Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updates to christianity forum charter

Options
  • 30-11-2009 12:01pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭

PDN wrote: »
    You are the one who advocates censorship of stuff that disagrees with your own ideology, not me.
    Not completely true.
    I don't think one bigoted poster is representative of atheism in general.
    I agree, and thankfully one bigoted Christian also isn't representative of Christianity, in general.
    Folks -- calling people bigots simply because they disagree with you does nothing for the tone of the forum.

Do try to avoid it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

robindch wrote: »
    Not completely true.
    So, moderating a forum on boards.ie in compliance with the Charter in order to meet the needs of the regular posters (as requested by the Admins) is now equivalent to advocating censorship in society as a whole? I think that's what is known as 'jumping the shark'.
    Folks -- calling people bigots simply because they disagree with you does nothing for the tone of the forum.

Do try to avoid it.
    I assure you that I have not called anyone a bigot simply because they disagree with me. I have called someone a bigot because they advocate censoring stuff they don't like on ideological grounds (dishonestly pretending that it is on moral grounds) and because they would like to see those of us who fail to share their ideology banished to another part of the world.

In contrast, I point anyone to the airport who moans about how hard done by they are in getting to live in a wealthy western democracy. I don't care whether they are scientologists, atheists, baptists, agnostics or muslims.

However, I apologise if I have lowered the high tone of this forum.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

However, I apologise if I have lowered the high tone of this forum.
    That's 10 Hail Mary's right there, young man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Why so aggresive? Is it really neccessary to be so aggressive to get your point across. I probably agree with you on more points than either of us like to admit (your voting patterns for example) but that confrontational style puts me and others off.

Probably the main reason for my 'aggression' is that I'm still pissed off by Arsenal losing so badly yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I assure you that I have not called anyone a bigot simply because they disagree with me. I have called someone a bigot because they advocate censoring stuff they don't like on ideological grounds

Which you do quite frequently in your modding

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

So, moderating a forum on boards.ie in compliance with the Charter in order to meet the needs of the regular posters (as requested by the Admins) is now equivalent to advocating censorship in society as a whole? I think that's what is known as 'jumping the shark'.

I would call it an accurate description. The censorship you employ on your forum is equivilent to the censorship you and yours (try) to employ in society in that in both cases the purpose of the censorship is not to protect the masses from potentially damaging material, but to protect your own ideals and opinions from the tough, but legitimate, questions.
    I assure you that I have not called anyone a bigot simply because they disagree with me. I have called someone a bigot because they advocate censoring stuff they don't like on ideological grounds (dishonestly pretending that it is on moral grounds) and because they would like to see those of us who fail to share their ideology banished to another part of the world.

Did I miss something? Where did the OP say they wanted to censor something?
    In contrast, I point anyone to the airport who moans about how hard done by they are in getting to live in a wealthy western democracy. I don't care whether they are scientologists, atheists, baptists, agnostics or muslims.

Why? Is this democracy perfect? Should people not always strive to improve things, no matter what they already have? Pointing out the crap that happens in this country isn't an implication that its the worst thing that has ever happened ever just like me complaining about my sore foot isn't me trying to say its the worst injury to happen to anyone ever. Such reasoning, "quit complaining, there are worse off than you" is generally used by the people the complaining is being done about and serves no purpose besides to try and remove the blame from their shoulders.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Thread created to discuss the recent changes in the charter to the christianity forum. Messages from existing thread in A+A will be moved in here shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

As Help Desk only supports threads created by 1 user (other people can't reply to threads created by you), there isn't actually any point in moving other peoples posts here.

If you have a specific problem with a Mod, please create a seperate thread with the relevant information collated in a form that makes a bit more sense :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement