Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Icey icey icey

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Wossack wrote: »
    loss of power, eventually leading to a stall, as the air inlet ices up afaik..!

you'll pull in, look around the bike for a while scratching your head, and couple of mins later bike'll start/idle no bother (ice having melted from hot engine)
    That has happened before actually.

didn't know what the **** happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Wossack wrote: »
    loss of power, eventually leading to a stall, as the air inlet ices up afaik..!

you'll pull in, look around the bike for a while scratching your head, and couple of mins later bike'll start/idle no bother (ice having melted from hot engine)

So what's the solution? and will it cost much? and wtf is "AFAIK"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Xios wrote: »
    So what's the solution? and will it cost much? and wtf is "AFAIK"?

As far as i Know

ah, i was confused afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

sounds like steff had carb heaters installed on a bandit he used to own, so he'd be the one in the know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Behold, my amazing google powers!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carburetor_icing
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carburetor_heat

So it would imply that some sort of heating apparatus on the Carburetor would stop icing. Like a heater.

You can all thank me later...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Behold, my amazing google powers!

You can all thank me later...
    LOL Cuddlesworth! :D

@ Xios: the first winter I spent with the Bandit was a nightmare with carb icing. I wasn't going through another one like that again so I went to Scott's Bike in Harold's Cross and got carb heaters installed. Can't remember how much it cost me but I think it was around €160 EUR fitted.

Best mod I ever did to the Bandit! ;)

Thanks steffo, i'm waiting on grant money from the Gov, so once i get that, i'll get myself some nice carb heaters, i don't wanna change from this bike as i'm loving the fazer :) although my back brake has stopped working, off the mechanic tomorrow :(

Xios wrote: »
    Thanks steffo, i'm waiting on grant money from the Gov, so once i get that, i'll get myself some nice carb heaters, i don't wanna change from this bike as i'm loving the fazer :) although my back brake has stopped working, off the mechanic tomorrow :(
    Get some brake pads and I'll do it for you if you're low on cash. It's an easy job and I have all the tools... Get the pads tomorrow and come over to my house. It'll take 10 minutes...

If you'd like to do that PM me.

Get some brake pads and I'll do it for you if you're low on cash. It's an easy job and I have all the tools... Get the pads tomorrow and come over to my house. It'll take 10 minutes...

If you'd like to do that PM me.

If it was just the pads, i'd deffo come over, but since i scratched the disk, i'm getting a new (better condition second hand) one, and i'm also gettin the engine serviced. Next time i'll take ya up on that offer, sure i'm always open to learning new things, so it'll be a little lesson on bike maintenance.

• Advertisement

No hassle Xios!

I used to go to mechanics all the time but then, when I started racing, I had to learn how to service the bike myself. That's when I realised that the majority of jobs are easy and that all I needed were tools (which I now have). ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Pretty cold this morning, I reckon we're in for a cold few days :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Ahh a bit of cold never hurt anybody. Adult nappys sort out any unfortunate ice incidents and leave you clean and fresh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

DIdn't drive in this morning - going for a few drinks.... But i seen a taxi at the side of the road washing his car and the water running onto the road. MUPPET.

Will probably use the cage all week... It' going to keep colder and colder it seems. Although tomorrow should be ok (might even rain!).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I went sideways out of my road this morning, scared me a bit, I knew it was cold but did realise it was freezing. It was pretty dam cold, but still - I actually hate taking the car to work, not sure I'll see tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

hobochris wrote: »
    That I didn't know...

I thought it was build up from being left in the cold.

what are the symptoms of carb icing? Ive probably experienced it and not known..

Its because of the drop in pressure in the carbs so if its a lower than normal temp, then the temp in your carbs will be lower still as there is lower pressure.

I use proponol FSE feul additive in the winter and its sorts out my carb iceing a treat, Although a friend of mine with a V-Max uses heaters but its all a bit messy to rig up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭rameire

it official the next 7 days are going to be Baltic.
    with air temps around -10 at their lowest
    and ground temps around -5 at their lowest.

hopefully we wont be seeing each other in hospital.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

spoofilyj wrote: »

I use proponol FSE feul additive in the winter and its sorts out my carb iceing a treat,

Could you say a bit more about that product, what it sold as and where do you get?

Cheers

rameire wrote: »
    it official the next 7 days are going to be Baltic.
    with air temps around -10 at their lowest
    and ground temps around -5 at their lowest.

hopefully we wont be seeing each other in hospital.

Thankfully, i'm on my christmas break from college on friday, won't be riding the bike out of neccessity till january =D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yeah me too with work, thank fuk

lol, i posted a thread on biker.ie, and when i entered 'boards.ie' in my message, the site insta-changed it to nobs.ie, rofl :)

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!! Post a link will you???

Actually I'm totally banned even though I have not posted in about a year, but they figured it out somehow and banned me for ever. It's a shame cause there are loads of sound people on there I know loads of them and have gone on Dozens of rideouts, unfortunately the site is spoiled by a few tools

Zascar wrote: »
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!! Post a link will you??

http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?p=1589384&posted=1#post1589384

Latest post by me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

weather forecast looks like poo for the next few day - still though unless it's snow I'm still going in

reece wrote: »
    weather forecast looks like poo for the next few day - still though unless it's snow I'm still going in

I'd have no problem going at in snow TBH, at least you can see snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

KamiKazi wrote: »
    I'd have no problem going at in snow TBH, at least you can see snow.

Have you ridden on snow? I can remember fishtailing it all the way home last year. Dropped it 3 times in the space of 500 yards

reece wrote: »
    Have you ridden on snow? I can remember fishtailing it all the way home last year. Dropped it 3 times in the space of 500 yards

Sounds like great fun :D

I rode the 'blade in the snow. Awesome fun! :D

• Advertisement

I rode the 'blade in the snow. Awesome fun! :D

did it melt the snow? like a hot knife through butter :D

Advertisement