Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Old Cinema in Carlow

Options
  • 30-11-2009 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭

Hey guys. Great news on the new cinema, love it. Still have to check out the VIP seats.

Anyone know if their doing anything with the old cinema? It would be cool to see a couple of the more far right/arty movies there. Like the new cinema is not showing, or isnt going to I presume, A White Ribbon or A Serious Man.

I'm presuming it wouldn't be cost effective to run a cinema for a niche market, but it seems a shame to just let the rats 'ave it. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

The theatre has been showing a few arty flicks since it opened.

I don't know what they can do with the old cinema. Hopefully it won't be left empty like the gym next door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

Yea, I saw that, they showed Pans Labaryith around Halloween, and I missed it. Raging, really wanted to see it, had a could not get out of work thing.

I think thats all the theater is showing in terms of films tho, isnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

old cinema? am confused guess am in the wrong thread"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 belindaf

i hope they make it into like a horror cinema or somethin cos ya no de way its haunted and everythin dat would be deadly :)

RealistSpy wrote: »
    old cinema? am confused guess am in the wrong thread"!

Nah, the old omniplex cinema, the 3 screen one.
    Am I not getting a joke?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pinkfloyd34

or just knock in the walls and have a great prime location for a m&s or quality shop thats not in carlow, cant see that happening though as superquinn wouldnt be happy about it, maybe if al the boardies post an idea for it here and see which is the best one, another nightclub maybe but that wouldnt work either

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭bluefirefly

yea. I hope its not gona just be left there! That's a pretty good idea. Play movies that's not mainstream or something.

Yea, Id love like a classic film cinema club, once or twice a month showing or something. But Im pressuming something like that would be a huge undertaking, when you consider cost of staff, cleaning, services etc.

Anyone any experience in this area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

I am fed up to the the teeth of the so called 3D in the new omniplex and as much as i like the different level chairs and the bigger screens there are a few things i hate:

1: Some of the screens have a weird smell when you walk i to the door smells like sick, honestly,

2: The fact that we have no choice in some movies that are in 3D, some times they will show movies only in 3D so that we pay them the extra 1.50 RIP OFF...

How about the re-Open the cinema and screen some movies in 2d or keep it exclusively 3D (lets see how many go lol) but in all honestly it is an utter shame to abandon this perfectly great little cinema.

We had one in limerick years before and they reopened it it was across the street from the savoy and they used the 2 screens as extras and also rented it out to people for party's, i remember going to the rocky horror who there :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

The new cinema is smelly alright.

Was there last week and had booked tickets online, went to collect them at the automatic ticket machine and it was broken. Went up to the dude checking the tickets as you enter the cinemas(guy in his late 30's to mid 40's) and showed him the email confirming my booking. He barked at me that he wouldn't accept the email confirmation and that I had to queue up for my tickets at a till and show them the email, missed the start of the movie.

I like to support local businesses but I won't be in a hurry to go back there after that ignorant guy, Naas is only just up the road and Liffey valley isn't too far away either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

oxygen wrote: »
    It would be cool to see a couple of the more far right/arty movies there.

A neo-nazi movie season?!

Or did you mean leftfield :D

Anyway I completely agree. Don't live in Carlow anymore but used to hate that there was nothing but the usual sequel filled crap in the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

When it closed, they were supposed to re-open it for showings of independant/foreign/non-mainstream films.

Never seemed to happen though (would be very surprised if their was demand for it TBH and make some € from it) so its been left idle with no plans currently in-sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

TaosHum wrote: »
    When it closed, they were supposed to re-open it for showings of independant/foreign/non-mainstream films.

Never seemed to happen though (would be very surprised if their was demand for it TBH and make some € from it) so its been left idle with no plans currently in-sight.

Never heard any announcement that it was supposed to be re-used, but I did hear suggestions that it should be. The GBS Theatre at Visual shows 2 or 3 non-mainstream films every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

I reckon turn it into a massive climbing centre. :D

Advertisement