA and Blatter have been shown up and i love those little rascals gatting their comeuppence!! Let them eat pheasant!!!! F*ck them!!

The main lesson i see here is that those players remember how it feels right now and let it drive them on!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Just heard on the news today that Blatter has been very selective in what he chose to say at the press conference. Apparently the FAI handed in a list of suggestions but Blatter decided to take the p1ss. A bit shabby on his part to be fair.

My view on the whole situation is that the FAI trying to get FIFA to change their minds is a bit like LOI fans trying to get barstoolers to go to matches. It's certainly a just and honourable fight but it's also quite futile and pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

BaZmO* wrote: »
    My view on the whole situation is that the FAI trying to get FIFA to change their minds is a bit like LOI fans trying to get barstoolers to go to matches. It's certainly a just and honourable fight but it's also quite futile and pointless.

Ha - great way of putting it! Similarly, just noticed your signature BaZmO --- jesus, the amount of pickpockets there were out and around O'Sullivan's after was unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭secman

Blatter is a buffoon and Delaney is fast becoming one. It would appear that the Buffoons tend to rise to power in Football Associations, English F.A even has some ..........

Secmna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Kenteach

secman wrote: »
    Blatter is a buffoon and Delaney is fast becoming one. It would appear that the Buffoons tend to rise to power in Football Associations, English F.A even has some ..........

Secmna

Delaney is a much bigger buffoon than Blatter. Sepp gave our request the respect it deserved, none.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Bono has waided in behind it now, so it's going to happen just like there is no hunger in the world or global warming(which there isn't you know it's a myth).
    If by some chance this doesn't work I think they should call off the whole tourney and give us the World Cup instead as we would definitely win it if we were allowed to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

NoelRock wrote: »
    just noticed your signature BaZmO --- jesus, the amount of pickpockets there were out and around O'Sullivan's after was unreal.
    I think you might be missing the point of my sig Noel. ;)

Kenteach wrote: »
    Delaney is a much bigger buffoon than Blatter.
    Oh I dunno

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I think you might be missing the point of my sig Noel. ;)

Well... let's say it works on two levels. One of them very literal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5737108,00.html

Fifa have rejected Republic of Ireland's request to become the 33rd team to qualify for the 2010 World Cup finals in South Africa.
    The Football Associationspacer.gif of Ireland made the request to world football's governing body in the wake of Thierry Henry'sspacer.gif now-infamous handball in France's play-off victory over Giovanni Trapattoni's side.
    Ireland never expected their audacious request to be met with anything other than a rejection, but were keen to gain a response from Fifaspacer.gif over the Henry incident.
    The former Arsenal striker clearly controlled the ball with his hand before crossing for William Gallasspacer.gif to score an extra-time equaliser which secured a 2-1 aggregate victory at the Stade de France.
    Impossible

Fifa secretary general Jerome Valcke admitted it was "impossible" to change the structure of the tournament, with the draw due to take place in Cape Townspacer.gif on Friday.
    Valcke added that agreeing to Ireland's request would open Fifa to numerous other complaints of teams who felt they had been hard done by during the qualifying tournament.
    Valcke, who will present the draw on Friday when the 32 teams will be split into eight groups of four, said he "would not say it is a nonsense but it is impossible".
    Fifa president Sepp Blatter has already angered Ireland assistant coach Liam Bradyspacer.gif with the manner in which he revealed the Republic's request, with Brady branding him "an embarrassment" and a "loose cannon".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭briany

So the soccer pope rejected the request eh? Well what a surprise. Is the Herald's headline gonna be "AW SHUCKS!" then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Its all over for definete now. We have to go qualify for the euros now, were certainly good enough. 2nd place is automatic. Not impossible at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Charlize Theron is helping in the WC draw on Friday....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

That_Guy wrote: »
    Charlize Theron is helping in the WC draw on Friday....

well thats a consolation i suppose. Hey fellas, i reckon the only way we'd gain entry into the WC2010 would be if someone like Egypt got sick, maybe we could take their place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Dun laoire wrote: »
    well thats a consolation i suppose. Hey fellas, i reckon the only way we'd gain entry into the WC2010 would be if someone like Egypt got sick, maybe we could take their place?

Or if we set up our own World Cup.... exclusive to Ireland. Yeah.

Yay. Go Ireland. Woo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

It goes to show you dont have to go further than Ireland to find petty, corrupt, jokes of little men like Blatter! I actually think the guy is an embarassment to himself and world football! After what happened with the seeding as much as the handball, to laugh off the suggestion in public like he did was pathetic! Id have love to see the decision go the other way i.e against France and see what the c**t had to say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Blatter is just a corrupt little ....*****

himself and bertie should start their own organisation tbh.

And he wants to re run for presidency for the next 4 years., seet jeebus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

Blatter falling over, just because

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is anyone listening to Chippy? Whine moan vent..blah blah blah. Newstalks Off the Ball is happy to encourage it unfortunatly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Blatter thinks 33 teams is a joke. So is a team qualifying with a blatant handball, as is the Fair Play policies being conveniently ignored. Put France out and there'll be 32 teams. Problem solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I wish the Irish would get off their knees and stop begging. Respect, where's your self respect? (seriously).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

I'd argue that the succeeding games could have had very different outcomes on the basis of a different result in this match. We'll never know, however.

Robbie Keane actively appealed for a penalty that never was, which put added pressure on the referee at that moment in time to award one. Robbie Keane then took said penalty, surely knowing it should not have been awarded. It may not be as blatant as the handball, but it is an attempt to dupe the officials and get one over on the opposition. I'm not saying he cheated, but it's an example of Ireland benefiting from a lack of fair play - fair play seemingly being hugely important to all involved in the Ireland setup.

Both decisions effected the course of qualifying for the World Cup. Both were shocking decisions. Both were accepted with open arms from the benefiting sides, and disgust from the victims, as happens in football around the world on a daily basis. It's not fair, but having the officials that represent football in your country crying about it like a child crying over split milk that it never actually had really is gut churning. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

begging for a place? this is just pathetic. we didnt do enough to qualify. hand ball ok.... we still didnt win the game. games dont get played again due to bad decisions. something that needs to be accepted. I was gutted how we went out, yea, but thats that. Asking basically " ah go on can you not just let us in anyway, it was a bad mistake" is pathetic begging and is a laughable request. Not by a man in his position but it is ridiculous. Everyone knows he is a joke but this puts the icing on the cake.
    but at the end of the day its making our football association seem like pathetic idiots(yes I know we knew some of them were already).

we still might have had to go to pens if we could have survived the second half of extra time anyway so how do we deserve to be there either?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Didn't know where to stick this one but it was actually a very good response from the FAI
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5g9aMKFpJ8YGOABxHnMY7zGAn2aPw

The Football Association of Ireland have hit out at FIFA president Sepp Blatter for making public details of private discussions over the nation's bid for World Cup justice.

FAI chiefs have revealed they had asked on Tuesday that their request for the Republic of Ireland to
    be included as the 33rd team at next summer's finals not be raised at Wednesday's meeting of the governing body's executive
    committee in Cape Town. A statement said: "The Football Association of Ireland acknowledges that the suggestion of an additional place at the World Cup is not a possibility and has requested yesterday (Tuesday) that it will not be raised at today's (Wednesday) FIFA executive committee meeting."

It continued: "The FAI has already clarified that this matter was peripheral, was not raised in any of its formal written submissions to FIFA, and was explored only fleetingly as part of a wide-ranging 90-minute discussion with that body.
    "Regrettably, the matter appears to have been singled out in public by Mr Blatter despite his assurances that the meeting would remain private."
    Ireland were denied a place at the finals in South Africa when Swedish referee Martin Hansson failed to spot France skipper Thierry Henry handling the ball in the run-up to William Gallas' decisive goal in the play-off second leg clash between the two sides at the Stade de France on November 18.

The FAI asked for the game to be replayed amid a public outcry, but both FIFA and the French Football Federation declined.
    Having finally admitted defeat, the FAI, who were already angry at the late decision to seed the play-offs which handed the Republic a tougher draw than they might have had, have instead submitted a series of proposals to the executive committee in an effort to prevent a repeat.
    The statement continued: "Instead of diverting attention, we would prefer that Mr Blatter uses this opportunity to deal with the issues which have been raised formally for the benefit of football worldwide.

"1. Ensure that FIFA's rules cannot be changed mid-way through a tournament, for whatever reason, commercial or otherwise. 2. Introduce video technology for matches at the highest level which has been resisted for too long and which would have avoided the error that led, in part, to the meeting. 3. Implement additional goal line assistant referees for all FIFA international matches. 4. In future, introduce stronger sanctions for players involved in match defining breaches of the Laws of the Game. 5. Issue a clear statement that FIFA does not condone breaches of the Laws of the Game. For a man in Mr Blatter's position to empathise with someone who scored a goal by cheating is inappropriate."
    Copyright © 2009 The Press Association. All rights reserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    begging for a place? this is just pathetic. we didnt do enough to qualify. hand ball ok.... we still didnt win the game.

Well if you want to be pedantic about it we did actually win the game, 1-0 if my memory serves me correctly ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement