Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slug pellet poisoning!

Options
  • 30-11-2009 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭

Unfortunately my 5month old labrador pup accidentally got hold of slug pellets yesterday evening and is now very ill.We are hoping for the best but it doesnt look good. I was wondering if anyone else on here's dog has been poisoned by slug pellets before and what way their situation went? he is in the best hands possible now in UCD veterinary hospital but his shakes etc wouldnt cease last night so he had to be anesthethised. He hasn't yet come out of it and is in a type of coma. We are just sitting hoping he will come out of it later today or by tomoro. Love this puppy to bits. Its so upsetting. He is the most loveable happy pup!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

sorry to hear that - but as you say he's in the best of care at the moment - did he eat them out of the garden or get hold of a container of them?

I think the inducement of a coma is a good thing for poisening as it helps control the body while removing the poison

This happened to my five year old lab. He was staying in a relatives house and they had slug pellets scattered in the flower beds. My dog being the moron he is ate a couple of snails that had ingested the pellets.

He had a fit and puked but he got over it within a day. Im not sure if thats because of his age or the quantity he ate. Hope your puppys ok!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭li-evo7

Paul91 wrote: »
    sorry to hear that - but as you say he's in the best of care at the moment - did he eat them out of the garden or get hold of a container of them?

I think the inducement of a coma is a good thing for poisening as it helps control the body while removing the poison

They were in a container on the window sill in the stables and he knocked them over. My mam was there at the time and heard something fall outside...she came straight out and saw them on ground and him but she didnt know he had eaten any. Two hours later I found him in our utility room having a seizure! our other labrador was brill..she started scratching on the door(which she never does) to alert us!

By the time we knew he ingested them it was too late to make him vomit.They did give him anesthetic to control the body but he should have come around by now and he hasnt... They think it probably due to other problems he may have developed like pneumonia and from seizing they can have brain damage!I really hope he pulls through. Iif only we noticed sooner

This happened to my five year old lab. He was staying in a relatives house and they had slug pellets scattered in the flower beds. My dog being the moron he is ate a couple of snails that had ingested the pellets.

He had a fit and puked but he got over it within a day. Im not sure if thats because of his age or the quantity he ate. Hope your puppys ok!

Glad to hear your dog was ok! ours not looking good though. He was convulsing and shaking from 8 until 11 last night before they had to have him fully sedated to control it and then he stil kept having slight shakes so he had to be put under anesthetic. He stil not come round today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I'm really sorry, I have no advice, but he's definitely in the best possible place.

Don't beat yourself up, sometimes accidents happen, its very sad but he is a lab, and we all know what they're like with eating things. When you realised what had happened you got him to the vet, nothing more you could have done. Hopefully he'll pull through and come home, and then you can spoil him rotten:D

Please keep us posted on how he's doing. My thoughts and best wishes are with you and the pup.

• Advertisement

li-evo7 wrote: »
    our other labrador was brill..she started scratching on the door(which she never does) to alert us!

i think dogs are a lot more intelligent (or maybe intuative) than people give them credit - keep us posted

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

god im so sorry your poor pup is going through this ,fingers crossed for him,.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

That's awful for you and your pup. He must have eaten a large number of the pellets in such a short space of time, or else he just reacted very violently to them, neither of which you could do anything about as your mum came out straight away to see what he was up to and did her best to prevent him eating the full contents of the container.

Our neighbours dog recovered having picked up poison. He was very sick with it and required a few blood transfusions and intensive care treatment for about a week. The recovery was quite slow, but he got there in the end and is fine now.
    Hopefully it works out for your dog, too.

convert wrote: »
    That's awful for you and your pup. He must have eaten a large number of the pellets in such a short space of time, or else he just reacted very violently to them, neither of which you could do anything about as your mum came out straight away to see what he was up to and did her best to prevent him eating the full contents of the container.

Our neighbours dog recovered having picked up poison. He was very sick with it and required a few blood transfusions and intensive care treatment for about a week. The recovery was quite slow, but he got there in the end and is fine now.
    Hopefully it works out for your dog, too.

Thats good to hear!! Just got a call from vet there. He stil comatosed but not as bad as he was this morning ie.there is more movement/reaction from him but he stil asleep. His heart and respiratory rate gone down which is good. They dont think he has pneumonia anymore. They said they are sure its just a minor upper respiratory problem due to the heavy breathing etc. He still not great but the minor improvements keeping us hopeful. They said they would be surprised if there wasnt a huge improvement by tomoro.

Thats great news, hopefully he'll continue to improve.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Fingers crossed he'll be sitting up wagging his tail tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 maroongael

Really hope your little puppy ges better, how upsetting for everyone. Fingers crossed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭rororoyourboat

Hope he's OK OP. x

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

hope you hear some good news today:)
    poor old pup

my fingers are crossed - and toes and ears

any update lil-evo7?

Paul91 wrote: »
    my fingers are crossed - and toes and ears

any update lil-evo7?

Little Logan woke up this morning!! he was very wobbly. Vet rang earlier again and said he is up and trying to run around and everything. His coordination isn't all back yet though so he still a bit wobbly on his feet. She said he is doing great though and might be able to come home tomoro. She also said he should be perfectly normal as he isnt showing any side effects so far. So happy!!!:D My other dog is missing him terrible. Its amazing how they bond over things. She hated him when he first came and they only started gettin on great last few weeks. She has been moping about since he left and keeps getting up and looking around for him poor thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

li-evo7 wrote: »
    Little Logan woke up this morning!! he was very wobbly. Vet rang earlier again and said he is up and trying to run around and everything. His coordination isn't all back yet though so he still a bit wobbly on his feet. She said he is doing great though and might be able to come home tomoro. She also said he should be perfectly normal as he isnt showing any side effects so far. So happy!!!:D My other dog is missing him terrible. Its amazing how they bond over things. She hated him when he first came and they only started gettin on great last few weeks. She has been moping about since he left and keeps getting up and looking around for him poor thing

Fantastic! Thanks for keeping us updated!

That is fantastic news, I'm absolutely delighted for you all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭spiderdog

awwwww thats such great news!!!! :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

That's great news, li-evo! Hopefully he continues to improve and that you have him home tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

Great news Im glad for you all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Great news :)

made my day :D thanks for letting us know

to be honest i never knew slug pellets could do so much damage, so glad this story came to light - warning for me and others - thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭annefitzy

Glad to hear your dog is doing ok....I went throug this experience a few yrs ago with a rescued cat she was due to be spayed sadly she started having sesures one night I rang a vet and he was useless wouldnt even come out said they didnt do house calls for cats:eek:
    I went through the phone book and found the number of sunbeam:) this was my first dealings with the pratice I phoned them and they were great the vet came out and gave the cat someting to sedate it and told me that there was 50/50 chance of the cat making it all that friday night we tried to figure out wat the cat had taken the. vet kept phoning and I kept giving updates by the morning it was clear that the cat had to go to the vet hospital in the sunbeam:( she was put in a coma to relax her body and we wer told that she had little or no chance we were also told that she was pregnant and that she would abort the kitten....We went through every thing and we can only surmise that it was slug pellets, from that day to this I have never used slug pellets and have asked my neighbours not to either...the cat made it and went on to have a litter of 9 kittens 4 were deformed and died soon after birth 5 were healthy and were later rehomed as was the mom cat...
    This was my first experience with the vet all them yrs ago;) and I take my own animals there now
    For some reason Cats and Dogs like the taste of slug pellets the vet told me they get a lot of cases in and a lot of the animals dont make it
    Well the rescued cat we found did make it and highlighted my awareness on stuff that is kept in houses and garden sheds ect

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Eyespy

That's fantastic news, I'm so delighted for you and your dog. It's awful to see a pet ill, here's to a full recovery for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 arl

HOPE YOUR DOG GETS BETTER SOON

Logan came home today!!! ha when I collected him he pulled the lead out of the vets hand when he saw me and ran over to me. Couldn't believe how well he is considering the last time I saw him we all thought he wouldnt last too much longer. The vet said she cant believe it either. Hes like a miracle considering how bad he was. He has no brain damage etc. His lungs are stil a bit chesty but he only on antibiotics for that for 2 weeks. He has a swelling on his leg but the vet said its probably from hitting it off something when seizing. He has to have a check up in 2 weeks and then a test on his liver in 6 months cause they can develop liver problems a while after poisoning. He is in the kitchen by the fire happy as larry and was delighted to be reunited with the other dog. Those UCD vets are incredible. Logan's one will be tucking into a big box of roses tonight haha. I wish there was more I could give her for saving his life!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 arl

Oh that is great news

Thats brilliant, so pleased that he's home safe and sound.

Give him a big hug from us.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

That's great news, well done Logan!!!!:D

Advertisement