Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loaded gun taken from man outside jail

Options
  • 30-11-2009 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭

Jebus, this would be funny if it wasn't so bloody damaging.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1130/mountjoy.html

Why does a binman feel the need to carry a loaded concealed sidearm to work ?? I presume the "cartridges" are magazines.

"When the driver was asked at the security checkpoint if he had anything on him that he should not have, he showed them a loaded Walther semi-automatic pistol and two cartridges with 14 rounds of ammunition."

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Taken From RTE Website

While the man may have had a licence for the weapon in his home country, Romania, he did not have it licenced in Ireland.

Illegally held Firearm, unlicensed, concealed carrying, foreigner. Has everything going for him. Knew it couldn't be a sports shooter. We have tried too hard to hold onto our firearms (however successful) for some "numpty" to go and f**k it all up. No self respecting firearm licensee/owner would act in such a way. Gets what he deserves so.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Before we go too far with this thread, let's all remember that the person in this case is entitled to a fair hearing under the law, the same as all the rest of us.
    The only bearing I can see that his nationality might have might be on the status of the firearm and his ownership/possession of it in his home country.

I fully agree that this looks like yet another 'stick' for the hand-wringers and noble guardians to beat us with, but please let's keep the speculation and vitriol to a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

TBH it is no different from any other pistol siezed from any other criminal in this state.
    Anyone found to be carrying like this should face the full rigours of the law.
    This has nothing to do with our sport.
    Wrong Forum IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭greenpeter

What has this got to do with shooting?? NOTHING.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Quote from RTE: "he did not have it licenced in Ireland"

Well, at least, it now appears that RTE knows the difference between a licenced firearm and an unlicenced firearm!:D

Interesting to note that RTE also refer to the article in question as: Gun (x2), Handgun (x1), Pistol (x1), and Weapon only once. So that's not so bad then!!:D:D:rolleyes:

Well, as others have put it: This has nothing to do with the shooting sports in general and us licenced firearms owners! Thankfully.:rolleyes: But will it be seen that way by Joe & Josephine Public? Let's hope so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I agree with CJ, story has no connection to shooting. Should be in news and media or legal ayybe. It'll be interesting to see what the story is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I think since it's got nothing to do with our sports, we can safely close this thread and follow it elsewhere...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement