Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night Club Problem

Options
  • 30-11-2009 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭

My friend x went into town last week with a few friends..His friend were aloud in but x wasnt..The friends had already bought tickets into the place before the found out x wasnt aloud in.They never even went into the club when they tried to get a refund so they could go to another club but were not aloud because a sign said "NO REFUNDS".Is this even aloud given th circumstances.I thought by state law,if a consumer is not happy with the product or service,he is entitled to credit or a refund

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

It wasn't the customer who was unhappy, it was the seller. I agree that a refund might have been forthcoming. But why was the person refused?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

It'd usually be at the discretion of the establisment.

The club has the right to refuse entry, your friends who had paid in were granted entry - it was their own choice not to continue the night in that club.

It'd be the same if you bought a jumper in a shop, brought it home and decided that you didn't like it - the shop might offer store credit but probably not a refund.

A bit scabby on the part of the club, but I'd be surprised if they did anything illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

They would have stayed in that club if he was aloud in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Fol20 wrote: »
    My friend x went into town last week with a few friends..His friend were aloud in but x wasnt..The friends had already bought tickets into the place before the found out x wasnt aloud in.They never even went into the club when they tried to get a refund so they could go to another club but were not aloud because a sign said "NO REFUNDS".Is this even aloud given th circumstances.I thought by state law,if a consumer is not happy with the product or service,he is entitled to credit or a refund

I think you should stay at school and learn how to spell and then maybe learn a little about consumer law.

The word you are looking for is "ALLOW / ALLOWED"

Your friends who paid in were allowed in. They were not refused admission and they were not kicked out of the club.

Unfortunately the the third person was not allowed in as they must have contravened club policy / looked dodgy / underage as per club rules or had drink taken. All of which are valid reasons for refusing entry.

The two who were allowed into the club decided themselves that they did not want to enter and were not prevented from doing so by the club. The club did not sell you entry based on the third person being allowed in and therefore the club is fully within their rights to refuse a refund.

They paid for entry and were permitted to enter, the fact that they left before going through the magic door has no relevance whatsoever.

darc wrote: »
    I think you should stay at school and learn how to spell and then maybe learn a little about consumer law.

Your friends who paid in were allowed in. They were not refused admission and they were not kicked out of the club.

Unfortunately the the third person was not allowed in as they must have contravened club policy / looked dodgy / underage as per club rules or had drink taken. All of which are valid reasons for refusing entry.

The two who were allowed into the club decided themselves that they did not want to enter and were not prevented from doing so by the club. The club did not sell you entry based on the third person being allowed in and therefore the club is fully within their rights to refuse a refund.

They paid for entry and were permitted to enter, the fact that they left before going through the magic door has no relevance whatsoever.

I hate people that correct grammer ,your probably some ****ing loner who has nothing better to do.You get what i mean yet you still want to correct my spelling;NERD!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Your friends were not entitled to a refund. They changed their mind because person x was not allowed in. A business does not have to offer a refund because of change of mind.

A shop is not obliged by law to take back a jumper because you bought it and decided that you don't like it anymore. Some do but they do not have to by Law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

I hate people that correct grammer! You're probably some ****ing loner who has nothing better to do.You get what I mean yet you still want to correct my spelling. NERD!!

FYP

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

They would have stayed in that club if he was aloud in

This however is a seperate matter to your refund
    I hate people that correct grammer ,your probably some ****ing loner who has nothing better to do.You get what i mean yet you still want to correct my spelling;NERD!!

Your posting on a message board same as the other poster yet he's the nerd? sure ok.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Seriously?! Kindergarten is thataway ---->>>>

Infracted. Be polite in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

I agree, no need to be a wank3r and correct spelling.

Wank3r or not, he has a point; there's nothing illegal going on, however it was pretty unfair on the night clubs behalf not to let you in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I agree, no need to be a wank3r and correct spelling.
    So just leave him go on spelling it wrongly forever?
    I hate people that correct grammer
    It's grammar...

In future make sure you are all in past the bouncers before paying. It would be a good trick, they get your money and send you on your way, knowing you will probably all head off if one is not let in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

I hate people that correct grammer
    rubadub wrote: »

It's grammar...

Actually in this case it was spelling that was the issue, but everyone continue derailing the thread :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Actually in this case it was spelling that was the issue, but everyone continue derailing the thread :)
    It is not being derailed; it is being taken to new and interesting places as the original question was answered!

Where do i appeal this,if i get an infraction, darc should get one as well.Your being a bit hypocritical in the sense that he insulted me so i insulted him back.He initiated the thread spoiling and i only let him know how appreciated i am of his comment.

As a moderator i though your purpose his to keep thread on point,yep gj....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Punctuation also. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Where do i appeal this,if i get an infraction, darc should get one as well.Your being a bit hypocritical in the sense that he insulted me so i insulted him back.He initiated the thread spoiling and i only let him know how appreciated i am of his comment.

You are = You're and not your

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

hmmmmm, looking at OPs attitude, I am no longer wondering why her "friend x" is not allowed into the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

Dare I mention appreciated/appreciative?
    or i/I?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - enough on the spelling/punctuation/grammar argument. I will not tolerate any more.

OP - All nightclubs reserve the right of admission, regardless of whether a person has a pre-purchased ticket or not. This means that they were within their rights to deny entry to the individual.

Furthermore, each ticket-holder had an individual contract with the nightclub. Therefore the refusal of entry to one person does not affect the rights of any of the others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

.I thought by state law,if a consumer is not happy with the product or service,he is entitled to credit or a refund

You thought wrong. There is no provision for change of mind on goods. When you buy somethign, it's yours and the shop has no obligation to take it back unless it's fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

The club has the right to refuse entry but they do have to give you a reason. If for example you are stopped because you are a member of the travelling community then that is against the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

The club has the right to refuse entry but they do have to give you a reason. If for example you are stopped because you are a member of the travelling community then that is against the law.

Do they?

I dont think they have to give a reason. If they do, then you can argue about it. There are several different types of discrimination. Gender, sexual orientation, traveller, disability and a few more (cannot remember the rest). It is down to the patron to prove one of these, in this case, it does not look like they can.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Do they?

I dont think they have to give a reason. If they do, then you can argue about it. There are several different types of discrimination. Gender, sexual orientation, traveller, disability and a few more (cannot remember the rest). It is down to the patron to prove one of these, in this case, it does not look like they can.

Lets see they can say you've had too much or your too young, OP did the person that was stopped have ID?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 BEBOKING

I was stopped the one and only time in my life going to well known club(which sounds like a well known cigar) a few years back and was giving no reason and told go for a walk and come back in an hours and when I did I was stopped again and when I asked the bouncer why he stopped me he said I don't have to tell you fcuking nothing.I then asked the head bouncer what did I do wrong and asked him to call the manager which he refused to do and he said to leave it and I tried one last time with the original bouncer and he muttered something about me being drunk but there was only one problem to that suggestion!!

I don't drink!!!

I felt disgraced and people were actually sticking up for me who didn't know me cause they could see I was badly wronged.

Some bouncers in Cork are a disgrace and are on a sad power trip.

I haven't stepped foot in that club since and never will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

rubadub wrote: »
    So just leave him go on spelling it wrongly forever?

I think it was the condescending (and quite frankly, wankerish - oh wait is that not a word!?! :rolleyes:) manner in which he was corrected. Besides, he's not the guys parents or teacher or whatever. I hate bad grammar but just being a prick like that is uncalled for (not you, darc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

dudara wrote: »
    Posters - enough on the spelling/punctuation/grammar argument. I will not tolerate any more.

Oops. Only saw this now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

:D:D:D

The idea of throwing in the wrong word error comment was to see the reaction from the OP.

I think we now know why person number 3 was not allowed in especially if they have a similar style of attack that the OP has. Or maybe it the OP themselves that were not allowed in????

I'm well past sell by date on clubs, (I fondly remember Blinkers!) and in my time the bouncers could discriminate whatever way they liked. What I learnt, was be polite as pie to the bouncers, bow in their presence and then call them whatever names you wish under your breath or in your head.

Unfortunately too many people think the bouncers are a challenge and that they know everything about "the law" and that they'll get the bouncer sacked etc etc and then get peeved when they're told to eff off!

Manners is all that's needed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 BEBOKING

The idea of throwing in the wrong word error comment was to see the reaction from the OP.

I think we now know why person number 3 was not allowed in especially if they have a similar style of attack that the OP has. Or maybe it the OP themselves that were not allowed in????

I'm well past sell by date on clubs, (I fondly remember Blinkers!) and in my time the bouncers could discriminate whatever way they liked. What I learnt, was be polite as pie to the bouncers, bow in their presence and then call them whatever names you wish under your breath or in your head.

Unfortunately too many people think the bouncers are a challenge and that they know everything about "the law" and that they'll get the bouncer sacked etc etc and then get peeved when they're told to eff off!

Manners you say??I certainly don't think I know everything about "the law" as you say and am always polite to everyone but some bouncers are nasty,rude people who actually think they are something special!!

I agree that some people act disgracefully to bouncers but also lots of people get treated disgracefully by bouncers when they have done nothing to warrant it!!

I hate the way lots of people assume when you get stopped you must of deserved it.I used to be like that till the day I was stopped and then saw things differently.

I just feel sorry for people who are wrongly stopped by bouncers.That's all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

I dont think we learnt anything about the OP from your test but we learnt alot about you.

Advertisement