Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magic Mats

Options
  • 30-11-2009 12:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

Anyone ever used or heard anything bout these?

They are meant to trap the dirt as soon as you step on them so we were thinking of getting one for the front door and one for the back door to stop the dogs bringing in dirt/muck.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

they don't trap the dirt on dogs paws, we had one at our back door, and a lot of muck in our kitchen - i know cos i have to clean it ;o)

i've seen these "glove" things you can get for cleaning dogs paws, but never used them - anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Thats a shame, cos I bought one on Saturday in a desperate attempt to keep the floors semi clean!

Haven't put it down yet, one of today's jobs, clean out the porch and put it down, will let you know if I have any better luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Santrypad

Thanks fo rthe replies..... I came acroos this maybe it was something like that you heard of?

http://cgi.ebay.ie/BAMBOO-MUD-MAGNET-PAW-CLEANER-GLOVE-MICROFIBRE-DOG-PET_W0QQitemZ260510993984QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs?hash=item3ca7aa4e40

Id still be interested to find out how the mat holds out though

dat's them alright - anyone tried them - think there was reviews on Amazon maybe

a review
    My Experience

These are convenient for those short walks in slop or damp conditions. We keep two large towels in the entry for those really sloppy days or rainy days when both dogs return home dangerously wet—dangerous for the furniture, floor or any rugs. One of our labs is almost like a sponge in how much moisture his fur absorbs. The Mud Magnet Paw Cleaner doesn’t stand a chance against a 90-pound wet lab, even when it’s only his legs and tummy that are soaked. Yes, it even works well on mud, although the mud needs to be damp and not dried on.

Smaller dogs (half this size) or any size of dog in slop and damp conditions will benefit from the 2-in-1 glove/mitt paw cleaner. But don’t consider using it to dry off tummies, long legs and backs of large or extra large dogs. It might drown the paw magnet.

Back to the commands, if your canine friend will hold still long enough to have their paws and toes wiped clean and patted dry the two of you will really like these mitts. If he comes in looking like a soaked mop you best resort to your traditional towel. A full-body rub down on a completely wet dog won’t work unless you’re owned by a teacup Chihuahua.

http://www.epinions.com/review/Mud_Magnet_Paw_Cleaner/content_415677517444
    Great idea but the glove is too thin to be effective. My hand gets wet when I use it. I ended up getting a Spotless Paw which has much thicker microfiber. So my complaint seems to be similar to the first reviewer.

http://www.epinions.com/review/Mud_Magnet_Paw_Cleaner/content_463526334084

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Our Sindy has her own towel, that we keep by the back door. She is now used to getting her paws dried when she comes in. At least when we catch her :-) I was also going to get the magic mat for both her and us :-)

• Advertisement

back in the days it was just me and tyson, I had one of his many towels ready at the back door if it was raining, he loved getting dried - specially his head - used to bury it in the towel, now i have Roxy as well as her three remaining pups i have just given up for the time being :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Maggie.23

I got magic mats for inside the front and back doors a couple of weeks back. They work great for people but not for dogs, unless you can teach your dog to wipe its feet! Lately I have begun using baby wipes to give the floor a quick wipe after the dog has gone through. It doesn't take much effort and works well for just a few paw prints. The dog then grooms her feet, she's good that way, and all is well until her next trip down the garden.
    PS I find it very hard to hoover dog hair off the magic mats, it clings to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Was thinking of trying them as well, but at the moment I have a larger mat I got in Lidl just a regular one but it's bigger so the dogs have to walk longer along it before they get onto the floor. Perhaps a carpet runner might work.

Mind you there's no avoiding the muck atm, sometimes it's easier to throw a few towels down at the back door or layers of newspapers. If there are particularly mucky patches from garden direct to back door where the dog walks putting some bark mulch down outside or rubber mats outside can help.

Advertisement