Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

location of new Met.IE weather stations

Options
  • 30-11-2009 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭

Hi all,Now that the winter has started to set in, I've started my annual interest in browsing Met.ie for snow forecasts and "how cold it got last night" checks. As it's been months since I've logged into this website, one thing I've noticed since checking latest reports is the number of new weather stations and the removal of others (eg Birr, Kilkenny, Clones etc). Does anyone which counties the stations below are located and whether they are inland or coastal locations - perhaps pointing to the nearest big town so I can get an idea of area? (Apologies if this question has already come up elsewhere on the forum)BALLYHAISE(A) GURTEEN(A) JOHNSTOWN CASTLE(A) MACE HEAD(A) SHERKIN ISLAND(A)

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Google is your man as most of these stations are not near any major towns (for that reason).

All locations actaully have their own websites as they are all either agricultural colleges/research centres (Gurteen, Ballyhaise and Johnstown Castle), a marine research station (Sherkin) and an atmospheric research station (Mace Head).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Plenty of stations here, and their locations to keep you going.

nilhg wrote: »
    Plenty of stations here, and their locations to keep you going.

Anyone here have a link with the irish weather network? If I could get the coordinates of all those stations on file I could interpolate the temperatures giving a surface temp map for all of Ireland. Would be interesting to see how it would come out!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The suspects are named in this thread here, I am sure the development crew would be delighted Blindjustice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Met.ie has location of 3 of them. not updated with Mace Head and Sherkin Island yet
    http://www.met.ie/about/weatherobservingstations/default.asp

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

April 2009 Maps from the Met!

WebClimMap1.gif

WebSynopMap2.gif

WebRainMap3.gif

Advertisement