Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky Digital

• 30-11-2009 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi Guy's

I'm wondering if you guys could help me :)

I am looking to get Sky digital into my house, I am looking to get Multi Room in 3 bedrooms upstairs.... Problem No 1 is.... We have no telephone line and sky won't enterain us without a telephone line, But there was a sales rep in Tesco's in Ballyfermot who said he could do this for me without the Telephone line, .....Problem No 2 is.... I lost his telephone number :(

Does any1 no sales reps who does install's mulit room without Telephone Lines?

Thank :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Wizard007

I think that guy might have "slightly" mis-informed you. You can not have Sky Multiroom without an active landline unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Noodles23

I explained to the guy that i didn't have a landline he said he wud sort it out for me!

I had sky before, when i had a land line and the put in Multi Room, But after a month got rid of my land line but this didn't make any difference as my Sky Multi room was still workng

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

AFAIK the only reason that your sky box needs to be hooked up to a phone line is so that your able to order box office and play the interactive games and so on......basically anything that they can charge you extra for is charged through the phone line and ordering ppvs can be done through your box when its hooked up to a phone line rather than having to ring them every time.....

in saying that, i have had my phoneline disconnected the odd time, but they do send system updates through the phone line too AFAIK.

another thing that the phoneline is used for is that if you have a fault with your box and you ring customer services, they use the phoneline to check your system health. by my reckoning the phoneline is a handy element for them but it shouldnt be too much trouble if its not connected, but yould have to check the small print of your contract first as i think its a requisute to have a phone line connected all the time, or else your in breach of contract and you dont want to head down that road.

Ok, here's what happens.

A land line has to be in place for Multiroom so Sky know all boxes are at the one address.

Say you have the Multiroom installed with no land line. Firstly, the call backs can not be done through the phone lines so all boxes have to be manually activated. When the engineer calls Sky to do this Sky will refuse because it is not allowed for multiple boxes ( this is allowed for single box installs not multiple ) so you will have your Sky boxes but no subscription channels.

Second, if you manage at all to get the boxes up and running, Sky do calls backs via the phone line to the boxes every now and then. If your boxes are not connected you will get a warning on the screen asking you to connect your phone line. Sky will send you a letter asking you to do the same. If they do not get a successfull call back, they will send you letter number two. Eventually they will send you letter number three to inform you that they are going to charge you full package price for each individual box as the call backs are not successfull.

Having said that, some people have had their phone lines disconnected from the boxes and never had a letter or warning. Lucky I guess.

It's unfortunate but that's just the way it is. Sky would have alot more customers on more lucrative subscriptions if they did not have this rule, but it's their way of making sure the boxes are where they are supposed to be.

If you really do not want to use a phone line in your home, you could use Sky in one room and Free to Air or Freesat boxes in the other rooms. These do not have monthly subscriptions.

Yeah it is used for the interactive services. But the software updates and manual re-sending of signals when there are problems etc are not done via phone line.

• Advertisement

Is there anyone else BUT NTL in Ireland?

Just Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,540 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Moving from TV to Satellite forum...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Noodles23 wrote: »
    I explained to the guy that i didn't have a landline he said he wud sort it out for me!

These guys selling sky are on commission only.. They will prob say anything for a sale..

I have multiroom, second box was moved a couple weeks after installation, has not been plugged in in months.. never had a problem with it..

But as far as i know they need a phone for installation to send info about viewing card and box.. after that i think you can unplug it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gleep

Little bit off topic, but if anyone's looking to save a few yo yo on sky bethrifty.ie are offering €75 cashback!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭Ozzie

3 multirooms! must've won the lotto!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭John mac

But as far as i know they need a phone for installation to send info about viewing card and box.. after that i think you can unplug it..

what you know is not correct.. the boxes are called to see if they are on the same line..

this is why!

link

link

Ozzie wrote: »
    3 multirooms! must've won the lotto!

:D I wish :) it's only €7.50 Extra a month for an extra box in a room :o
    €22.50 = No More arguing over stations and Happy Campers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

John mac wrote: »
    what you know is not correct.. the boxes are called to see if they are on the same line..

this is why!

link

link

How come it doest matter after installation then???

I have 2 sky boxs, both unplugged.. no problem... But guy insisted on wiring them to phone when installing..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Also thinking of going with Sky. But I have UPC, do they cancel straight away. I will also need to get someone else for broadband.

How long does the Sat Dish take to install and is it easy to cancel with Sky in a years time? I plan on keeping FTA channels only but it seems cheaper then getting some one to install a FTA sat dish.

Should I even think about this?

Elmo wrote: »
    Also thinking of going with Sky. But I have UPC, do they cancel straight away. I will also need to get someone else for broadband.

How long does the Sat Dish take to install and is it easy to cancel with Sky in a years time? I plan on keeping FTA channels only but it seems cheaper then getting some one to install a FTA sat dish.

I am after having a horrible time at the moment with NTL :mad: The cut off most of my area to do works on the system an Never put it back on :mad:This is going on nearly 2 weeks without TV, They keep sayiing it will be fixed the next day and the next day :(

Thinking about going with Vodafone for the land line and wifi internet connect for €48 a month then going with Sky Digital :):mad:

Noodles23 wrote: »
    :D I wish :) it's only €7.50 Extra a month for an extra box in a room :o
    €22.50 = No More arguing over stations and Happy Campers :)

Noodles23, the sub for Multiroom is a total of €14.75 for up to seven extra rooms for the first twelve months. After that it goes up to €14.75 each. I'd love to know what sales agent you were talking to.

Elmo wrote: »

I think UPC is one months notice. Keep an eye on your direct debits after you're disconnected.

I don't know what the wait with Sky Direct is at the moment. The Kiosks in Dublin are installing on day seven / eight from when you place your order. To cancel just call them, they may offer you a reduction on your package cost for a few months to stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Wizard007 wrote: »
    I think UPC is one months notice. Keep an eye on your direct debits after you're disconnected.

I don't know what the wait with Sky Direct is at the moment. The Kiosks in Dublin are installing on day seven / eight from when you place your order. To cancel just call them, they may offer you a reduction on your package cost for a few months to stay.

I don't have a DD with UPC and they think I do since I pay via Internet Banking!

Very good.

• Advertisement

Wizard007 wrote: »
    Noodles23, the sub for Multiroom is a total of €14.75 for up to seven extra rooms for the first twelve months. After that it goes up to €14.75 each. I'd love to know what sales agent you were talking to.

Was speaking to A lad in the Liffey Valley Sky Stand;)

He should know better.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 unluckyforsome

hey about to sign up for sky, not sure exactly what packages to get, i was thinking of getting them all for the first month can i cancel them after this or will i be stuck with all the channels for the 12months?

You can change down after a month if you want to.

With the offers at the moment, you get your first month free.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 unluckyforsome

Sounds good!! Thanks a million!!

Advertisement