Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

flat roof leak yesterday...

Options
  • 30-11-2009 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

Hi,

"Large" quantities of water coming through my kitchen ceiling yesterday made me reconsider the plan to look out for a roofer that can fix the entire flat roof properly, but instead I need some advice on how to best quick fix roof.

I can't see any obvious holes, but the felt is cracked in many places.

It's an old torch-on felt (so I believe anyway). As I'm not sure where it leaks in, I need to patch up/cover about 4+ sqm.

So my question is what should I use, given that the roof is wet and the ever present likelyhood of rain.

would something like THOMPSON'S One Coat Roof Seal or the Emergency Roof Seal range work given the current weather/temps. Or is there some other DIY store product?

Or any PM recommendations for roofer in North Dublin that could show up at short notice and help with the patching and/or do a proper fixing job later.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

do a quick search in here for the poster rooferpete, he has been very helpful on here in the past and seems to be a pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Thanks, I've tried contacting rooferpete via PM a few weeks back, but it seems he hasn't been on boards for a while... and searching old posts hasn't really unearthed much.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

had a look at the Thompson product datasheets and they say don't use at temps below 10 C. Any thoughts on the use of such products at current low temps.
    Or is my only option to get it refelted at this time of the year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Prpbably wasting your time with thompsons.

You really need to strip back and redo roof with a pitch on it away from the house.

Temporarily i would get some thick dpc plastic and cover the roof.

Use 2 x 1 timber at sides/front and try to clamp it with these nailed to fascia having streatched it as best you can. Pure temporary but will stop waterfalls inside.

Advertisement