Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incorrect Bill from 02, ADVICE PLEASE

Options
  • 30-11-2009 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I recently received a bill from O2 for €274. The reason for this was that they said I went over my 10 MB. I checked and I know I did not. I only use my laptop at home to send emails and internet banking. I have not used it any more this month than previously. They have investigated it and say it is correct. I asked for the details of sites logged onto but under data protection laws they can not do this. I am furious over this bill so checked back over previous bills to try see where my usuage was higher and try find out what I did differently. When I looked back I found that while I was abroad it was logged onto on three separate occasions. I was overseas with no access to my laptop. My husband was with me and nobody had access to our home let alone our laptop. It is pin protected as is the internet. It is not possible that anyone logged on at this time. When I said this to O2 they said their data was correct. Any advice on what to next? The bill was paid. I complaint before the bill was due and they took the payment 3 days earlier than was due.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I think this might be better served in the Consumer Issues forum. dudara, etc, bounce it back to Midband if not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

butterly wrote: »
    I asked for the details of sites logged onto but under data protection laws they can not do this.

It's your account information, so data protection doesn't come into it. That only prevents them giving information to 3rd parties. I'm not sure if they'd actually have a log of all your Internet activity anyway. All they definitely have, is the totals, which you can check online yourself. These should be updated on a daily basis.
    butterly wrote: »
    The bill was paid. I complaint before the bill was due and they took the payment 3 days earlier than was due.

You can contact the bank, and get the direct debit reversed, if O2 drew it before it was due, or if the amount was in dispute. The bank may deny this, but inform them of the direct debit rules if they do.
    http://www.ipso.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=35&Itemid=172

Apart from that, it's going to be quite difficult to prove the data usage stats are wrong, if O2 are convinced they are right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

They will have a copy of every site you've been on , Data protection requires them to do this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 butterly

I questioned why they didnt have a detail list of sites visited but they insist it is data protection that prevents them from doing this :-( I even pointed out that if I was looking up illegal material they would have a details of it....but got no where with it. I asked WHO would have this info and she said ask the guards....basically the bill is right get over it...regarless of the fact I was not in the country for one part they have listed. Any ideas what to do next?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Are you sure that this data charge is for your modem? Could it perhaps be for your telephone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 butterly

Definitly sure only have internet with them...no home phone and meteor mobile

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭hickory

You should contact Comreg, especially about the times that you were on holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

OK - so it's definitely the modem. Contact them again, and make a request under the data protection act for the traffic on those dates. If they refuse, then get in touch with Comreg.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Didn't someone else have a similar complaint recently where it turned out they (the ISP) had the wrong modem number registered to the account?

Might we worth ringing them and asking them how they identify which modem it is, and how you can confirm it's correct.
    (And might be better that you check your modem against their records, rather than giving them your modem details for them to check, to which they could just say "yeah that's what we have").

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 TinaRoche

I have had the exact same thing happen to me, I have been billed 267 this month when I should only have been billed for 19.99, a std rate for having the modem, I have not downloaded anything or have had anything running in the background and yet they tell me I have gone well over my 10 gig limit and have been charged because of that. The money has already gone from my account, and as far as they are concerned,Im wrong and they are right, end of story, Please can some one advise me as to what to do?? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭matt70iu

TinaRoche wrote: »
    I have had the exact same thing happen to me, I have been billed 267 this month when I should only have been billed for 19.99, a std rate for having the modem, I have not downloaded anything or have had anything running in the background and yet they tell me I have gone well over my 10 gig limit and have been charged because of that. The money has already gone from my account, and as far as they are concerned,Im wrong and they are right, end of story, Please can some one advise me as to what to do?? Thanks

Try going to http://forums.o2online.ie. That's o2's customer care forum, they may be able to assist you further, hope this helps.

Advertisement