Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who do you think is the best Manager in the World?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Kenteach

Ancelloti
    Has to be Fergie. No point debating what coulda, woulda, shoulda if it was a different club, resources, etc. Don't like the man, but can't argue with his record as a manager (in all his managerial positions).

The big question, though, in a poll about the best manager in the world, is Benitez mentioned because he happens to be the current manager of one of the premier leagues Top 4? Hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Hiddink
    NOTE TO OP: make a new poll without ferguson in it who will obviously get the votes of biased united supporters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Ancelloti
    DazMarz wrote: »
    Sir Alex Ferguson will probably go down in history as the greatest football manager ever. The list of trophies and competitions the man has won alone would make it so (Premier League, FA Cup, European Cup, World Club Cup, ad nauseum).

However, there is one problem I can see with all this: since 1986, when he started his tenure, Sir Alex Ferguson has had control over one of the richest, most powerful clubs in football. He has had almost infinite resources at his disposal, with which to buy and sell players almost at will. Their youth system, second to none, has also had this advantage of having the best of everything (equipment, scouts, facilities etc.) and has allowed Ferguson to not only have free reign over the transfer markets but also to tap into a rich vein of rising stars moving through the Academy.

Not to take anything from the man, but do Manchester United under-perform on the European stage? Again, the richest and most powerful football club in the world, and since Ferguson took over, they've won the European Cup twice. Since 1986. Twice in 23 years. To win the European Cup twice sounds impressive, but when you add the adendum ''in 23 years'' it loses some of its lustre. Yes, United have been one of the big teams in Europe, consistently reaching knock-out stages of the European Cup year in, year out. But merely being the richest and most powerful club in football, they surely should have won it more than twice in 23 years?

Would Sir Alex Ferguson be the best manager in history if he did not have the backing of millionaires, huge resources and stewardship of the biggest club in the world? Would he have become so lauded and so revered at a lesser club? Highly unlikely.

But then, all that said and done, 11 Premier League titles in 17 years of the Premier League (since the 1992-93 season) is a remarkable acheivement.

But I still wonder, without all of the riches and all of the power and glamour of a club like Manchester United, would Ferguson have been as revered? If someone else had taken the job in 1986, would they be now upon the same pedestal as he is, or would it have imploded?

Sir Alex Ferguson is a great manager, but, in all fairness, with such a club and such resources behind him, he should be.

Aberdeen. Won 3 Scottish titles, 5 cups and even had success in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Ancelloti
    Sheepy99 wrote: »
    To anyone who votes for Fergie : NO.
    NOTE TO OP: make a new poll without ferguson in it who will obviously get the votes of biased united supporters.

Care to list why he's not the best manager of all? Who got your vote?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Ancelloti

lol actually a few of liverpool and chelsea fans have voted for him and the odd utd fan voted for Wenger

btw Dave you should be ashamed of yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Ancelloti
    Seriously, Dave!, jem, Royale with Cheese, spockety. CMON.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Ancelloti
    DSB wrote: »
    Seriously, Dave!, jem, Royale with Cheese, spockety. CMON.

tbf, Fergie will run a muck with this poll.

there's probably a bit of room for a few p*ss-takes ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Hiddink
    normalinternetseriousbuz.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Ancelloti
    havnt read the thread but IMO stupid question, its obv Fergie. Saw Guardiola in poll. lol lol lol lol lol. ffs hes a manager a few years. Watch Barca destroy and choke and replace as usual and he will dissapear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Ferguson
    Don Fabio for me. I'll be sticking a few quid on England to win the World Cup with him in charge. Fergie and Wenger round out my top 3 in no particular order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Ancelloti
    It's Ferguson, pah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Ancelloti
    The best manager is without a doubt Fergie, The second best is his successor, The Special One, Jose ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭smoochie06

Ancelloti
    Pains me to say it but Ferguson would be the best manager in the world for me. Consistently winning major trophies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Simon Grayson! 70% win record since he has taken over!!! In Grayson we trust!!! Marching on together!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

Mark Hughes is the name your all looking for.... I'm kidding, Wenger is the man who got my vote.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Lads, it aint as impressive winning major trophies when you got sack loads of cash to help achieve this. The fact of the matter is Manchester United's success came at the right time. Their first title coincided with the beginning of the Sky Era, and all the rewards that came with it. In addition the European Cup became the Champions League and for a significant amount of time Manchester United were the only English team in this competition (and so the only english team receiving the ridiculous revenue from the competition). This helped them pull away and stay away from the rest, financially and therefore on the pitch aswell.

Not taking away from Alex Fergusen as a manager. What he did with Aberdeen is truely remarkeable, and his achievements with United in the early 90's (when it was more of a level playing field) is extremely impressive. Its not his fault he got more rewards for winning than Liverpool, Arsenal and Everton got for their successes in the 1980's. However I think we must not overhype his achievements with United since the late 90's onwards. Football is a different game now. Its dominated by those who have the most cash, and United are not short of it, making Fergie's job so much easier.

EDIT: In case anybody thinks I am a fan of a rival club, I'm not. I follow no english team, so I am not biased in any way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Mike Bassett.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Ferguson
    CHD wrote: »
    havnt read the thread but IMO stupid question, its obv Fergie. Saw Guardiola in poll. lol lol lol lol lol. ffs hes a manager a few years. Watch Barca destroy and choke and replace as usual and he will dissapear.

As opposed to Chelsea, a shining beacon of patience is it? How many managers have you had in the past 3 seasons? 5 is it? Worse than Real tbh. If Barca's achievements over it's history warrant the term 'chokers', then Chelsea are literally organisms that live on the Tim Henman's faeces.

Ancelloti
    eZe^ wrote: »
    As opposed to Chelsea, a shining beacon of patience is it? How many managers have you had in the past 3 seasons? 5 is it? Worse than Real tbh. If Barca's achievements over it's history warrant the term 'chokers', then Chelsea are literally organisms that live on the Tim Henman's faeces.
    lol. When did i say anything about Chelsea? I'm not bothered anyway as i don't remeber posting that and my hangover hurts. Love how you get so childish about Barca though :)

Ferguson
    It's pretty true though, if you look at relative success. And I'll obviously irrationally defend my club, I thought that was pretty much a rule amongst football fans.

• Advertisement

Ancelloti
    eZe^ wrote: »
    It's pretty true though, if you look at relative success. And I'll obviously irrationally defend my club, I thought that was pretty much a rule amongst football fans.
    Nope, you lost that right when you became a mod, you actually have to be sensible now :pac:

I know Chelsea have been terrible with managers lately, i don't need you too tell me! There is no way Pep can be considered a great manager yet either.

Ferguson
    And I agree 100% with you, it'd be ludicrous to even mention him in the same breath as Capello or Ferguson, he hasn't managed for more than 2.5 years ffs. He does have potential, as he seems to be incredibly intelligent and works with pain staking detail. But he did inherit an world class team, so perspective is needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Don Fabio for me. I'll be sticking a few quid on England to win the World Cup with him in charge.

:pac:
    Keep your money in your pocket or give it to charity, dont throw it away..

Ferguson for me unfortunately.
    He is easily head and shoulders over almost all the managers in the poll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

To be honest this is a tough one. I'd probably go for Capello however Fergie does run him close. I know Fergie has the track record of consistently winning but then again everywhere Fabio has gone he has won too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Didn't get to vote but definately Sir Alex Ferguson

Advertisement