Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What external?

• 30-11-2009 4:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question.
    I bought this computer recently, and i have a 1tb external. What type, make extra of external would connect directly to the connections at the top of the tower? it provides for USB and power etc, and would be tidyer. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Lokks like it uses an eSata connection for the 'dock' on the top. I'd say you'd have to buy the actual Medion HD (link), as even if you got another make of HD with an eSata connection there would be no guarantee that it would match up with the eSata dock on the PC (I'm open to correction on this. Maybe they are all standard)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭budhabob

mordeith wrote: »
    Lokks like it uses an eSata connection for the 'dock' on the top. I'd say you'd have to buy the actual Medion HD (link), as even if you got another make of HD with an eSata connection there would be no guarantee that it would match up with the eSata dock on the PC (I'm open to correction on this. Maybe they are all standard)

Thanks, thats what i'm unsure of aswell. Medion have one for £80 whose "eSata is compatible with all Medion Computers". So that might be my only option.

I had a revelation yesterday, but still need some advice. I could just buy an extra internal Harddrive, this would mean faster transfer, and less cables. Thing is, how do i tell what internal HD my machine will be able to run and connect to? Is it just a matter of popping the desktop case off and having a look?

The internal HD is more than likely going to have a SATA connection. Any 3.5" sata drive will fit.

mordeith wrote: »
    The internal HD is more than likely going to have a SATA connection. Any 3.5" sata drive will fit.
    Nice one Mordeith, I had a look at the manual last night but it just described the eSATA connection. It didnt mention additional internal drives or any other useful information unfortunately.
    I think you may be right however. I'll have a wee look inside the case over the weekend.

• Advertisement

You should definitely have room in the drive bay for another internal drive. Just make sure you have a spare SATA controller on the motherboard. If so, and you go ahead an get an extra drive, make sure it comes with a SATA cable or if not, order one seperately (they're very cheap)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Your case has 2xUSB2 & 1xeSATA connector on the front, and 4xUSB2 and 1x Firewire at the back - selecting 'further details' tells you!.

eSATA is a standard connection, and can be incorporated into a combined eSATA / USB slot also, found on some newer motherboards.

Therefore, for an external HDD, you can use eSATA (preferable), Firewire (next) and USB2 (least preferable). I put those in order of transfer speed.

Advertisement